Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Great Pottery Throwdown

(112 Posts)
tidyskatemum Sun 14-Feb-21 22:01:21

Anyone else think the wrong potter bit the dust tonight?

Ilovecheese Mon 15-Mar-21 15:00:20

Yes, Sarnia it is always dangerous to stray from the brief. His punchbowl and cups were lovely though, and the ladle.

Sarnia Mon 15-Mar-21 14:55:35

I have really enjoyed this series. Keith, so passionate about pottery and Rich are lovely judges and Siobhan has been a breath of fresh air as a presenter who doesn't look like an anorexic stick insect. I was a bit concerned for Adam, deciding to go a little off the brief with the US style of Art Deco using pastel shades. All the potters did well but Jodie was a worthy winner with a beautiful set. I have found these programmes an oasis of calm in a sometimes crazy world.

StatenIsland Mon 15-Mar-21 14:27:53

I agree Ilovecheese but I think even Peter was starting to be a little embarrassed by it. I like that KBJ gets emotional about his art and when people do well - the equivalent of the Hollywood handshake on Bake Off. I have really enjoyed this series especially now that Richard is co-presenter. Is it really weird to already be looking forward to the raku challenge in next year's series? Always my favourite week.

Ilovecheese Mon 15-Mar-21 14:13:44

Yes, agree Jodie was a worthy winner. Also liked Adam's way of hanging the cups.
Maybe Keith's gushing over Peter was because he had improved so much during the series, encouraging other people to push themselves harder and set themselves more challenges.

StatenIsland Mon 15-Mar-21 13:44:52

Jodie was consistent throughout and I thought her a worth winner. Those handbag decanters were inspired. Always calm, I bet she'd brilliant at her day job. I felt Keith was rather unfair to her in the semis saying her dragonfly wash pedestal was playing safe. I was also starting to find his gushing over Peter, nice man that he was, a little embarrassing.

LullyDully Mon 15-Mar-21 13:40:02

Yes, the right person won. I loved her wolf fountain. Everything so carefully constructed and decorated. A talented artist.
I shall miss this programme, I always do when it finishes.

threexnanny Mon 15-Mar-21 13:32:30

I thought the way Adam had his cups hanging was very clever but his bottles really let him down. Jodie was the right winner.

Nandalot Mon 15-Mar-21 13:23:45

And his decanters were crazy!
I am pleased Jodie won. They couldn’t find any fault with her arty set.

Atqui Mon 15-Mar-21 13:12:59

I was interested that Lee moved to be close to Sal? Just human curiosity! I was pleased Jody one. I think Adam was a lovely person .but really he should have learnt from Sal and the other chap that sticking to the brief is imperative. His work was great but not colourful enough

LauraNorder Mon 15-Mar-21 00:46:36

Worthy winner. Jodie’s party set was fabulous. Interesting she’s back working as a nurse when everyone else seems to be continuing with pottery.
True dedication, hope she gets back in to pottery soon.

muse Sun 14-Mar-21 23:04:00

Me too. Brilliant series. I love the end bit showing what they are all up to! Lovely to see that Lee moved to Cornwall to be closer to Sue

MiniMoon Sun 14-Mar-21 22:49:49

I too am pleased that Jodie won. Her punch bowl, cups and decanters were fabulous.
Loved this series, what will I watch next week?

Casdon Sun 14-Mar-21 22:07:15

I’ve thought from the beginning that she would win, she was the most consistent throughout. They were a very good bunch this year though weren’t they, some beautiful creations.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Mar-21 22:00:12

Well that was good the right person won I think, well on tonight s competition that is

Sarnia Mon 08-Mar-21 09:08:56

Easy decision for the judges last night. I was pleased to see Adam finally get Potter of the Week as he has come close quite a few times. Art Deco for the final, a la Clarice Cliff. That might suit Adam and Jodie more than Peter. I shall miss this when it finishes next week.

LauraNorder Mon 08-Mar-21 08:28:02

I do agree that Adam was a clear winner last night. The basin was beautiful and the base really lovely, my only small criticism would be that they looked like two different pieces, a little bit of shell at the top of the mermaid tail or a little of the mermaid tail running in to the basin would have seemed more of a complete piece.
I really wasn’t keen on the suitcase idea although it was well executed on the whole.
I think Jody did play safe but got away with it, her back tattoo photo was lovely although I’m not a tattoo fan.
Poor Hannah, the disaster in the kiln threw her but she did her best to pull it back. I particularly liked her chamber pot and didn’t agree that it was under decorated, but I’m no expert.
I do love the programme, it’s sad that it’s coming to a close so soon. Like a good book, you want to know how it ends but are sad when it’s finished.

LullyDully Mon 08-Mar-21 08:24:00

Adams's sink was beautiful but very impractical and hard to clean. He deserved to win potter of the week of course.

Artistic rather than useful maybe.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Mar-21 08:21:28

Although Peter has improved I don’t think he has as much talent as the other two He’s done well I liked his suitcase idea but I think it looked better on paper it was overly heavy and chunky looking for my taste

LadyGracie Mon 08-Mar-21 08:13:43

Good decision

muse Sun 07-Mar-21 23:08:01

Happy that Adam won. Loved this chamber pot. Think he might win.

Really liked Peter's suitcases. Brilliant idea.

So sad to see one go each week. Keith and Rich are excellent with their feedback.

Nana3 Sun 07-Mar-21 22:48:00

I felt for Hannah, her kiln disaster meant she knew she was in trouble. The judges were very complimentary about her decorating skills though.

Parsley3 Sun 07-Mar-21 21:53:06

The right person went home this week. I liked Adam's basin and Peter has improved so much over the series. I can't pick a winner.

Grandmabatty Sun 07-Mar-21 21:18:36

I thought Peter's was heavy looking. It didn't do it for me. I liked Adam's.

Casdon Sun 07-Mar-21 21:00:35

I did like Peter’s, although his chamber pot was not good. I think it was the right decision for the weakest overall.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 20:57:16

Loved Adams basin the colours on the pedestal are beautiful
Keith raved about peters but I didn’t like it at all