Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Line of Duty disappointment at ending

(22 Posts)
Dottynan Tue 04-May-21 07:12:44

If you were disappointed what ending would you have enjoyed. Who do you think should have been H

Sparklefizz Tue 04-May-21 08:33:38

Carmichael .... I still think she is !

NotSpaghetti Tue 04-May-21 08:41:27

It was a dull episode.
No idea who it should have been but the unraveling was ridiculous.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 04-May-21 08:56:30

It sounded as if the script writer was making it up as he went along. After previous series might he have been pondering who was going to be H all along. He had the option to alter things and it seemed as if he ran out of new ideas. It was a damp squid as opposed to a firework.

Chardy Tue 04-May-21 09:14:54

It was a thought-provoking end rather than the machine-guns-in-AC12 -broken-glass-car-chase finales we've had in the past. It was a metaphor for our time (surprising as the H actor was told over a year ago that he'd play a significant role in the final episode!).

BigBertha1 Tue 04-May-21 09:22:40

I like it - would have liked to have seen the Chief Constable unmasked but maybe its been left open for another series.

NotSpaghetti Tue 04-May-21 09:32:52

I don’t think I’d bother with another series, BigBertha.
Underwhelming.

Polarbear2 Tue 04-May-21 09:44:35

I too think it was a reflection of our times. In fact Jed Mercurio said exactly that on Twitter. Bad people get away with things. There’s little integrity about at the top. Lies are commonplace and go unpunished. Jed was showing us how it is. Any writer can do a big show off finale. This was meant to make us think - and hopefully wake up.

Alegrias1 Tue 04-May-21 09:47:29

Polarbear2 ?

Emily49 Tue 04-May-21 09:49:10

Polarbear2

I too think it was a reflection of our times. In fact Jed Mercurio said exactly that on Twitter. Bad people get away with things. There’s little integrity about at the top. Lies are commonplace and go unpunished. Jed was showing us how it is. Any writer can do a big show off finale. This was meant to make us think - and hopefully wake up.

I was disappointed when I watched it, but, on refelrction, I think it was an interesting ending - thought provoking. Scary to think the Met might be / is like that?

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-May-21 10:04:08

I wasn’t disappointed. I thought it was a well crafted episode, and thought-provoking. I particularly liked Ted deciding to ‘fess up to Carmichael about his wrongdoings. It confirmed him as a good guy and his little speech gave her plenty to mull over.

I hope there’s another series and we get to know more about the shenanigans of her and the top brass.

eazybee Tue 04-May-21 10:04:53

Jed was showing us how it is
No he wasn't. Bad things do happen and people go unpunished, usually because of laziness and incompetence, but no police force would have been allowed to run up a bill of thousands upon thousands for the frequent appearance of dozens of armed police and the use of the police helicopter, again, thousands per hour. Not to mention the body count.
An investigation by a team of forensic accountants would be more to the point: 'who signed off these bills?' would lead to H or more likely, 'Y'.
Then the murderous staff at the local prison, the unbelievable technology available to the prisoners, James Nesbitt as a dead red herring, the murders of Jill Dando and Stephen Lawrence to give it gravitas, and the borrowing of a mis- spelling as a clue: Morse did it so much better in an early episode, involving the use, or misuse, of z or s in realize.
A sloppy episode and a poor conclusion, with no clues given: it could have been anyone.
To round off my diatribe: the lecture about integrity had about as much impact as those issued by Prince Harry.

Parsley3 Tue 04-May-21 10:31:35

Polarbear2

Spot on Polarbear. What better way for embedded corruption to thrive than to find a bumbling incompetent and then to make sure that they are promoted to an influential position. Their obvious blunders will be an entertaining distraction from the truth. A perfect ending to series 6.

Shaniqgran Tue 04-May-21 11:22:27

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:22:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tanith Tue 04-May-21 11:26:32

Reported

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:28:05

Shaniqgran Tue 04-May-21 11:28:27

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 11:29:52

Is it an INSET day today, you pair?

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:36:48

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:37:08

muse Tue 04-May-21 12:05:01

I wasn't disappointed.
I'm in totally agreement with Polarbear. I've listened to Jed Mercurio being interviewed on BBC Sounds Podcast "Obsessed with ..." Two interviews: one before the final and one after it on Monday. He explains why it wasn't an 'all guns blazing' ending and also why he linked it back to series 1.

Jed Mercurio is showing us how it is. He's taken his plot lines from notable cases and news stories throughout the series.

I don't think Buckles was the last 'bent' copper and I do hope there is a series 7.