Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What was your fist ever Musical?

(92 Posts)
biba70 Fri 29-Jan-21 19:14:01

For me, as I grew up in a rural area abroad- it was HAIR early 1970. Seen many since, but none ever had the same impression as HAIR did in those early days.

Franbern Wed 03-Feb-21 09:15:22

Think the first Musical I saw on stage was The King and I with Herbert Lom at Drury Lane sometime in the 1950's. Still love musicals, like them on films, but nothing compares with seeing them on stage. West Side story and Les Mes are my two all-time favourites.

MayBee70 Sun 31-Jan-21 23:47:57

Great programme about Cameron Mackintosh on BBC4 tonight.

Hellogirl1 Sat 30-Jan-21 22:10:24

Oh, nearly forgot.
Kittylester, I agree about Cats, but I loved Les Mis, and Phantom.

Hellogirl1 Sat 30-Jan-21 22:09:10

Thanks for the suggestions, it could have been No, No Nanette. My second musical is easier, Calamity Jane. Still love that film.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jan-21 17:51:49

I wish you luck with your seat reservations kittylester; I've had 6 tickets for the Buxton Opera House pantomime that I booked in November 2019 for December 2020 grin

Nell8 Sat 30-Jan-21 16:25:02

I don't think anyone has mentioned "Gigi". I was entranced by the Frenchness and glamour of the film version when I was about 11. The idea that an innocent young girl was being groomed to become a courtesan went clean over my head. I wonder if it is still being performed in its original format?

kittylester Sat 30-Jan-21 15:58:27

*Chewbacca", I've just remembered that we have tickets to see Tom Chambers in a play in March (maybe Dial M for Murder?) this is the 3rd attempt but I bet it doesn't happen and, if it does, I won't be there!

Severnsider Sat 30-Jan-21 15:57:50

Remember this one - 'Salad Days' - 'we said we wouldn't look back'. The ultimate comfort musical.

1960s Bristol Old Vic.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jan-21 15:51:15

kittylester yes I like the Curve Theatre although it's a while since I was there (or any other theatre, obviously). Whilst I like the old traditional theatres (especially Buxton Opera House, which is beautiful) I do like the modern theatres too because I find the acoustics and projection and accessibility is often better.
Venue Cymru in Llandudno is a wonderful modern theatre that houses not just live theatre production but also cinema, sporting events, art exhibitions and events, all under one roof. London has little to compare to many of the regional theatre venues imo.

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:40:33

X post

My internet keeps dropping out

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:40:01

No No Nanette?

I want to be happy
But I won't be happy
Till I make you happy too

gulligranny Sat 30-Jan-21 15:39:53

My parents took me to see the film version of "South Pacific" when I was 12, I still have the souvenir book (which cost 7/6d, an awful lot of money then) 63 years on. I remember sobbing when Lt. Cable was killed ....

It had a profound influence on me and ignited the love of musicals which has never left me.

Nemesia Sat 30-Jan-21 15:37:34

“Tea for Two" was apparently composed by Vincent Youmans with lyrics by Irving Caesar and written in 1924
It was introduced by Louise Groody and John Barker in the Broadway musical “No, No, Nanette.”

Could that have been it Hellogirl ?

Hellogirl1 Sat 30-Jan-21 15:33:16

No Callistemon, it wasn`t Showboat, I remember seeing that film. I do remember one of the songs was "Tea for Two".

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 30-Jan-21 15:26:25

Mine was The Sound of Music when my sister and I were ten. Mum was rather put out that you had to just turn up at the cinema - no booking of seats in advance and we had to queue. We loved it as it was a rare treat.

25Avalon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:17:52

The Desert Song with John Hanson c 1967. I had driven mum into town having not long passed my driving test, to put her on the coach with her fellow WI members, to see it in the West End. Someone didn’t turn up so to my embarrassment I ended up going in their place with all the WI fogeys. I thoroughly enjoyed it however.

Lillie Sat 30-Jan-21 15:09:26

Chorus Line in the 70's at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. My friend and I attended a stage school and got cheap standing tickets at the back of the stalls. We used to do all the moves with the dancers. I think we went back for more 5 or 6 times.

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:09:17

I remember going to the Theatre in the Round in Stoke-on-Trent, must have been in the early to mid Sixties? to see a play called The Jolly Potters.

I don't think the theatre is there any more, or it may have been relocated.

kittylester Sat 30-Jan-21 14:59:28

chewbacca, do you enjoy going to Curve?

I don't like it as much as the old Haymarket which has just closed down again!! The Haymarket seemed much more of a treat where Curve seems much overcrowded and busy. Though Curve's version of West Side Story had the best Officer Krupke sequence, ever!!

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jan-21 14:58:21

On a more sombre note, I do hope theatres manage to survive these lockdowns.

Me too Callistemon, me too. It's the one thing I miss more than anything else. sad

TrendyNannie6 Sat 30-Jan-21 14:43:58

South Pacific

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 14:41:41

Pre COVID, there was no reason at all to have to go to the centre of London to see a live musical production; or any other live stage production, come to that.

We may have lived in the provinces but we weren't parochial!

On a more sombre note, I do hope theatres manage to survive these lockdowns.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jan-21 14:21:02

Pre COVID, there was no reason at all to have to go to the centre of London to see a live musical production; or any other live stage production, come to that. Leicester has the fabulous Curve Theatre which has hosted some wonderful original and touring stage productions. Stoke has the Regent Theatre, which, in normal times, attracts a lot of famous actors and performers. Living "out in the sticks" doesn't mean you can't access live theatre. You just have to want to.

Not my cup of tea, but he is a naturist and loved it I loved Oh Calcutta too but I didn't think you had to be a naturist to enjoy it! gringringrin

allsortsofbags Sat 30-Jan-21 12:45:40

Wizard Of Oz. It was an amateur production, my brother was one of the main characters and I knew his songs but I was mesmerised by the whole production.

Loved Hair, so wished I managed to see Cats but been fortunate to get to see so many productions.

DD2 and I were due to see Tina and Sister Act in 2020 but :-( So far they have been re booked twice so who knows.

Still if that is the worst thing to happen we are indeed fortunate.

eazybee Sat 30-Jan-21 12:35:36

The Vagabond King, probably circa 1950; my mother was in an amateur musical comedy society and I was four. Splendid. There was a particularly rousing 'Song of the Vagabonds.' that ended 'And to hell with Burgundy.'