Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Can someone explain in easy terms how Amazon prime video works

(24 Posts)
Lucca Fri 08-Jan-21 09:14:00

Just that really. I’ve signed up for yet another free week trial and thought I could watch the undoing . But then it says something about paying for the series ??

Sarahmob Fri 08-Jan-21 09:22:18

Lots of Amazon prime content is streamed for free, but there is content that you can access only if you purchase it through your Amazon account. It’s usually newer films, or their more popular series. I look at Prime video as being a side benefit of my free prime delivery.

petra Fri 08-Jan-21 09:26:11

Lucca
There are lots of films and series on Prime that you pay for.
What usually happens is that in time they become free in your package.

Luckygirl Fri 08-Jan-21 09:27:52

I am unimpressed with Prime video - you pay your prime membership then struggle to find videos that are free.

Netflix is much better - but I would say that as I do not pay for it, but piggyback on my DD's account!

fevertree Fri 08-Jan-21 09:34:38

We find plenty to watch on Prime video for free. For example, at the moment we are watching Justified, it's an excellent series. Just finished watching Alex Rider that was also very good, written by Anthony Horowitz the well-known author who wrote the scripts for Foyle's War. It is billed as "young adult" but it is a cracking story.

As others have said, there are free films and series etc available on Prime, and some you have to pay for. I assume The Undoing is in the latter category.

fevertree Fri 08-Jan-21 09:37:09

When I say "for free" I mean as part of the subscription to Amazon Prime for free delivery (as Sarahmob says, it's a perk).

TerriBull Fri 08-Jan-21 09:41:01

I watched The Undoing on Amazon Prime, yes you have to pay, I think it was something like £1.80 per episode. Like Netflix there is plenty to watch, some of it's rubbish. I've started things and abandoned them, a bit like books that don't grab you, life's too short!

I initially signed up for a trial period and kept it going through lockdown.

I thought the Undoing was very good.

Pittcity Fri 08-Jan-21 09:44:48

The Undoing will be included without paying extra eventually.
They charge extra for popular programmes and films at first to stop people watching them with free trials.
These are content that Amazon has had to buy from other providers.

MiniMoon Fri 08-Jan-21 10:56:14

The bar at the top of the screen is useful. The one with home, search etc. There is a "Free to me" section which will only show you what is included with prime.

Callistemon Fri 08-Jan-21 11:00:55

I thought if I joined Prime for a trial that I'd get the music I requested on Alexa but no, I got the same suggestions that have little to do with any particular song or artiste.

Jane43 Fri 08-Jan-21 11:34:59

Lucca we watched The Undoing by having a week long free trial with Now TV.

Jane43 Fri 08-Jan-21 11:36:29

I forgot to say there are a few options with Now TV, you have to select the Entertainment package.

Grannynannywanny Fri 08-Jan-21 11:50:15

Could I ask another Prime question please. I have an Amazon Prime subscription, I haven’t investigated Movies as I have plenty on Netflix to keep me going.

Is Amazon Music included in Prime membership? I don’t want it but I received an email yesterday saying my free 3 month trial to Music ends this week. I’m concerned now that they’re going to start charging me for a cunning add on that I didn’t want and haven’t used. I’ve tried emailing them but no reply as yet.

petra Fri 08-Jan-21 12:01:24

Grannynanny
If your worried/ concerned just remove your card from the site. Then they can't take a penny.
You can put it back on when you want to order something.
I never leave my card on Amazon.

Lucca Fri 08-Jan-21 12:27:22

Jane43

Lucca we watched The Undoing by having a week long free trial with Now TV.

Cunning ! Thanks for the tip

Lucca Fri 08-Jan-21 12:28:08

Thank you all for the help.

cornishpatsy Fri 08-Jan-21 12:32:53

I think Prime is only worth having for the other benefits, delivery, books, audible but not for just the TV That is available on a smart TV or through your broadband provider.

Pittcity Fri 08-Jan-21 12:36:48

Amazon Music is not included in Amazon Prime.

Grannynannywanny Fri 08-Jan-21 12:45:06

Thanks for the advice. I’m off now to remove my card. It’s something I really should always do but I’m guilty of forgetting that important point.

kircubbin2000 Fri 08-Jan-21 15:25:22

I had been enjoying The Bureau until series 3 when they asked me to sign up to another streaming site and pay again for the rest of the episodes.

bumblebee34 Fri 08-Jan-21 19:55:43

I get Amazon music with Amazon Prime. You get a choice of 2 million songs, playlists and personalised streaming whereas with the Amazon music unlimited (which you pay extra for) you get the same except with a choice of 70 million songs apparently.

MiniMoon Fri 08-Jan-21 20:29:52

I pay an extra £3:99 per month for Amazon music unlimited through one of my Amazon echo devices. Since I couldn't live without music I think its good value for money.

JackyB Sat 09-Jan-21 08:53:59

I joined Amazon Prime for the free delivery. I don't have time to watch any films or series on it but over Christmas I did use Amazon Music for some Christmas play lists. I think they were free (there wasn't much choice and they got a bit monotonous after a while) and I specifically resisted clicking on anything that meant I was purchasing or subscribing to anything extra.

I used AmazonMusic without Prime previously because you can listen to any CD or download you have ever bought from them via the app. In fact I have several CDs still in their cellophane because I only ever listen to the downloads.

However, I have decided to remain in Prime for the free delivery and will keep an eagle eye over it to make sure they don't deduct more than the €7.99 which well covers the postage for items I order.

Mind you, it only covers items delivered by Amazon. If you order from Amazon but the item is marketed by a third party you still pay the extra postage.

GagaJo Sat 09-Jan-21 10:07:50

Use Bflix.to. Totally free.