Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Take the high road

(25 Posts)
nadateturbe Sun 07-Feb-21 00:08:47

I loved Take The High Road. About 35 years ago we stayed at Loch Lomond Youth Hostel - which was a castle, a beautiful place just a short drive from Luss. While we were there, Take the High Road was filmed one day in the grounds. I was so excited . I got some autographs and a photo taken with two of the cast.

Ailsa43 Sat 06-Feb-21 23:01:44

I loved Take the High Road, it was my all time favourite soap... but by the end , like so many of the major soaps today it got silly storylines, and I stopped watching it.. but I'd love to see it again... and yes it was filmed in Luss..

Marydoll Sat 06-Feb-21 21:19:15

deefletch

What is STV player?

stv.tv

deefletch Sat 06-Feb-21 20:50:59

What is STV player?

deefletch Sat 06-Feb-21 20:48:38

I liked that show! A nice gentle story. I often think of it!

P1234 Sat 06-Feb-21 20:45:59

Paddyanne how lovely to have been married in Luss. It's a beautiful place and you are very lucky to live nearby

Deedaa Sat 06-Feb-21 20:11:34

I always used to watch Take The High Road when my children were small. I once saw the actress who played the dreadful Mrs Mac being interviewed and she was so nice! She said viewers used to send her suitable hats.

FarNorth Sat 06-Feb-21 03:44:06

Drs Finlay and Cameron with Janet, in Tannochbrae, were favourites in our house.

monk08 Fri 05-Feb-21 23:55:04

Loved take the high road Snedden was my afternoon crush Naughty but nice.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Feb-21 23:39:57

Am I remembering that Isabel's husband, Dougal, (?) left her and she was broken hearted. It was lovely gentle series.

granzilla Fri 05-Feb-21 22:43:35

ladygracie
It was A Country Practice.
Loved it. smile

LadyGracie Fri 05-Feb-21 22:35:32

I loved Take the High Road, Sons and Daughters and General Hospital. There was also an Australian soap about vets, I can't remember what it was called.
I enjoyed Brookside too.

granzilla Fri 05-Feb-21 22:19:02

We went to Luss about 20 years ago as a part of a coach trip.
I was so delighted to have purchased a bar of 'tablet' in Isobel Blaire's shop smile
Next day we went to Callander where the origional Doctor Finlay was filmed.
We had the best 'fish supper' ever at 1 0'clock in the afternoon.
What a holiday for us West Midlanders of a certain age. smile

paddyanne Thu 04-Feb-21 16:01:40

I got married in Luss.46 years ago .Its my favourite place in the world and we stand at the altar of Luss church every anniversary .We only live about 8 miles from it though so its a place we often just visit for a coffee or a lovely meal at one of the hotels .The programme is very dated but was a vital part in the careers of many young actors including Alan Cummings

P1234 Thu 04-Feb-21 15:39:16

Thanks notnecessarilywiser I have signed up to watch later

Beechnut Thu 04-Feb-21 09:38:05

I used to watch Take the High Road sometimes.

I loved Sons and Daughters. I used to tape it and binge watch on a Friday night and often had a whiskey/whisky with the character Patricia ?

notnecessarilywiser Thu 04-Feb-21 09:31:33

Take the High Road can be found on STVplayer, if you want to see it again.

lemsip Thu 04-Feb-21 09:13:37

going way back....what about doctor finlays casebook

lemsip Thu 04-Feb-21 09:12:56

Yes I like watching 'four in a bed'. am surprised how far they go to find a bit of dust or a tiny hair, they get so upset with each other.

TerriBull Thu 04-Feb-21 09:06:02

Oh yes remember Take the High Road a time in my life when I sat down for an hour or so to switch off between work and picking up the children from school I watched that and Neighbours, The series abruptly finished without any explanation, although I think it was still shown in Scotland. A friend of mine complained to ITV about that, ostensibly on behalf her mother, but actually she was an avid follower of the programme too.

I also visited the place where it was filmed around Loch Lomond I believe on a family holiday, husband and kids moaning and groaning all the while in what they considered my batshit, time wasting quest!

I don't watch any daytime tv anymore, only Four in a Bed when it's on, late afternoon.

Grandmabatty Thu 04-Feb-21 09:05:49

Mrs Mac and her hats!

Esspee Thu 04-Feb-21 08:25:01

My English teacher Robert Trotter was Murdoch.

Kandinsky Thu 04-Feb-21 08:23:55

I remember my mum watching it.
Plus I remember Emmerdale when it was Emmerdale Farm.
Sure there was a daytime soap called ‘sons & daughters’ too?

Marydoll Thu 04-Feb-21 08:20:40

Oh I used to watch it all the time. I saw a clip from it recently, it was so dated!

P1234 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:18:10

One of my favourite tv series from way back was take the high road. Do any of you remember this? A couple of years ago I visited a place called Luss and was told by a resident most of the filming took place there. I had no idea and it was a beautiful place.