Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ben Fogle New life in the wilds.

(4 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 30-Jul-21 01:59:37

Crikey. Watched another one today in which a woman who lived on her own island didn’t like her two daughters mixing with other children because when they did they would start acting like them.ie acting like children.

MayBee70 Wed 19-May-21 20:43:57

I just found her very selfish, especially as her parents had sold their home to fund her lifestyle. She was admirable in many ways, and very talented. But wasn’t as independent as she made herself out to be. The sort of person that I would have referred to in my hippie days as a freeloader. Over the years I’ve read lots of books about people becoming self sufficient. Something I always wanted to do which is crazy as I’m totally impractical and anything I try to grow dies. I think Ben found it difficult to find things to say to praise rather than criticise her. I once saw my friends daughter begging in town but knew she had a loving family. Which seemed wrong because there are so many people that end up in that position through no fault of their own that it seems wrong to deliberately choose it as a lifestyle. I don’t usually find myself critical of the people in the series so last nights programme confused me.

Redhead56 Wed 19-May-21 20:14:40

I have really enjoyed this series with Ben Fogle I think a few of the characters he has met have been rather unique. I think that sort of lifestyle isn't for everyone. It's the lifestyle she has chosen for herself at a young age but now she has a child to consider. I don't think it's bad for her son but he is not mixing with other children and playing games. He is isolated and will probably grow up without friends living a hermit type of lifestyle.

MayBee70 Tue 18-May-21 23:39:15

Wondered if anyone had watched tonight’s programme about the young woman living in Sweden. I’m not sure what to think of it and am feeling that my view of her lifestyle is a bit mean spirited.