Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A taste of Italy More 4

(16 Posts)
Judy54 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:44:04

Has anyone been watching this series by Chef Nisha Katona, I am really enjoying it. I love Italy and have been lucky enough to visit Umbria and Puglia which feature in the first two episodes. Nisha finds hidden food gems such as porcini pasta in Umbria and orecchietto (translates as little ears) pasta dishes in Puglia. One of the dishes I remember from Umbria is porchetta which is pork belly stuffed with garlic and herbs, fennel being the main one. I would recommend this programme if you like Italy and Italian food. Enjoy!

Kate1949 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:58:47

Thank you for this. We've recorded it and look forward to watching it. We love Italy too and have been many times.

Deedaa Tue 23-Feb-21 17:35:05

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about food in Orvieto before (It is a beautiful city) I was a little shocked to see her drink that milky coffee after a meal - no wonder she needed a digestivo afterwards!

Judy54 Wed 24-Feb-21 13:29:48

Thank you Kate1949 and Deedaa for posting. It's a shame not to hear from more Gransnetters I think they are to busy on the argument thread right now!

Redhead56 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:09:07

I will definitely have to catch up to watch that programme thanks. I went to Rome with my daughter after her graduation I loved it there. DH and I went to Sardinia two years ago that was lovely.
We will go to Italy again hopefully when all is well with the world. I am not a beach suntanning person though I like to sit and watch the world go by with a cocktail ?. I think next time we visit Italy we might consider the lakes or somewhere small and picturesque.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 24-Feb-21 14:23:11

All being well we are going to Lake Como at the end of September. It was originally booked for last July. I love Italian food. I have often said that if I had to choose just one cuisine for the rest of my life, it would be Italian. My only request would be to have roast beef etc., and a Full English every few months!

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-Feb-21 14:55:38

Italy is my other love.

I'm especially drawn to out-of-the-way less traveled areas so Orecchiette I'm familiar with and notice it's in supermarkets here now.

I'll definitely look up this programme. Thanks.

Kim19 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:58:38

Find this programme delightful.

Deedaa Wed 24-Feb-21 20:27:49

Redhead56 If you go to the lakes I would recommend Lake Iseo. It lies to the south east of Lake Garda and is smaller and less touristy. Lovely scenery and food and Franciacorta wine which is the best sparkling white in Italy.

Redhead56 Thu 25-Feb-21 17:41:40

Deedaa thanks for that recommendation I will look into that sounds lovely!

Kate1949 Thu 25-Feb-21 18:52:50

Redhead We've been to Lakes Como and Garda. Both beautiful obviously but I really loved Lake Garda. We hopped on the ferry each day and got off at one of the stunning towns on the lake. Wonderful.

Lucca Thu 25-Feb-21 19:35:00

Thank you I’ll also look at this ! Italy is my favourite country.

Curlywhirly Fri 26-Feb-21 07:53:10

Well being half Italian, I have to agree that Italian food is the best! Judy54 thanks for letting us know about this programme, I will look it up. We go to Italy every year, sometimes to visit family and sometimes further afield, but due to Covid, we never went last year and I'm really missing it. My favourite places are The Lakes (especially Como) and a lovely seaside resort near to my mother's home (in the north east); there are virtually no British there, and you need to be able to speak quite a bit of Italian (I'm not fluent by any means, but get by fine). I haven't been to Puglia and that's next on my list, I keep looking at the brochures and hoping we can book something soon!

Judy54 Fri 26-Feb-21 12:41:33

Thank you Curlywhirly I love the lakes too. Umbria is beautiful as is Bergamo. Definitely recommend Puglia. So many lovely places to visit in Italy can't wait to visit again feel quite nostalgic thinking about it. In the meantime it is great to watch this programme not just for the food but also the magnificent scenery.

Lucca Fri 26-Feb-21 14:34:57

Watched the Orvieto one and loved seeing the food and scenery ! However my bubble and I agree we don’t like when the celeb cook does their own version of the dish ! I’d rather see more of the locals cooking !

Redhead56 Fri 26-Feb-21 16:56:44

Kate1949 that’s sounds lovely too I have certainly got choice to think about now thanks!