Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Your best ever TV ad? 'Levis in the laundrette' for me!

(135 Posts)
ixion Wed 05-May-21 17:15:48

I see that model Nik Kamen has sadly died.
For me the 1985 Levi's ad, set in the laundrette, to the music of 'Heard It Through the Grapevine' was up there with the finest.
Any other contributions?

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 11:27:19

I'd forgotten the Hamlet one - very funny.

Grannynannywanny Sun 16-May-21 08:11:08

Gregor Fisher in the Hamlet cigar advert in the 80’s. He’s in a passport photo booth fixing his awful comb over and posing in anticipation of the flash. He has a couple of false starts when he moves just as the photo is taken. Then the seat collapses just as the final photo is taken. Not a word spoken but it’s very funny.

youtu.be/rlYMID5qCdE

absent Sun 16-May-21 05:59:42

I rarely watch TV but once in a while I watched something and, in between, caught the partying Bacardi cat.

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 00:18:20

I like the funny ads. It's going back quite a bit but the Smash ads always made me laugh. Not keen on the soppy John Lewis type ads or the "buy this and all your friends will envy you" type ads.

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 18:11:07

olliebeak

A few favourites from me ....................

Quorn Advert - 'Touch my food - Feel my fork!' - www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUR8t9tDcc

'Oxo Family' adverts starring Lynda Bellingham -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-WJHUO6ag

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZx4okYngUk

'Clark's Shoes' - Proper Little Madam - www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrwG9Ae7WBg

My current favourites are for Virgin Broadband - I can't wait to see how this 'love story' is going to pan out - www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzu2DHtWac

Oh I was hoping someone would mention that one. I stop and watch it whenever it’s on. What beautiful faces the two actors have. I must admit to having no awareness of what it was actually advertising. I love the way he says ‘hi’.

gt66 Thu 13-May-21 17:53:39

A favourite of mine from the 70's was the one for Vicks Sinex Spray.

The son says 'Oh Mum I can't.......

Mum goes to get the Vicks and says '...course you can Malcolm'!

effalump Thu 13-May-21 13:22:09

Old style - the Cadbury's ad with the gorilla playing the drums to "Something in the air tonight".

New style, the Heycar ad with Oliver Britten lip syncing. It's the only ad that make be sit up and listen these days.

Lilyflower Sun 09-May-21 20:25:02

Renault’s ‘ Shakin’ That Ass’ undoubtedly the best ad of all time. Editing, music, cuts, character, style, mise en scene. Top.

Magrithea Sun 09-May-21 14:26:06

When we first lived in Hong Kong British Caledonian (remember them?) were still flying and they had a great ad using the Beach Boys 'California Girls' - substituting Caledonian for California! Still sticks in the memory!

sazz1 Sat 08-May-21 14:36:38

Shake and vac
I loved that advert

Nannyknee Sat 08-May-21 08:51:27

I love the meerkat adverts so clever I really don’t get many of the new adverts. Of course the Levi advert

sparkly1000 Fri 07-May-21 19:24:40

Loved all the Beatie ones,. " You have an ology". With the wonderful Maureen Lipman.

Favourite at the moment is Lloyds bank, the beautiful black horse cantering alongside the child and runners. Magic.

elleks Fri 07-May-21 18:20:54

The Milk Marketing Board adverts "watch out, there's a Humphrey about". And I did like the Skoda advert where they built a car out of cake and sweets-I think to the tune of "my favourite things".

HurdyGurdy Fri 07-May-21 18:03:23

I loved this one for Nike, where the entire basketball arena plays musical chairs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNt2ETKrSQ

geekesse Fri 07-May-21 18:02:19

The Honda ‘Cog’ advert: youtu.be/FGngcQb_0qg

I’m astonished no-one has mentioned it yet.

DebKell29 Fri 07-May-21 17:58:41

Smash - with the funny aliens
British Gas - with the cat, dog and mouse cuddling up to the song "will you still love me tomorrow "
Kit Kat - with the pandas in the zoo
Cadbury Dairy Milk - the man in his office chair on hold on the phone dancing to "yes sir I can boogie"

Foxyferret Fri 07-May-21 17:57:10

Cadbury’s smash and the Guinness white horses. I really miss the jingles, does no one write these anymore? Now we just get pop music, classic songs being butchered to fit the time allowed or rap very loud and annoying.

cupcake1 Fri 07-May-21 17:54:29

Prudential (I think) with the famous phrase said in a brummie accent “we wanna be togever” DH and I say this to each other quite frequently these days!

Aepgirl Fri 07-May-21 17:44:14

I loved the BT ad ‘he’s got an ology’ - brilliant.

Foxglove77 Fri 07-May-21 17:08:14

I love the Lloyd's Bank Black horse adverts. Some great music too

grannybuy Fri 07-May-21 16:29:12

The John Lewis Christmas ad with Paloma Faith singing Never Tear us Apart.

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-May-21 16:20:50

NotAGran55

I can’t decide between the Diet Coke one or Levi one ??‍♀️....
guess I will just need to keep checkingsmile

Two days on and I'm still undecided..... wink

We've had some great adverts, haven't we? Apologies to all those who don't enjoy Christmas, but I look forward every year to the John Lewis festive offering. I think the Please, please, please let me get what I want one was my favourite.

lilydily9 Fri 07-May-21 16:07:48

1987 Volkswagen Golf GTI 'Changes' ad has always stayed with me. The woman leaves a house in a temper, throws away all her jewellery (ring, brooch, pearls) and her fur coat. She's about to drop her car keys down a drain then has second thoughts and drives away in her GTI. It was directed by David Bailey and the song 'Changes' fitted it perfectly. It's available to watch on youtube.

Keeper1 Fri 07-May-21 15:21:10

The ones I enjoyed were the adverts for Smiths where Nicholas Lyndhurst played each member of the family.

Glasgo Fri 07-May-21 15:09:22

Loved the old fashioned jingles.

‘You’ll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent’.
‘Blue, blue, blue, Esso Blue’.

I know showing my age!