Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

" Dickensian" now on i-player

(9 Posts)
Gagagran Mon 14-Dec-20 07:10:04

This wonderful drama is now on BBC i-player and DH and I binge-watched it last night. It was originally on about four years ago and a second series was promised but never transpired.

For Dickens lovers it is an absolute treat with his memorable characters (and marvellous character actors) in a skilfully woven story featuring Miss Havisham and many other famous and instantly recognisable characters.

Very funny in parts and the best thing we have seen on TV for ages!

Flopsey Mon 14-Dec-20 07:29:44

It’s a wonderful series, and we managed to watch it last Christmas and also binge watched it too.
Wonderful acting especially Stephen Rea as the main character Inspector Bucket.
Highly Recommended.??

FannyCornforth Mon 14-Dec-20 07:43:49

I was thinking about this a few days ago!
I was planning on re watching it as it is so Christmassy. I've got it on DVD.
It's Dickens reworked as a TV soap.
When it was first shown it went out nightly in half hour episodes.
If I remember correctly the writers and producers of EastEnders were involved. But don't let that put you off! tchgrin
It really is brilliant. TV at its best.

LullyDully Mon 14-Dec-20 08:23:42

It's a shame they cut the series. I liked the way all the Dickensian characters were jumbled up. I love Dickens myself , especially Great Expectations.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Dec-20 08:28:04

It’s becoming a Christmas tradition?

travelsafar Mon 14-Dec-20 08:45:22

Oh i love this. I will make sure i re watch.

Some brilliant acting by the many well known faces.

I bet they loved being in this a chance to get into some really good character roles. smile

sodapop Mon 14-Dec-20 08:47:08

I enjoyed the series as well, good light entertainment that we don't see much nowadays.

lemongrove Mon 14-Dec-20 08:47:13

Yes, it was very well done, I enjoyed it.Another Christmas tradition is ‘the play that went wrong’ although none have been anywhere as good as the first two.

travelsafar Wed 16-Dec-20 20:01:45

Loving Mrs Gamp and Miss Bightywitch !!!smile