Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Pembrokeshire Murders.

(112 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-Jan-21 07:36:36

Started watching this 3 parter last night. Couldn’t recall the case until I saw the pictures of the murdered couple, and remember thinking at the time how shocking to be killed as you walked innocently on a coastal path.

Found it to be a bit plodding. Probably because there was no ‘who dun it’, as we know who did it.

Riverwalk Wed 20-Jan-21 07:39:30

Indeed Jane I wasn't judging her - as I said was thinking aloud.

Chestnut I think it's reasonable to question how a mother behaved over many years.

Sarnia Tue 19-Jan-21 15:37:36

When Cooper was in prison for 16 years for armed robbery I thought she could have mended her relationship with her son. He was clearly vulnerable and carried a lot of baggage both mentally and physically from his childhood. Good drama showing how painstaking, methodical police work can bring such satisfying results.

janeainsworth Tue 19-Jan-21 15:28:45

I don’t think Riverwalk was ‘judging’ Pat Cooper, Chestnut.
She was just wondering why Pat Cooper didn’t support her poor son who was also a victim and showed immense courage testifying against his father.
What stopped her?
Was she complicit in what happened to Adrian? How many mothers would have been so terrified of Cooper they would have done nothing to help their child?

Chestnut Tue 19-Jan-21 15:11:17

Riverwalk about the wife, I don't believe you can judge someone on a TV drama, no matter how realistic. We don't know what went on behind closed doors, nor do we have every detail of their situation. On the face of it we can all say what she should have done, but I am not prepared to judge anyone without knowing the full facts.

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jan-21 15:08:50

His wife - I'm just thinking out loud here.

I know she was a victim of her dreadful husband and psychopaths are very controlling and manipulative, and she had a heart condition, but could she really not have stepped in to give some protection and succour to her young son?

I know nothing of her - if she of limited intelligence or had special needs but just because she was an abused woman doesn't let her off the hook. Would we be sympathetic to her if she hadn't died on his release?

Maybe she didn't know that he was a murderer but she knew he was a serious abuser of their own son.

Callistemon Mon 18-Jan-21 14:49:05

But it wasn't a drama about Cooper's life and times - it was an insight into a 'cold case' review.

Precisely!

The struggle that the officers had to ensure that a cold-blooded murderer would not be released free to continue his serial killing. The despair when Cooper manipulated the Parole Board into releasing him and the police's dogged determination to see that justice was at last carried out for all the victims.

Sorry if some posters were bored or fell asleep.

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jan-21 14:05:51

lovebeigecardigans1955

I would have liked to have had more 'flesh on the bones' as it were. What about his childhood? How did this awful chap meet his wife? Was it a good relationship at first? What did his darts mate on 'Bullseye' think of him - did he seem likeable?

But it wasn't a drama about Cooper's life and times - it was an insight into a 'cold case' review.

Callistemon Mon 18-Jan-21 13:58:24

Were you expecting Midsomer Murders, petalpop?

Real life (and death) isn't like that.

Petalpop Mon 18-Jan-21 13:50:00

Found if boring. Did not bother to watch after the first episode had sent me to sleep.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 18-Jan-21 13:30:43

I would have liked to have had more 'flesh on the bones' as it were. What about his childhood? How did this awful chap meet his wife? Was it a good relationship at first? What did his darts mate on 'Bullseye' think of him - did he seem likeable?

sodapop Mon 18-Jan-21 13:03:38

Good though it was I'm now sick of seeing trailers advertising this on the hub. Enough already.

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jan-21 09:48:48

Thank you V3ra I'll have a read of that.

V3ra Mon 18-Jan-21 09:35:54

Here you are Riverwalk
www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-01-11/the-pembrokeshire-murders-the-true-story-behind-the-notorious-double-murders-that-shook-west-wales

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jan-21 09:25:46

I watched all three episodes yesterday and thought it was excellent drama. Anything that keeps you interested, and on edge, when you know the outcome must be so well written and presented.

Can someone please remind me why the detective and his team re-opened the case? It seemed such a daunting prospect.

Callistemon Sun 17-Jan-21 20:27:58

Blinko

^It's likely all serial killers are psychopaths, but not all psychopaths are serial killers.^

Presumably there was a psychologist or psychiatrist on the Parole Board and Cooper managed to fool them into thinking he was a reformed character.

Seems to me it's a very inexact science...

Clarification required:

The first quote was not mine
The second one is.

Susan56 Sun 17-Jan-21 20:06:41

We have just watched all three episodes and even though I knew the outcome I still found it edge of the seat watching.

We have family in Pembrokeshire but even so it was shocking to us that the bodies were found in the hamlet our nephew lives in and that Cooper lived in the village where my sister in law lives.

I too have total admiration for the police and forensic team who’s determination ensured a guilty verdict.

I hope his children and the families of the victims,also the young victims have all found peace.

Eloethan Sat 16-Jan-21 11:53:44

I watched the whole series and am not quite sure why. It was worthy but not really very engaging, in my opinion. Well done to the police who re-investigated though.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Jan-21 11:45:19

Mamie

I can't get over how the actor playing the Inspector looks like David Miliband. Quite uncanny.

... but better looking! grin

Mamie Sat 16-Jan-21 11:09:27

I can't get over how the actor playing the Inspector looks like David Miliband. Quite uncanny.

Blinko Sat 16-Jan-21 11:02:07

It's likely all serial killers are psychopaths, but not all psychopaths are serial killers.

Presumably there was a psychologist or psychiatrist on the Parole Board and Cooper managed to fool them into thinking he was a reformed character.

Seems to me it's a very inexact science...

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:39:03

At the present time, it sometimes seems that psychologists are all well and good after the event...

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 10:11:49

Have watched the first episode now, quite interesting as to police work and a shocking case.Will watch the next two soon.

Chestnut Sat 16-Jan-21 10:04:40

Blinko Will we ever be in a position to identify psychopaths before they start on a life of crime, and be able to take steps to prevent them.
Unless someone on the receiving end (usually their family) reports their behaviour, which is unlikely. And you can't detain someone for a crime they haven't committed. Also, psychopaths are very clever and can lie very convincingly.
Google 'what is a psychopath' which is very interesting.
It's likely all serial killers are psychopaths, but not all psychopaths are serial killers. So identifying a killer before they strike is probably never going to be possible.

Blinko Fri 15-Jan-21 19:03:22

janeainsworth

Callistemon in one of the articles I read, it said that the police thought she didn’t know that Cooper had been responsible for the murders.
I suppose it depends whether you view her as another of his victims, or as enabling his cruelty to his son (and we know nothing of what happened to their daughter), and his criminal behaviour.

I’m not sure. Perhaps tonight's documentary will shed some light on it - a psychologist’s view would be interesting.

A psychologist's view would indeed be of interest.

Will we ever be in a position to identify psychopaths before they start on a life of crime, and be able to take steps to prevent them.

At the present time, it sometimes seems that psychologists are all well and good after the event...

Ohmother Fri 15-Jan-21 06:51:16

Took great interest in the three part dramatisation but fell asleep during the factual. ?

It takes great courage for a victim of abuse to own the victimhood and dare to escape it. That goes for his wife, his son and the two young girls.