Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

University Challenge

(52 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 28-Dec-20 21:14:49

Am I the only person who has given up on watching this because of Paxman's churlishness?

Georgesgran Tue 29-Dec-20 13:27:48

I think all ‘quiz’ shows have dumbed down questions for celebs/Christmas specials. Some last night on UC even had me yelling the answers and the General Knowledge round on Celeb Mastermind is a joke!
Hey ho - it’s entertaining I suppose.

JackyB Tue 29-Dec-20 15:26:24

Callistemon

^I think he is rude to the young students too - making them look stupid with his incredulity at their ignorance.^

It's so easy for him - he has the answers in front of him!
grin

Sometimes he comes out with things that can't be on the card (Gladstone was still going strong in 1850"). I think his indignance is usually quite justified. I was shocked when they played Stravinsky and someone suggested it was Mozart! There have been a few other weird answers like that.

JackyB Tue 29-Dec-20 15:29:26

Oh dear, I've just figured ot why my tablet didn't like "indignance". But "indignation" is not the word I wanted either!

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 15:32:22

^Elrel* grin I like her!

Unfortunately they can't hear me when I yell at the TV and it's easy when you're sitting at home.

Deedaa Wed 30-Dec-20 23:25:17

I am surprised at the bubble some of these people live in. They seem to have very little interest in anything outside their personal sphere. Nature and music seem to be a closed book to a lot of them and they DON'T LISTEN to the questions! Asked for the title of a book they give the author's name, asked for a two word answer they come up with one word, asked for three words beginning with the same two letters and they come up with three words that don't. I think Paxo is very patient with them.

Luckygirl Thu 31-Dec-20 00:01:11

I note that Paxman is never scathing about a science answer - presumably because he too knows nowt about it!

MayBee70 Thu 31-Dec-20 00:36:31

It annoys me when sometimes he lets someone elucidate in a question and other times he doesn’t. He did it tonight when the answer was fingernail but someone said hand which he rejected and it went to the other team who then won the point. Seemed unfair to me.

merlotgran Thu 31-Dec-20 21:06:06

Why was Monty Panesar even on the Loughborough team?

Callistemon Thu 31-Dec-20 21:15:13

Panesar came to Loughborough University in 2001-2002 to study Computing and Management, and to be a part of the Loughborough Cricket Centre of Excellence.

Mollygo Thu 31-Dec-20 22:10:05

I’ve enjoyed these Christmas shows because I can actually understand the questions as answer more if them. There are times in the main series that I have no idea what the questions mean, never mind the answers.

merlotgran Thu 31-Dec-20 22:26:33

Callistemon

^Panesar came to Loughborough University in 2001-2002 to study Computing and Management, and to be a part of the Loughborough Cricket Centre of Excellence.^

Pity he didn't answer any questions.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:14:42

Was anyone else supporting the Warwick team last night? We were cheering and whooping for them throughout the show. Really enjoyed this series.

Casdon Tue 06-Apr-21 11:20:45

Yes I was, my daughter went to Warwick so a bit of a vested interest - they were such a clever team, particularly as their average age was only 22.

nanna8 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:20:56

We can’t often get it even with a VPN but I do think that Paxman man is a grumpy snotty old git. I used to like Bamber Gascoigne, far more suitable. Guess he must be as old as the hills now.

Ilovecheese Tue 06-Apr-21 11:23:29

A well deserved win from Warwick. They were evenly matched and it was an exciting final. I thought Rout gave a lovely smile when he held up the trophy.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 11:24:40

Yes, they were very good. I even managed to answer a few myself ...... hedgehog and fox was easy!

Not criticising, but the older lady studying Theology(?) didn't contribute much to the other team.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:42:08

No, not even the theology questions either! I loved Routs comment regarding their lack of knowledge about vampire movies although I can’t remember what it was. The Cambridge team had, up till now, been very good at answering questions before Paxman had finished but having got the first one wrong they became very hesitant. To have Simon Armitige (sp) ‘present’ the trophy was an added bonus as I love him too. Happy days!

Grammaretto Tue 06-Apr-21 11:47:46

I also enjoyed watching the Warwick team win. They are a very clever lot and worked well as a team.

I got hedgehog and fox too Ellianne Funny that grin
Young brains are definitely fastest on the arithmetic questions. How did they know all those artists and paintings!

I liked the Theologian myself. She looked happy throughout and not as desperate to win as some of the others. She probably knew a lot but you have to be quick on the buzzer.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:50:37

But she didn’t seem to contribute much when they were discussing answers either. Was there a different format to UC this year due to covid? A lot of teams seemed to meet up several times.

Loislovesstewie Tue 06-Apr-21 11:51:29

Mr Paxman is just like Mr Lois, I would be quite at home with him!

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:58:31

I used to have quite a crush on Paxman till he left his partner for another woman. I really struggle with that. I do think he makes UC though and can’t imagine anyone else doing it.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 12:00:44

I think the format has been different for a few years MayBee. Isn't it in the 2nd round where they can come up against 2 or 3 teams? Then the semis, then the final. So yes potentially they could meet up a few times.

Grandma70s Tue 06-Apr-21 12:09:07

It’s my favourite programme, along with Only Connect. Mondays are going to be so boring now.

I don’t mind much who wins, but was vaguely supporting Magdalene, because my younger son went to Cambridge, though a different college. I have known a couple of people from Warwick I didn’t like. All totally irrational, I know, and as I say I don’t really care. What I enjoy is trying to answer the questions. I got a few, not many. I’m good on Stravinsky ballets and Beatrix Potter!

Grandma70s Tue 06-Apr-21 12:10:41

To answer the OP, I love Jeremy Paxman.

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:33:43

I don’t know what I’ll do on Monday nights either. It was the highlight of my week! I’m not an Only Connect fan (too difficult) but DH used to watch it. I haven’t been watching Mastermind though, so maybe I could watch that on catchup on Monday nights.