Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

bbc1 9pm In pursuit of love.

(237 Posts)
lemsip Sun 09-May-21 21:06:37

TV tonight: Lily James and Dominic West star in The Pursuit of Love .......... Emily Mortimer's adaptation of Nancy Mitford's tale of love and passion between the wars begins.

BigBertha1 Sun 09-May-21 22:24:36

That was awful and I was so looking forward to it. The music was appalling.

ginny Sun 09-May-21 22:25:43

Very disappointed. It just didn’t catch my attention at all. I persevere for 40 minutes and then went off to reads book.

Lucca Sun 09-May-21 22:28:01

Alegrias1

Oh. I enjoyed it ?

So did I ! I liked the bonkers -ness of it and the modern music. Better than say re-hashing a standard production.

grannyrebel7 Sun 09-May-21 22:28:51

Have recorded it. Don't know whether to bother watching it now. Jaxjacky my DH is not allowed to breathe when Call the Midwife is on. I actually prefer him to be out of the room!

trisher Sun 09-May-21 22:33:58

Well I enjoyed it. It was funny and touching, It used today's music like most TV productions now. Dominic West was great as Uncle Matthew. And the hats and costumes were lovely. I so wanted the one she wore to lunch.

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 09-May-21 22:48:02

I lasted 15 minutes. What a complete load of rubbish!

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-May-21 22:51:36

I really liked it! With the modern music and stylish production it had a bit of a Peaky Blinders vibe. Without the threat and violence. smile

I haven’t read the book though, so there’s nothing to spoil for me.

merlotgran Sun 09-May-21 23:14:39

I enjoyed it and so did DD. I like the trend for slightly wacky adaptations of classic novels. The straight, true to the original versions have been done so something completely different is more entertaining.

Loved the music.

Mouseybrown60 Sun 09-May-21 23:18:10

Absolutely loved all of it, the acting, the music, the hats and costumes. It was exuberant so lively and full of humour. Looking forward to the next episode!

Doodledog Sun 09-May-21 23:24:37

I loved it too?.

It was camp old nonsense, but that’s what was good about it.

I loved the music and costumes, and the daftness. I’m looking forward to the rest.

silverlining48 Sun 09-May-21 23:25:34

I tried to like it but didn’t manage very well. Don’t think I will watch the next episode...

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 23:32:15

Please look out for the black whippets. They had diamond collars and one of them has since had puppies and one of them has been named Diamanté. They’re called Swift and Scarlet.

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 23:36:06

I said to my dog you’ve missed it and she woke up and looked out of the window thinking she’d missed seeing the deer or something exciting...

Namsnanny Mon 10-May-21 00:27:04

But its not camp and daft enough Doodlebug||
Nancy Mitfords observations and wit just dont shine through.

I like the use of modern music. The juxtaposition is hard to pull off though, and I think they missed here also.
Something punk-y or excessive over the top was needed. To underline the strangeness of some of the situations the characters found themselves in. Or at least how some of them would have felt.

Namsnanny Mon 10-May-21 00:28:28

I saw them Maybee70 They suited the collars I thought.

MayBee70 Mon 10-May-21 01:09:18

There’s more of them in episode 2. On sofas I believe which is the whippets natural habitat.

FannyCornforth Mon 10-May-21 03:16:28

MayBee how exciting!
What a brilliant claim to fame!
Whippets are gorgeous dogs, I like them even more than greyhounds, which is saying something!
What is your whippet"s personality like?
I've heard that they are very loyal

Ellianne Mon 10-May-21 07:00:23

Move over whippets. The goldie was the star!

I can't believe that it did nothing for me, so have decided to try again next episode. The cast itself is a good mix of actors.

tiredoldwoman Mon 10-May-21 07:03:54

I've just watched it and loved it ! The beautiful house and girls and laugh out loud moments . I remember when I got married I hid in the garden shed as I felt 'lost' too !
Might binge watch the rest of it !

TerriBull Mon 10-May-21 07:49:24

When the first comments were posted, I thought "am I alone in liking this?" but I see this morning many more have enjoyed it. It's definitely a bit manic so I can well understand its Marmite appeal. I was ready for something new on Sunday evenings, personally I was fed up with the interminable speculation of who "H" was in the end I didn't care!

I recently listened to an audio book about the Mitford sisters, The Pursuit of Love was mentioned quite a bit, clearly Nancy drew on her own family background for inspiration. Haven't read the book, wish I had now.

Aveline Mon 10-May-21 08:21:34

If you haven't read the books you'll have no idea how disappointing this production is.

Greyduster Mon 10-May-21 08:25:08

I liked its rather larger than life moments. Having read the late Duchess of Devonshire’s autobiography you can see where Nancy Mitford got her inspiration from.

Lillie Mon 10-May-21 08:30:15

To me it was exagerated and shallow.

Puzzler61 Mon 10-May-21 08:31:55

I haven’t read the books, so I wasn’t disappointed.
I really enjoyed the quirkiness of it. I thought there was a bit of a “Gentleman Jack” style production about it.
Gorgeous house and interesting costumes (made 18 year old girls look middle aged at times).

merlotgran Mon 10-May-21 08:33:54

Aveline

If you haven't read the books you'll have no idea how disappointing this production is.

Not true.