Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC Young Chorister of the Year

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Dec-20 13:40:59

Watching the final now. I have my favourites!

So far we've heard that one of them nearly lost his mother to Covid and then when I'd wiped away my tears the wonderful counter tenor said his father had died from Covid.

What courageous and wonderful young people.

I'm eagerly awaiting the result.

Anniebach Sun 06-Dec-20 13:47:27

Me to merlot

merlotgran Sun 06-Dec-20 14:35:29

I loved them all but agreed with the result.

They were all winners IMO

Deedaa Mon 07-Dec-20 21:32:44

They were wonderful singers and it was so interesting hearing all the judges comments. They helped me realise exactly what I had liked about the performances. I was particularly impressed by the counter tenor. I'd always thought that it was a voice that took longer to develop so to see a 14 year ols was amazing.

Luckygirl Mon 07-Dec-20 22:29:00

I think that John Rutter was an absolute star - he enthused and encouraged whilst at the same time making useful observations that will give them things to work on in the future. I thought he got it spot-on - very impressive.

I met him shortly after his son had been killed and was amazed that he was there at the workshop - a very brave man.

I think the girl who came second should have won and the boy been second - but it is so much a matter of the sort of voice that you like.

merlotgran Tue 08-Dec-20 10:56:37

You could be right about the result, Luckygirl. The girl who came second (I'm rubbish at remembering names) was my favourite from the start but the young boy had such an appealing manner as well as a sublime voice that I'm not surprised he won.

Being so young his voice will have more mileage so maybe that's another reason they chose him.

John Rutter is much loved around these parts. His son's death was a terrible tragedy.

Parsley3 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:07:58

What talented young people. It must have been so difficult to choose. I especially loved Ruby but they were all excellent.

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 11:14:31

I agree with all the comments posted thus far - a truly uplifting programme! The carol “Mary, Did You Know?” is so poignant and must resonate with mothers and grandmothers everywhere. The winner wouldn’t have been my choice but they were all impressive, especially the counter tenor with his sad family history.
The BBC brings us excellent programmes on Sunday mornings at the moment!

nadateturbe Fri 18-Dec-20 18:58:01

Have not read the comments. OH is out meeting his BF first time since Covid. So I am alone with a little glass of wine watching now. Aah bliss!

nadateturbe Fri 18-Dec-20 20:56:09

Oh I did enjoy that. Absolutely wonderful. All of them. The winner had a lovely voice although I couldn't make out all his words. I would have chosen Sebastian who sang Gaudete. But so difficult to choose.

nadateturbe Sun 20-Dec-20 22:06:11

Songs of Praise was from St Pauls Cathedral today. The winner of Young Chorister sang a carol with the choir. It was lovely. Also Andrea Bocelli sang an unusual version of O Holy Night. Beautiful words. Worth watching on catchup if you missed it.