Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Line of Duty - Series 6

(618 Posts)
muse Sun 21-Mar-21 12:34:53

Yes - finally. About to start tonight. 7 episodes. This is in my top three of great crime drama series. The Bridge is second with Shetland third.

The phone will be on silent and MrM had better not interrupt my pleasure. I think he's tempted to watch it though.

Jed Mercurio never ceases to come up with a great story line. Series 3 was probably be best so far for me.

Washerwoman Mon 03-May-21 17:08:48

Yes Tizliz.Just watched again and spotted that !

Chestnut Mon 03-May-21 17:06:54

Callistemon

^What it means is that I don't understand how Buckells could possibly give orders to anyone of higher rank including murders, control people, or be running anything from the top.^

Because he had a hold over Jo Davidson as he had convinced her that her father (or who she believed was her father) was an OCG boss.

But Buckells had been involved before Jo Davidson appeared. In the past there were people of much higher rank than him involved, so how could he be controlling them? Would they allow someone of lower rank in the Police force issue orders for people to be murdered etc?

tanith Mon 03-May-21 16:51:21

You’re right Tizliz well spotted.

Tizliz Mon 03-May-21 15:49:51

Right at the end where the notes at the bottom of the screen were telling you what happened to the different characters it said something like ‘AC12 is now run by close associates of the Chief Constable.’ Thought that might point to him being corrupt.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:38:59

I've read some books with excellent unexpected twists at the end; this was fairly unexpected but not very satisfying.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:37:01

Thanks.

Yes (probably)

I shall have to watch it again.

Amberone Mon 03-May-21 15:37:00

I actually feel a bit sorry for Jed Mecurio this morning.Such a negative response to the ending.

I do too, a little bit. I wasn't expecting a big shoot out ending, not even that H would be revealed and taken down really (much as we like our heroes to win in the end), just something ... more. It was almost like an academic tying up of some loose ends, nothing really final and clear.

To me it was definitely (definately??) left as if another series was planned but I know if I was Mercurio I wouldn't be trying to top this series. He could end up being lynched by irate Grannies if Series 7 was a flop ?

Alegrias1 Mon 03-May-21 15:33:06

I don't think Davidson knew it was Buckells. He was operating through the messaging service, hence they were able to track him down via the "Definately" spelling.

Her real father, Tommy Hunter, had convinced her that Patrick Fairbank was her father, and that he was OCG, which is why the three of them interviewed Fairbank.

I think confused

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:23:42

What it means is that I don't understand how Buckells could possibly give orders to anyone of higher rank including murders, control people, or be running anything from the top.

Because he had a hold over Jo Davidson as he had convinced her that her father (or who she believed was her father) was an OCG boss.

Chestnut Mon 03-May-21 15:17:27

Muse I read an interesting comment on another site this morning 'The scene with Chloe and shredding was to highlight orders from the higher ups are followed and some never questioned + repeated throughout “you can’t be questioned by someone a rank beneath you” think about what that means!'
What it means is that I don't understand how Buckells could possibly give orders to anyone of higher rank including murders, control people, or be running anything from the top.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:09:42

My hope was that it would be Carmichael partly because they kept talking about The Fourth Man - as if the thought never entered their heads that it could actually be a woman who was in charge of organised crime!

I was hoping for some equality - either Carmichael or the DCC, Wise.

Callistemon Mon 03-May-21 15:02:54

Amberone

Perhaps the next series will be 'The Taking of AC-12' when Hastings, Arnott and Fleming join together to take down Carmichael and Osborn ... ably supported by Chloe, Davidson and all the others still in position from the investigation. It will be like the Magnificent 7, as Fleming and Arnott ride around recruiting support.

Think I need to lie down.

I can't wait!

Please start writing Amberone
?

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 14:41:02

Lovely knitted dolls ( although they might be lively as well)

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 14:39:39

Washerwoman

I actually feel a bit sorry for Jed Mecurio this morning.Such a negative response to the ending.
I think an overblown shoot out style ending wouldn't have been a satisfactory conclusion either.
And to be fair he has kept us gripped for years now.I'm still glad I've invested so many TV hours watching it and DH and I will rewatch all the series at some point.In the meantime I'm going to rewatch last night's now with a coffee.

Agreed - and also I’ve really enjoyed it being such a big nationwide event with so many millions of us investing in it, the really witty jokes and Tweets it’s engendered, the lively knitted dolls. Lots of good clean harmless fun and such a tonic compared with everything else going on.Thsnk you JM ?

muse Mon 03-May-21 14:38:17

I enjoyed it. Loved it and about to watch it again.

Just listened to last 2 podcast interviews with Jed.
www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09gftky
He explains why he didn’t to a predictable over dramatic end. I suspect that many would have preferred some big shot “baddy” to get their comeuppance. It would have been way to obvious to have been Osborn. He hoped it would make a few, or even a lot of people/fans think of the corruption in other areas of life. Some have mentioned this already on this thread. Totally agree with them

OK, so it's a drama to entertain, but it's also a drama to make us think.

I read an interesting comment on another site this morning The scene with Chloe and shredding was to highlight orders from the higher ups are followed and some never questioned + repeated throughout “you can’t be questioned by someone a rank beneath you” think about what that means!

He didn’t say there wouldn’t be any more. In fact, in the previous interview, before the final, he strongly hints of further LoD. ??

Amberone Mon 03-May-21 13:49:43

Perhaps the next series will be 'The Taking of AC-12' when Hastings, Arnott and Fleming join together to take down Carmichael and Osborn ... ably supported by Chloe, Davidson and all the others still in position from the investigation. It will be like the Magnificent 7, as Fleming and Arnott ride around recruiting support.

Think I need to lie down.

Washerwoman Mon 03-May-21 13:40:39

I think an overblown shoot out style ending wouldn't have been a satisfactory conclusion either.
And to be fair he has kept us gripped for years now.I'm still glad I've invested so many TV hours watching it and DH and I will rewatch all the series at some point.In the meantime I'm going to rewatch last night's now with a coffee.

suziewoozie Mon 03-May-21 12:31:12

Emily49

Ah, no, not knitted by me - a pic from Facebook

There’s an online auction in NI were knitted figures like this have reached £500 already ( money going to charity).

Emily49 Mon 03-May-21 11:23:35

Ah, no, not knitted by me - a pic from Facebook

FindingNemo15 Mon 03-May-21 11:18:20

Emily 49 - thank you. Where did you get the pattern for the donkey please?

Amberone Mon 03-May-21 11:08:22

Well I thought that ending was a bit of a wet fish... I'm still quite amped up waiting for something to happen ?

Having said that we're watching it again this morning because we can't agree on what actually happened - there was so much going on with so many people it's hard to keep track of the details.

Emily49 Mon 03-May-21 11:03:19

(For Findingnemo15)

Emily49 Mon 03-May-21 11:02:09

Calendargirl Mon 03-May-21 10:59:51

There would be no point in a future series without Ted.

FindingNemo15 Mon 03-May-21 10:54:17

Alioop: "Emily 49, love the wee donkey" - please explain. Think I have missed something!