Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

University Challenge

(52 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 28-Dec-20 21:14:49

Am I the only person who has given up on watching this because of Paxman's churlishness?

Georgesgran Tue 29-Dec-20 13:27:48

I think all ‘quiz’ shows have dumbed down questions for celebs/Christmas specials. Some last night on UC even had me yelling the answers and the General Knowledge round on Celeb Mastermind is a joke!
Hey ho - it’s entertaining I suppose.

Elrel Tue 29-Dec-20 13:20:01

Enjoy the programme, find it interesting to hear the careers of the teams and I’m sure they can cope with Paxo.
On Twitter Sathnam Sanghera (Christ’s College Cambridge) said ‘Yup, we were crap on University Challenge. But the truth is that... the edit flattered us. We were even worse in the studio.’

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 11:16:03

I think he is rude to the young students too - making them look stupid with his incredulity at their ignorance.

It's so easy for him - he has the answers in front of him!
grin

Alexa Tue 29-Dec-20 10:49:35

I too find clever people the most attractive and I am amused when they patronise me because I know really clever people do so to help me to learn.

BigBertha1 Tue 29-Dec-20 10:22:14

I am! I know I'm strange. I have only ever been attracted to clever men you can have a good conversation with. DH is no oil painting but a clever sod, annoying but clever. Paxo was a lot ore attractive when he was younger but weren't we all?

Luckygirl Tue 29-Dec-20 10:18:57

Paxman is still my big crush - you can't be serious!! I find him deeply unattractive in every way!

BigBertha1 Tue 29-Dec-20 10:15:49

No Paxman is still my big crush and I love the programme. Not so keen on the 'celebss' one though. Those interminable introductions shorten the programme- rather have more questions than find out who sailed single handed up the Orinoco in a dug out whilst inventing space travel.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Dec-20 10:14:15

Only Connect is only a different sort of quiz because VCM makes it so - I dread to think what it would be like if Paxman was in charge!

annodomini Tue 29-Dec-20 10:13:50

I've been enjoying the Christmas series of University Challenge. I don't think the alumni's questions are as hard as those asked of younger students. As an alumna myself, I am quite cheered that my level of ignorance is no worse than theirs and I often find myself saying, 'But everyone knows that!' Paxman's sense of humour isn't everyone's but I don't think they take him seriously when he sounds patronising.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Dec-20 10:12:52

I don't now about over-sensitive. It just seems unnecessary to me.

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 10:10:08

Luckygirl

I think he is rude to the young students too - making them look stupid with his incredulity at their ignorance.

Politicians are fair game; but not these young people thrust into a nerve-wracking situation in front of millions of viewers.

He needs to take a leaf out of Victoria Coren-Mitchell's book - she is kind and supportive to contestants without being patronising.

Come on! Bit over sensitive here methinks. VCM is in charge of a totally different kind of quiz

Alexa Tue 29-Dec-20 10:08:01

I can hardly believe they did not know it was goldfish!

Luckygirl Tue 29-Dec-20 09:58:17

Politicians are fair game; but not these young people thrust into a nerve-wracking situation in front of millions of viewers.

He needs to take a leaf out of Victoria Coren-Mitchell's book - she is kind and supportive to contestants without being patronising.

Witzend Tue 29-Dec-20 09:24:45

Chardy

Haven't watched UC in years, but caught one episode over Christmas. I was quite shocked by Paxman's slowness of questioning, the whole momentum of the show seemed altered.

We still love it. It wouldn’t be the same without grumpy old Paxman. I always liked him on Newsnight too - refusing to let politicians get away with slithering around questions like oiled snakes.

yggdrasil Tue 29-Dec-20 09:15:00

Paxman acts differently with the Christmas Challenge where the participants are graduates of a certain age and with jobs
He goes slower and with more scerbic comments than he does with the usual young people on the normal challenge

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 07:55:56

Paxman is not churlish ! He’s funny. Poor man, a few weeks ago GN posters were up in arms because they didn’t like his hair.....

Chardy Tue 29-Dec-20 07:37:37

Haven't watched UC in years, but caught one episode over Christmas. I was quite shocked by Paxman's slowness of questioning, the whole momentum of the show seemed altered.

Callistemon Mon 28-Dec-20 23:16:56

Although how come a BBC Media Editor didn't get Dylan Thomas?
I was shouting at him!

Callistemon Mon 28-Dec-20 23:15:21

Is it me or are the questions becoming weirder?

Not just on UC but on so many quiz programmes.
I managed to answer some on Only Connect but only a couple on UC but it's usually the other way round.

Or is it me? Even the scientist didn't get Bunsen because the question was phrased so oddly!

lemsip Mon 28-Dec-20 23:01:57

yes, I always watch it! Paxman though.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Dec-20 22:53:47

I am obviously a bit of a sensitive flower! smile

Georgesgran Mon 28-Dec-20 21:54:42

It was indeed - when Durham said koi carp and the other team said ‘tuna’. Paxman’s face was a picture!!

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Dec-20 21:48:25

It was good fun tonight.

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 21:46:05

We like it too, he is grumpy but I think the participants expect it.

Floradora9 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:43:42

No we still really enjoy it . We just accept his bad humour.