Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Billy Monger on BBC last night 18th March

(14 Posts)
Gwyneth Fri 19-Mar-21 08:46:16

I don’t know if anyone watched this programme about Billy Monger, a young man, who had both his legs amputated as a result of an accident in his racing car. He was completing a triathlon to raise funds for Comic Relief. I thought that he was an inspiration in terms of his courage, positive attitude and determination and he always had a smile on his face. I really hope that after all this incredible effort he raises lots of money for Comic Relief.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:02:36

Billy Monger aka Billy Wizz is a remarkable young man.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Mar-21 09:10:21

Billy whizz is slang for amphetamine! - or a condom, depending on where you live.

This programme sounds really worth a watch - I will try and see it.

Gwyneth Fri 19-Mar-21 09:14:27

It really is worth watching luckygirl. Go for it!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:21:09

Luckygirl

Billy whizz is slang for amphetamine! - or a condom, depending on where you live.

This programme sounds really worth a watch - I will try and see it.

I understand he got the nickname due to his fast driving both in carting and then in Formula racing.

Gwyneth Fri 19-Mar-21 09:30:56

Yes I believe he did grannygravy. Also Billy Whiz was a character in either the Beano or the Dandy comics I seem to recall.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Mar-21 12:44:15

My DGS called his tortoise Billy Whizz! Made his parents smile

Susan56 Fri 19-Mar-21 13:45:18

I watched a documentary when he was recovering from his accident.I have just watched last nights documentary.It was lovely to see how far Billy has come in his recovery.He really is an amazing and inspiring young man,his positivity is an example to us all.I was in tears by the end of the programme.His family were amazing too.

Soroptimum Fri 19-Mar-21 13:54:52

Inspirational young man. The programme was excellent, don’t forget to donate to Comic Relief, the reason he did the amazing journey of 140 miles. Type BILLY to 70210 for £10, 70220 for £20, and 70230 for £30.

tidyskatemum Fri 19-Mar-21 15:30:43

What an inspiring programme it was - and what a fantastic young man. I hadn’t appreciated how much more energy it takes to walk on prosthetics, never mind the problems of balancing on a bike or in a kayak but he just gritted his teeth and got on with it. The poor lad was crying his eyes out by the end. So was I! His entire family came over as really lovely people too. I’d recommend everyone to watch - and donate if you can.

Deedaa Fri 19-Mar-21 19:13:19

I didn't watch this programme but I've watched his career since his accident and he is an amazing young man.

Elrel Mon 22-Mar-21 23:24:22

Very impressive young man.

Callistemon Mon 22-Mar-21 23:37:24

Gwyneth

Yes I believe he did grannygravy. Also Billy Whiz was a character in either the Beano or the Dandy comics I seem to recall.

I immediately thought of Billy Whiz in the Beano - the World's Fastest Boy!

I didn't see the programme but did see him on the news - what an inspiration he is!

Callistemon Mon 22-Mar-21 23:38:32

Billy Whizz

Thank you, autocorrect!