Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Christmas on the Square

(11 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Mon 21-Dec-20 22:07:16

This is Netflix musical starring Dolly Parton as an angel. Christine Baranski is in it too. I normally don't like musicals, but being a Dolly fan I thought I'd give it a go and was pleasantly surprised. It was a real feel good film and even though it was a bit twee and predictable I enjoyed it. I would recommend it as a good film to watch over the holidays for a bit of light relief.

Jane10 Mon 21-Dec-20 22:18:54

Christine Baranski is always good. I'll look out for this film. Thanks.
I thought this thread must have been about Eastenders!

Urmstongran Mon 21-Dec-20 22:27:51

I too thought it was going to be about Eastenders!

Lucretzia Mon 21-Dec-20 22:32:53

Me 3 about Eastenders!

Don't know why I looked really as I don't watch the soap

However I love Dolly and shall look out for this

Thanks for the recommendation smile

Urmstongran Mon 21-Dec-20 22:48:24

Snap! Lucrectzia I don’t watch it either. Mystified really why I clicked on! I just thought it was going to be about some outlandish plot at Christmas time - another cliffhanger or something and was curious I suppose!

MawBe Mon 21-Dec-20 23:00:38

Stenders or some obscure Masonic reference! tchconfused

Spangler Mon 21-Dec-20 23:00:44

Not ever having seen Eastenders, I'm puzzled as to why the title makes others think it's related to that soap opera.

Christmas on the Square is about a woman who plans to sell a small town without regard for the people who live there, receiving a visit from an angel.

Dolly is my hero, when asked why she still works as hard as ever, at the age of 74 she replied: "I would rather wear out than rust out." That's my motto.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Dec-20 23:19:44

Another one who thought it was east Enders

sodapop Tue 22-Dec-20 09:09:56

Eastenders is mainly set in Albert Square Spangler hence the reference.

I like Dolly as well so will look out for this musical.

Laughterlines Tue 22-Dec-20 09:29:49

Dolly currently features in another Netflix film, though she doesn’t appear, about an overweight girl who loves Dolly’s music and wants to enter a pageant contest in USA. Maybe we like Dolly because although her music is sometimes a bit near home, she is such a happy generous woman. She gives a hard back book each month to children born in certain postcodes in the UK to encourage them to read. Well done Dolly, spreading your money where it will do some good. Thank you.

henetha Tue 22-Dec-20 09:47:55

I shall definitely look out for this. Dolly Parton is wonderful.
But yes, I thought it was about EastEnders too... not that I mind as I actually like it...