Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Oscars

(7 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 26-Apr-21 12:30:26

I haven’t seen the complete list of winners but it appears that at least a couple of them can only be seen by subscribing to certain networks. As with Roma a few years ago. It seems wrong that I can’t just go to a cinema and see a film or buy the dvd. I know I can subscribe for a month and then cancel etc etc but I’ve always felt that for a film to win such awards we all should just be able to watch them. I’m desperate to see Nomadland and My Octopus Teacher but that involves subscribing to two networks.

Sarnia Tue 27-Apr-21 07:58:02

Nomadland will be in cinemas towards the end of May. I have booked a ticket at my local cinema to see it. I think these networks have filled a void during the pandemic but with restrictions easing I think people will be looking forward to going back to the cinema again.

TerriBull Tue 27-Apr-21 08:38:19

Personally I was rooting for Riz Ahmed to win the Best Actor award "The Sound of Metal" which is on Amazon although rather a bleak film his performance is outstanding as a heavy metal drummer rapidly going deaf.

I agree with Sarnia the networks have filled a void during lockdown, I miss going to the cinema, but subscribing to Prime and getting Netflix courtesy of my son has enabled me to see some films I may have otherwise seen at the cinema if life were normal.

fevertree Tue 27-Apr-21 09:07:40

Maybee sometimes if you dig around on the internet you will find films - especially documentaries - on other platforms. My Octopus Teacher is on this link, I think it is free, I hope it works:

www.documentarymania.com/player.php?title=My%20Octopus%20Teacher

It's wonderful that it has won so many awards.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Apr-21 14:59:47

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a go.

Jane43 Thu 29-Apr-21 14:16:30

I am disappointed that Nomadland isn’t on Netflix or Amazon Prime but on Disney Plus. I will just have to go to the cinema to see it. Roma was on Netflix but I was a bit disappointed with it, Parasite was on Netflix or Amazon Prime and I thought that was very good indeed. I will be watching The Sound Of Metal this weekend.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Apr-21 16:38:28

I don’t mind if films eventually go onto dvd but I tried for ages to get Roma. I think it might be on dvd now.