Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Thank you BBC

(103 Posts)
mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 10:44:46

I would like to thank the BBC as to how they have respected The Duke of Edinburgh for the twenty-fours hours after his death was made known to us.
Some people have complained that they have missed the soaps, sport and other weekly/ daily programs which can be seen at a later date or switch to other channels.
I was very ignorant to many facts of his life and considering his life service to the UK and the Commonwealth, I think they couldn’t have done better

Mollygo Wed 14-Apr-21 10:24:40

mokryna

olddudders I am also living abroad. Fortunately I can pick British tv here, not like when I lived in Beijing in the early 90s, there it was government controlled and the local people did not know anything about was happening locally nor globally.

There are still places where what you can watch is government controlled. Would critical threads like this be allowed or was that controlled too?

Mogsmaw Sun 11-Apr-21 21:20:35

AcornFairy it’s not about hitting the off button it’s about having service completely withdrawn.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 20:41:13

AcornFairy

suziewoozie - yes, it is actually about hitting the off button. And yes, I have read this thread: carefully. And what is being said leads me to believe that too many people place the BBC on too much of a pedestal. The institution consists of human beings. Many and varied. Like you and me. They – we – cannot be all things to all people.

Not having the same thing on 3 channels doesn’t sound like too much to expect from a public body that forces me to pay it a licence fee. That’s not putting it on a pedestal, it’s what imo I’ve a right to expect.

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 20:39:19

I don't think asking a TV service not to run programmes on the same subject at the same time is putting something on a pedestal, it's a fairly normal expectation.

AcornFairy Sun 11-Apr-21 20:30:45

suziewoozie - yes, it is actually about hitting the off button. And yes, I have read this thread: carefully. And what is being said leads me to believe that too many people place the BBC on too much of a pedestal. The institution consists of human beings. Many and varied. Like you and me. They – we – cannot be all things to all people.

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 19:26:33

The RHS closing is a complete over-reaction. I'd have been furious.

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 19:25:50

The BBC has been inundated with complaints. So the people who think closing all BBC stations was a good thing are well in the minority and it can’t be justified.

The BBC releases information about the number of complaints it receives fortnightly. The next report's not due until 15 April, so we don't actually know this. I'd guess they've had a lot, but I'd also guess that there's now a huge swathe of the population that doesn't watch terrestrial television, so won't be bothered in the slightest.

jacqrose Sun 11-Apr-21 19:07:15

polarbear2 agree with you and what else are they going to slip through during eight days
of mourning

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 19:03:46

Just read up on this - people had to exit through a narrow way out with no social distancing. The resultant traffic chaos on the A3 was dreadful

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 18:58:53

The RHS has completely lost the plot. Shops didn’t close, NT didn’t close - who gave the order I wonder. You can spend a fortune travelling to and paying to get in and then you get chucked out? Mass evacuation? Oh how very Covid secure.

vegansrock Sun 11-Apr-21 18:47:41

Well royalists would say it’s a mark of respect - why? Anyone who wants to respect PP can do so in their own way, they don’t have to have diktats telling them when and how to do it. If you want to watch a documentary on his life you can do so on one channel, don’t need 3. Smacks of Soviet system where we all have to toe the party line.

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 18:44:54

AcornFairy

There are obviously a lot of BBC viewers out there. This thread also demonstrates that there are a lot of BBC viewers who are reluctant to hit the “off” button. Come on folks, there’s more to life than telly! I agree with mokryna. Thank you, BBC, for Friday’s coverage about the death of Prince Philip. I learned a lot and when I had had my fill I turned off. Simples. Plenty else to do.

This is silly/ it’s not about hitting the off button is it? Is about the BBC not offering a choice. Try and read the thread. I’m sure the content x 3 was delightful and all the better for being in trioeo

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 18:40:57

vegansrock

Well over 90% of viewers weren’t watching this repetitive obituary. The BBC has been inundated with complaints. So the people who think closing all BBC stations was a good thing are well in the minority and it can’t be justified. I am one who complained, and I’ve complained to the RHS who closed all their gardens, chucking everyone out who’d travelled to get to the gardens on Friday. Yes, it does affect me as I’d booked in for Wisley on Saturday and they are saying they’ll close for the funeral. PP said he didn’t want a fuss!!!

This is beyond dreadful. Bloody fascism imo. Perhaps a royalist could care to defend this? WTAF

AcornFairy Sun 11-Apr-21 18:34:38

There are obviously a lot of BBC viewers out there. This thread also demonstrates that there are a lot of BBC viewers who are reluctant to hit the “off” button. Come on folks, there’s more to life than telly! I agree with mokryna. Thank you, BBC, for Friday’s coverage about the death of Prince Philip. I learned a lot and when I had had my fill I turned off. Simples. Plenty else to do.

mokryna Sun 11-Apr-21 18:29:15

olddudders I am also living abroad. Fortunately I can pick British tv here, not like when I lived in Beijing in the early 90s, there it was government controlled and the local people did not know anything about was happening locally nor globally.

Polarbear2 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:59:04

muse while they’re flooding the airwaves with Prince Phillip tributes were not seeing, for example, what’s happening in Northern Ireland. News about MPs claiming rent on expenses and then renting their own homes out. I have nothing against PP but this blanket coverage is deliberate IMO.

vegansrock Sun 11-Apr-21 17:56:11

Well over 90% of viewers weren’t watching this repetitive obituary. The BBC has been inundated with complaints. So the people who think closing all BBC stations was a good thing are well in the minority and it can’t be justified. I am one who complained, and I’ve complained to the RHS who closed all their gardens, chucking everyone out who’d travelled to get to the gardens on Friday. Yes, it does affect me as I’d booked in for Wisley on Saturday and they are saying they’ll close for the funeral. PP said he didn’t want a fuss!!!

Littleannie Sun 11-Apr-21 17:55:06

BBC 4 was shut down completely

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 17:44:16

Galaxy

????Quite possible to post when you are out.

Yep

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 17:06:34

????Quite possible to post when you are out.

lemsip Sun 11-Apr-21 16:58:35

suziewoozie ....... Have a nice day out next saturday. won't expect any posts from you on here on that day then.

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 15:52:25

Ah, I get it now, jacqrose, thank you. Job done sounds good to me!

jacqrose Sun 11-Apr-21 15:51:15

Maggiemaybe I just meant using the code word London Bridge for the queen is redundant as we are all aware of it now. I’ve been trying to think of what the new code name might be. How about job done.

Eloethan Sun 11-Apr-21 15:48:22

I think it was totally uncalled for to have exactly the same programme on both BBC1 and BBC2. It smacks of propaganda and authoritarianism. I just kept the TV turned off.

I read that both the BBC and ITV had a 62% drop in viewing figures.

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 15:28:53

Maggiemaybe thank you for the link. I think london bridge may be redundant now.

Why do you say that, jacqrose? I don't think that when the Queen dies, it'll be an Econo Funeral down the local Crem. However much some might want that.