Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Help please!

(7 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 30-Apr-21 09:11:31

I started watching a film the other night which was really good. It was late so I only watched about 10 to 15 minutes of it and I thought I'd wait and get DH to watch it with me. However I can't find it now and don't know what it's called. It's set in about 1860 something and starts off with a man chopping wood and then you see his wife inside their house teaching two kids about adverbs. Then all of a sudden Native Americans appears over the hill and start to kill the family. The wife escapes with the baby and hides under a rock. That was as far as I got. Any ideas what this film is please?

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Apr-21 09:19:06

I've seen it! I've definitely watched parts of it. DH is bonkers about anything Western-y
It was too upsetting for me.
I will go and have a look in a bit and get back to you.
I think that it's on Netflix isn't it?
See you shortly...

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Apr-21 09:23:55

I'm back!
I think that it is 'Hostiles'; it stars Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike.
Rosamund is the mother.
It is a brilliant film.

GrandmaKT Fri 30-Apr-21 09:40:40

This is why I love Gransnet! flowers

grannyrebel7 Fri 30-Apr-21 10:26:50

Thank you guys. Much appreciated. Yes Gransnet is brilliant. Will definitely finish watching it now I know what it's called. My DH loves a western too. We started watching Dances with Wolves last night, but it's 3hrs & 19 mins long so we stopped half way through!

Jane43 Fri 30-Apr-21 11:50:05

Yes my husband loves Westerns too, even the old ones, I will tell him about this one.

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Apr-21 12:03:39

Jane there are a surprisingly lot of modern Westerns.
If you have Amazon prime TV or Netflix just search for Westerns.

As for the old movies, Audie Murphy is like a member of the family.
I even have my own favourite John Wayne film (Rooster Coburn). Katherine Hepburn is in it.