Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Countdown

(8 Posts)
Georgesgran Tue 23-Feb-21 12:08:04

I’ve been enjoying Colin Murray standing in for Nick Hewer on Countdown. However, it would seem that the new permanent host is Anne Robinson. Now I only know her through Weakest Link and her acerbic comments between the rounds. I do hope that was ‘an act’ and she will be more sympathetic to Countdown contestants.

There’s been a thread about new game shows and I think Weakest Link could make a comeback - but without the sarcasm. I used to like 15-1 with William G Stewart but when it came back with Sandi Toksvik (like her) the show was stretched out to an hour as she made comments to the contestants after every answer. I felt it lost something of the drama of the old programme with its quick-fire format.

timetogo2016 Tue 23-Feb-21 12:20:40

I haven`t watched the W/link for years Georgesgran and i don`t think i will again tbh.
As for Countdown,the thought of Anne Robinson hosting it is really off putting.
I enjoyed Colin Murray standing in for Nick Hewer,he was entertaining and comes across as a lovely man,and is banter with Suzy and Rachael is brilliant.

nadateturbe Tue 30-Mar-21 14:57:52

Oh no Anne Robinson. Please no! I would like Nick Hewer to stay. Colin Murray is too chatty.
But I really came on to say, Wasn't today a great game? Luke has been absolutely brilliant but it was good to see his opponent scoring well for a change.

shysal Tue 30-Mar-21 15:14:22

I like Colin Murray and think he does a good job. I used to listen to him when he DJ'd on Radio 1 years ago.

I read this morning that Sue Barker is to be replaced on A Question of Sport. I don't know much about sport but on the odd occasion that I have watched I enjoyed her rapport with the contestants. The replacements being considered are all comedians!

granfromafar Tue 30-Mar-21 18:59:38

I agree with timetogo2016 that Colin Murray had a good rapport with Susie and Rachel. It's a shame he wasn't offered the permanent position. Maybe he had other commitments? Not sure how Anne Robinson is going to get on- time will tell latest! Couldn't understand why Nick Hewer came back as thought his family felt he was too much at risk in the studio.
Surprised to hear about Sue Barker being replaced on Question of Sport.

grumppa Tue 30-Mar-21 19:15:56

Sue Barker’s departure, and the two current captains’ was reported some time ago. Comedians don’t sound a good idea; it needs to be someone sportspeople respect, e.g. a sports commentator or someone like Sue, a former singles champion.

EllanVannin Tue 30-Mar-21 19:26:39

There are some who are cut out to be game show hosts such as I like Jeremy Clarkson on Who wants to be a Millionaire instead of Chris Tarrant.

Welshwife Tue 30-Mar-21 19:43:43

Alex Scott the female football player is taking over as host instead of Sue Barker. It was announced a couple of months ago.