Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Unorthodox

(16 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 10:02:41

I m new to Netflix so apologies if this has already been discussed but I just watched all four episodes of Unorthodox and loved it so much I wanted to see if anyone else had seen it
I thought it was well acted and well documented about a closed Jewish community with all the many rules regulations and superstitious beliefs and a believable storyline throughout If it had been a book I would have said I couldn’t put it down

Redhead56 Tue 09-Mar-21 12:04:18

Yes I watched it and I thought it was interesting. I understand the programme reflects life in such communities.

fevertree Tue 09-Mar-21 12:13:12

I watched it a while ago, I thought it was excellent.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 12:50:56

No, I missed it. Sounds very interesting and I might look it up on iPlayer?

Not tonight though.
It’s ‘Unforgotten ‘!

BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 12:56:27

I think it’s well worth it Umstrong it moved me and lifted me as well and although I thought I knew about the Jewish community and life styles this was shown at a much deeper level and a bit eye opening at times

Farmor15 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:25:07

It’s loosely based on the book ‘Orthodox - The scandalous rejection of my Hasidic roots’, by Deborah Feldman. I heard the author talking on radio and then watched the Netflix series. I wanted to know more and found the book available on Kindle. If you enjoyed the series, the book is well worth reading as it gives much more background.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 16:28:48

Ah. Netflix.
I don’t subscribe. Sadly in this case.

suziewoozie Tue 09-Mar-21 16:32:03

I watched this last year and was blown away by it on so many levels. It avoided lazy stereotypes of good and bad and showed beautifully the complexities caused by religious fundamentalism, especially for women.

suziewoozie Tue 09-Mar-21 16:34:49

Urmstongran

Ah. Netflix.

Haven’t you got anyone you could ‘piggyback’ on? We access Netflix through my dd’s account but actually I think that I’d pay myself now as I’ve seen so much good stuff on it over he last year

MerylStreep Tue 09-Mar-21 16:37:48

Urmstongan

vegansrock Tue 09-Mar-21 16:54:04

Netflix definitely worth the subscription. Less than the price of a trip to the cinema and loads of good stuff. I loved Unorthodox and the little documentary The Making of Unorthodox where they interviewed the actors. I’ve just watched a Turkish series called Ethos on Netflix which is about a clash of cultures in Istanbul- if you liked Unorthodox you’d like this one.

TerriBull Tue 09-Mar-21 17:31:14

Yes it was excellent, a real insight into strictures of the Jewish Orthodox religion and the restrictive narrow confines imposed on the women.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Mar-21 19:06:52

I piggyback on my daughters accounts and never knew I needed it till I got it but there’s some splendid programmes I would have missed without
I recommended it to my friend and she just texted to say how much she enjoyed it and had tears nearly all the way through
Thanks for the heads up vegan I ll try that one

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 19:10:13

suziewoozie

Urmstongran

Ah. Netflix.

Haven’t you got anyone you could ‘piggyback’ on? We access Netflix through my dd’s account but actually I think that I’d pay myself now as I’ve seen so much good stuff on it over he last year

Thank you sw I must look into this idea!

suziewoozie Tue 09-Mar-21 20:39:02

Urm we have a complex web of piggy backing in this household - Netflix and Spotify from DD, Sky from DD’s FIL and we pay for BT TV which we share with DD, aforementioned FIL and a friend.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 20:44:11

We do get SKY courtesy of our daughter and son in law but I just never thought to widen the net(Flix)! I’m behind the curve here, so thanks for the nudge sw!