Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Man Who Invented Christmas

(10 Posts)
J52 Mon 21-Dec-20 10:53:27

For anyone who didn’t catch this film, yesterday ch 4, I can recommend it.
Lighthearted and based on Charles Dicken’s inspiration for A Christmas Carol. An excellent cast.

Ailidh Mon 21-Dec-20 11:01:33

Good to know. I recorded it and it's on my To Do list for this afternoon ?

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 11:10:25

Gone right off Charkes Dickens now
What a sh*t - literary genius or not.
Watch it and see if you don't agree with me!

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 11:12:32

Oops sorry - wrong programme-same evening - Sue Perkins on Mrs Dickens- very enlightening.
Apologies OP

J52 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:14:51

Yes MawBe I agree his personal life was far from exemplary, to say the least.
Suspend reality and enjoy the film. tchgrin

BBbevan Mon 21-Dec-20 20:22:17

I watched a little but like Mawbe I have gone off him. But we knew ages ago about his poor wife

MayBee70 Tue 22-Dec-20 00:15:42

I’ve just watched a repeat of the BBC adaptation of Oliver Twist with Timothy Spall and (swoon) Tom Hardy. I’d forgotten how good it was.

Witzend Tue 22-Dec-20 09:46:52

I’ve recorded it, too.
Of course he was no saint - I wonder how many famous authors were? - but I do admire him for his commercial sense in starting his own, relatively affordable magazines (one of them cost 2d a week) for serialising his own work and that of his friends, e.g. Wilkie Collins.

In an era when books were far too expensive for the vast majority and free public libraries did not exist, he must have provided a great deal of affordable enjoyment for so many people.
IIRC the standard price for one volume was one and a half guineas i.e 30/6d - and many works came in 3 volumes, as demanded by the publishers, in the interests of their own profits.

henetha Tue 22-Dec-20 09:55:06

I recorded it and shall look forward to watching it now.
Thanks.

Blossoming Tue 22-Dec-20 09:58:36

I have this on DVD, wil probably watch sometime over Christmas.