Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Need a new TV series. Any suggestions?

(48 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 14-Feb-21 22:31:16

TV is getting me through lockdown, so no apologies!

Recently, I have enjoyed Rita (Danish), Dark (German sci fi), Duchess of Duke Street, The Bletchley Circle, Ride Upon the Storm (Danish).

Based on my preferences above, any suggestions please?

Juliet27 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:39:52

Just finished watching The Valhalla Murders and like you Jane43 I really enjoyed it.

Juliet27 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:37:40

Nice claim to fame littleannie

Purplepoppies Sun 07-Mar-21 13:34:04

Damien on Fox is good.
A series following Damien (the Omen child) as an adult.
I really enjoyed Preacher and Justified too.

J52 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:29:01

Just started watch Good Girls, series on Netflix. It’s three average mums who get involved with a drug gang. A bit of humour mixed in.

Pantglas2 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:20:03

Netflix Mormon Murders was interesting as I didn’t remember the events on which it was based.

Minibookworm Sun 07-Mar-21 13:10:53

We enjoyed Mystery Road (Australian) & Cardinal (Canadian) which is available on demand BBC & Sky.

catladyuk Sun 07-Mar-21 13:08:40

catman and i have just started your honour (sky atlantic), it looks promising, also currently watching resident alien (sky one), not to everyones' taste, but mildly amusing, and anything in the 'walter presents' world dramas (all4) is usually worth watching.

bonfirebirthday Sun 07-Mar-21 12:56:26

The Serpent if it's on catch television. That lasted 8 episodes so there is lots of viewing time.

GagaJo Sun 07-Mar-21 12:53:02

Things I have watched of late are Bump (Australian). I enjoyed it a lot. I am now watching Shrill (USA). I don't usually watch American TV series because I find them a bit plastic, and this is, but I still like it. I am also watching Home Fires (British).

I love it when I find a good, really long series with lots of episodes. I also prefer it if they are in English because then I can knit or sew and not have to worry about subtitles.

marq66 Sun 07-Mar-21 12:46:19

Big shout out for Grace and Frankie on Netflix!How wonderful to have a drama about mature women. Opened up a great discussion with my sister-in-law about the product grace & Frankie promote (as part of the story!) Tackles some fascinating older women's (and men's) issues in a light, fun way. Queen's Gambit is a must see. Films you might miss but should see: Chadwick Boseman in Marshall - a fascinating about a fascinating man who eventually became a US supreme judge. Similarly The Trail of Chicago Seven, a real story which is fascinating.

Redhead56 Thu 04-Mar-21 17:30:20

Started watching Schitts Creek with Eugene Levy Netflix.

Happiyogi Thu 04-Mar-21 17:29:03

Another vote for Call my Agent on Netflix. I loved it! It was good to see a present day version of Paris, as most films seem to be set in the past.

GagaJo Thu 04-Mar-21 17:16:53

I'm fed up with police / murder stuff. I like scandi but that's virtually all it is.

Littleannie Thu 04-Mar-21 15:36:24

Slightly off topic...
Last night I was watching the episode of The Crown where Philip was watching the moon landing, and complaining about his boring engagements. His secretary said his visits for the next day were lunch at British Salt followed by several others. My husband was catering manager at British Salt, and cooked the lunch. He had to submit 3 menus to Buckingham Palace, and they chose rack of lamb and baked Alaska. The Duke came into the kitchens afterwards and thanked them for an excellent lunch.

Boz Thu 04-Mar-21 09:29:15

Just discovered that Seaside Hotel on all4 has further Seasons that are available on Amazon Prime. They use 14 episodes to pull you in and then you pay for the rest! I shall be paying as I want to know how all the characters go on.

Boz Mon 01-Mar-21 11:05:02

Two excellent vintage serials on the Channel 4 app.

Sword of Honour - Daniel Craig

A Dance to the Music of Time (fantastic).

Witzend Mon 01-Mar-21 10:20:16

Haven’t watched it yet (it’s on the list) but Unorthodox is said to be very good.

Aveline Mon 01-Mar-21 10:14:48

I'm enjoying 'Devils' on Sky Atlantic (I access it though NOWTV that's included in my BT package). It's about intrigue around the world of high finance. I barely understand some of it but I'm gripped. The lead actor is easy on the eye.

Juliet27 Mon 01-Mar-21 08:08:37

London Kills series on bbc

loopyloo Mon 01-Mar-21 08:01:58

Call my Agent. Netflix And am now watching Zen.

Kim19 Mon 01-Mar-21 06:35:01

Last Tango in Halifax did it for me. BBC1

Bridie22 Mon 01-Mar-21 05:58:54

Behind her eyes on Netflix ..im hooked.

franceisfun Mon 01-Mar-21 01:09:33

The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) is excellent. Who would have thought a drama based on chess could be so stylish and gripping?

TerriBull Sun 21-Feb-21 08:29:28

I've just finished watching the first series of The Adulterer (Dutch) on Walter Presents, thought it was pretty good, will carry on with it as there are another 2.

I might watch Behind Her Eyes if only to see if it's better than the book, which was absolute shite imo.

Sar53 Sat 20-Feb-21 22:32:34

I've just started watching Behind her Eyes on Netflix, seems ok so far.