Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

jeremy vine

(80 Posts)
earnshaw Sat 17-Apr-21 16:35:19

this man so annoys me, his latest rant is asking why there are no blacks mentioned in Prince Philips funeral, does the man not realise that there are only 30 invited, most being family, sick to death now of racist rubbish, time to put Jeremy out to pasture

Chardy Tue 20-Apr-21 12:07:20

One of the very few people I instantly switch off (radio or TV) if I accidentally find him

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Apr-21 11:20:19

There was somebody on the radio show yesterday who was completely passionate about the football story. I think it was Gary Neville. He was incandescent! JV obviously couldn't think of a single question to put to him so he literally ignored the comments and went to the next guest. He has talent whatsoever, except the promotion of JV.

MagicWand Tue 20-Apr-21 11:10:47

At the risk of derailing this thread again in a different direction, I’ve always regarded JV (only ever heard the radio show) as the equivalent of the tabloids personified! Anything for publicity and a public reaction to make his show sound edgy and controversial.

I always got the impression when I couldn’t get to the off button quickly enough, that as people were getting more and more irate and upset, he would be rubbing his hands together thinking ‘Ooh this is really great for my show!!’

Unfortunately I don’t think he’s interested enough in the people he interviews for it ever to be called good programming.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:51:06

I only know his name really, I did listen to him on the radio once and thought he was so drippy that I haven’t bothered since, so I know nothing about him.

Callistemon Mon 19-Apr-21 10:33:27

Greeneyedgirl

Ah ha! That’s him. Never take much notice of the presenters TBH. He’s quite nice looking if he’s the one I’m thinking of.......

He can't be!

You must be thinking of someone else

Purplepixie Mon 19-Apr-21 10:18:15

Not not a fan here either. He was originally a journalist and we all know how they can stir things up. Very unnecessary and I am also so sick of the race card as well.

kircubbin2000 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:15:55

He's slightly better on the radio but he's so naively ignorant about so much I wonder if it's a knack. I do like his shirts.

dolphindaisy Mon 19-Apr-21 10:11:30

Deedaa

Jeremy Vine constantly infuriates me on Eggheads. Is he really as ignorant as he makes out or is it an act to make him relateable (!) The things he claims never to have heard of that I was learning about in primary school ......................................

Totally agree with you Deedaa, I do sometimes watch his morning show because I like discussion programmes but I'm often amazed at the everyday things he seems to know nothing about, he must never listen to the news even if he does work in TV and radio

monk08 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:00:51

Corbyn, Vine & Clarkson don't like any of them it must be the name Jeremy ?

trisher Mon 19-Apr-21 09:55:17

I've tried watching his morning TV show. I turned him off.
As for Eggheads stopped watching ages ago it was so fixed.

MerylStreep Mon 19-Apr-21 09:23:05

Kamiso

Haven’t watched or listened to anything with JV in since I found the off button on my remote. Patronising, arrogant and ignorant.

Saw Tim Vine live at a charity gala and he is very bright and very funny. Odd how the same parents can produce two very different personalities. He did say his brother was nothing like his tv persona in real life. Strange that he chooses to behave publicly like a total prat.

I think one of them was accidentally swapped at birth ?

Greeneyedgirl Mon 19-Apr-21 09:19:14

Ah ha! That’s him. Never take much notice of the presenters TBH. He’s quite nice looking if he’s the one I’m thinking of.......

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:22:35

Oh - that contradicts what Deedaa says
Is he really as ignorant as he makes out or is it an act to make him relateable (!) The things he claims never to have heard of that I was learning about in primary school .......

grin

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:20:31

Greeneyedgirl

I honestly didn’t know who Jeremy Vine was until I glean from this thread that he controversially, apparently, hosts a radio show. Must listen, don’t want to be out of the loop. ?

Do you never watch the election results Greeneyedgirl?

He's usually jumping around with his swingometer and thinks he's an expert on everything

Deedaa Sun 18-Apr-21 15:05:27

Jeremy Vine constantly infuriates me on Eggheads. Is he really as ignorant as he makes out or is it an act to make him relateable (!) The things he claims never to have heard of that I was learning about in primary school ......................................

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 13:40:45

Greeneyedgirl I genuinely envy you!
I wish that I wasn't firmly embedded in that particular loop!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 18-Apr-21 13:35:40

I honestly didn’t know who Jeremy Vine was until I glean from this thread that he controversially, apparently, hosts a radio show. Must listen, don’t want to be out of the loop. ?

Kamiso Sun 18-Apr-21 13:15:50

Haven’t watched or listened to anything with JV in since I found the off button on my remote. Patronising, arrogant and ignorant.

Saw Tim Vine live at a charity gala and he is very bright and very funny. Odd how the same parents can produce two very different personalities. He did say his brother was nothing like his tv persona in real life. Strange that he chooses to behave publicly like a total prat.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:55:39

Oops, me too. But I can't agree that a first from anywhere, even Cambridge, automatically makes you an intellectual grin

Iam64 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:53:40

Thanks trisher. I stand happily corrected.

trisher Sun 18-Apr-21 12:39:56

Feltz may be annoying but she has a first in English from Cambridge and she is one of the 10 highest earning women inthe BBC at about £355,000. She is actually an intellectual!

Iam64 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:28:28

Alegrias1

Strangely, I'm going to be more blunt than suzie about this.

Can we just stop this "I see the person not the colour" nonsense? Its like saying "some of my best friends are Jews".

If you "don't see the colour" you are denying the history of race relations in this country and in others. If you need to tell us you're not racist, then.....

Thanks Alergrias1, very well put.
By the way, I’d avoided Venessa Feltz but heard her on the JV show. Definitely not an intellectual but I find her discussions with listeners warmer. More empathic so more likely to allow people to express themselves than with Mr Patronising

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 11:36:51

Off track completely but Anne Diamond is really good I think, I am not sure why she has never really obtained national treasure status.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:34:46

Strangely, I'm going to be more blunt than suzie about this.

Can we just stop this "I see the person not the colour" nonsense? Its like saying "some of my best friends are Jews".

If you "don't see the colour" you are denying the history of race relations in this country and in others. If you need to tell us you're not racist, then.....

suziewoozie Sun 18-Apr-21 11:31:12

hulahoop

shropshirelass I agree I have worked with people from different countries ,I see the person not the colour
I think Jeremy Vine comes across has condescending especially when speaking on the phone and the leaping about he does makes him look stupid like an overgrown school boy. I like program when Anne Diamond or even Storm both do a better job.

It’s a pity that we don’t live in a world like that isn’t it that only sees the person not the colour? Comments like that come perilously close to denying the reality of prejudice and discrimination based on a person’s colour/ ethnicity. I’m sure you don’t mean to do that but it could come across like that. Not with reference to the funeral, but there are many situations where I look at a large group of people and think, that’s a very white group ( often in tandem with also very male, middle class and older)