Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Do we really want to watch people brush their teeth?

(67 Posts)
AcornFairy Sun 09-May-21 19:27:46

Does anyone else find the current trend to show characters on TV and film brushing their teeth - when there is absolutely no dental storyline - somewhat puzzling? Is this the thin end of the wedge when it comes to cameras in the bathroom?!

Joesoap Sat 15-May-21 13:43:30

I would hate to have side by side washbasins in our bathroom, its the one place I insist on privacy,and who wants to watch someone else brushing their teeth.
One thing I can stand,and it is standard in Sweden where we live, its people using tooth picks in a restaurant, particularly when I am still eating,its really disgusting, what a horrible habit.

Janetashbolt Thu 13-May-21 21:18:05

Have you seen the trailer for "breeders" seen from the back actor urinating in his bathroom whilst on the phone, doubly disgusting

Purplepixie Thu 13-May-21 13:33:13

Grannycool52 - I totally agree. Who wants to see men at urinals? Not me!

Grannycool52 Thu 13-May-21 13:30:53

I agree about most of the above - cleaning teeth and spitting out, going to the loo, vomiting, graphic sex. Also, when they show men (usually police officers!) standing at urinals, shaking then zipping their trousers up. I know these are normal activities but I don't feel the need to watch them!

Purplepixie Thu 13-May-21 13:06:57

I really dont like it either. Also I hate it when people take a bite of food and attempt to hold a conversation with their mouths full. My mam always told me it was rude.

effalump Thu 13-May-21 13:04:07

It's probably because the people who write these shows actually can't come up with enough interesting dialogue to fill the allotted time. It's a bit like comedians who swear every other word. Take out the profanitiess and their act would be about 10 minutes long instead of an hour.

nipsmum Wed 12-May-21 10:22:25

I am not very observant, its not something I've noticed. Maybe I watch the wrong programmes.???

Violettham Wed 12-May-21 10:20:24

I agree also hate seeing people on toilets and having sex much prefer the old idea of going into the bedroom and shutting the door. I think it degrades the whole act of love.

Summerfly Wed 12-May-21 09:38:41

Hate the advert where the woman is brushing her teeth and spits into the sink showing blood. Disgusting. I rang the complaints line and expressed my concern. If there’s just the two of us, we have a tray on our laps at teatime. Having to watch that whilst eating puts me right off!
I think it’s worked because I haven’t seen it since.

Shropshirelass Wed 12-May-21 09:22:08

No, I don’t want to see it either. I too would hate side by side wash basins, I like absolute privacy when doing my ablutions!

MerylStreep Tue 11-May-21 22:29:38

Theoddbird
I wonder if there is anybody on this thread who has posted on the boring thread.
If so, I wonder if they see themselves ?

Theoddbird Tue 11-May-21 22:22:08

I had to laugh at this post. Cleaning teeth is part of life. Nowt wrong with it. We all do it every day. For goodness sake...if you are going to post something, make it more interesting...hahahaha

123kitty Tue 11-May-21 19:19:48

I was shown round a house with two loos in the bathroom, now that really is yuk - no one wasn't a bidet.

Nanananana1 Tue 11-May-21 17:04:31

Oh yes the teeth brushing, washing, showering, scrubbing and too-close close-ups!

The sound of any scrubbing brushes (includes toothbrush) makes me get goose-bumps and shivers, like some people do when they hear nails on a blackboard

For a reason I can't fathom I always have to look away when TV programmes show men having a shave, with foam etc. All that scraping and face stretching makes me shudder!

tricia12 Tue 11-May-21 16:46:31

turn tele over every time mouthwash advert comes on .i find it disgusting .

Coco51 Tue 11-May-21 15:38:28

DaisyendI
that is worthy of a Dr Seuss line

Coco51 Tue 11-May-21 15:35:59

Yes. And I really, really hate the sex on the kitchen counter cliche. It has been so overdone.
(Just imagine they’ll be preparing food there later!!!)

Greciangirl Tue 11-May-21 14:49:11

I have also heard that dentists advocate not rinsing one’s mouth out after brushing. It’s a fairly new thing, I think.

Personally, I never feel fresh if I don’t rinse afterwards.

Rosina Tue 11-May-21 14:43:08

The vomiting is a particular hate - why do we need to see mouthfulls of coloured make up department stuff when it could be done so more discreetly? I also really dislike the tonsil tennis type of kisses - and yes, the poor table manners with cutlery waving about, and people eating with mouths open. I also wonder why most people don't eat the food they have ordered - there is usually a steaming row and one person storms off, leaving the food untouched. Intolerant type, aren't I? hmm

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Tue 11-May-21 14:42:16

I drives me crazy. I have to look away every time.

threexnanny Tue 11-May-21 14:37:45

During 'In the Pursuit of Love' on Sunday it did seem a bit too much when the two girls had relieved themselves in neighbouring cubicles we had to see Lily James wiping herself too.

No they did not wash their hands after!

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 11-May-21 14:30:27

Strange thing to have to watch! What'll be next I'm wondering!!!!!

Catlover123 Tue 11-May-21 14:02:28

what's worse is when they show people on the loo!!!!!

springishere Tue 11-May-21 12:59:52

I hate seeing people putting food into their mouths and chewing with their mouths open. Very bad manners.

Grandmabeach Tue 11-May-21 12:49:33

Littleannie

Even worse is when they show people vomiting!

Especially if it is an evening when you have decided to have supper on a tray in front of the TV!