Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great British Photography Challenge. Monday 21.00 BBC4

(15 Posts)
ixion Mon 24-May-21 22:32:03

Did anyone else watch this tonight, the first of a four-part series?
I have no skills in photography at all, nor desire to excel in this field, but what a lovely programme! Gentle, informative, expert-led. Keen amateurs being guided and judged on different themes (including smartphones).
Do give it a go!

ixion Mon 24-May-21 22:33:53

Sorry, tonight is MONDAY...
Will ask mods to amend the thread title asap.

ixion Mon 24-May-21 22:51:39

Thank you Mods!
All sorted?

Ellianne Mon 24-May-21 23:29:49

Thank you. I will try to catch this on iplayer.

MayBee70 Mon 24-May-21 23:47:27

Missed it as I was watching Ch4 tonight. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll watch it on catchup.

Sarnia Tue 25-May-21 13:35:05

I have recorded it. I like all these types of programmes, probably because I cannot, sew, throw clay or make jewellery.

Namsnanny Tue 25-May-21 13:38:34

I'm looking forward to catching up with it, so I'm glad you reminded me ixionsmile

Did anyone see the photography competition on sky?

Ilovecheese Tue 25-May-21 14:10:30

I watched and enjoyed it.
I think the badger skull was my favourite.
I thought Anna Friel was very patient.

Luckygirl Tue 25-May-21 14:16:09

I used to work as a photographer so definitely watched it! I was surprised at some of the basic errors the photographers made, but their advisors were onto it straight away and you could see they were listening.

What I LOVED about it was that no-one was sent home (as in so many similar programmes) but the participants and we will get the opportunity to learn and progress - that is a much more positive way to make a programme......great!

MayBee70 Wed 26-May-21 10:57:12

Watched it last night. Loved it. Does anyone think it unfair that the brief for the Brighton photo was ‘beach’ but they were criticised for taking a photo of the beach? Had it been ‘Brighton Beach’ they could have taken photos of things away from the beach. I didn’t realise Chris Packham was such a good photographer. I’m so glad there isn’t an elimination at the end cause I’m tired of the hesitation/drum roll before they announce who is going to leave.

Luckygirl Wed 26-May-21 15:46:37

I so agree about the Brighton brief - it was ambiguous. They all went for the actual beach because they thought that was what he wanted.

ixion Mon 31-May-21 08:45:21

Just popping in to remind anyone who may be interested that this is on tonight. Part 2.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 11:04:54

Thanks ixion. I see there’s a similar programme on Sky Arts at 8 pm on Tuesdays as well.

chelseababy Thu 03-Jun-21 14:29:21

The Sky Arts one has a very "nasty" member of the judging panel. Good entertainment though and contestants from various European countries.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:47:21

I missed it on Tuesday and it doesn’t seem to be repeated. Didn’t find the BBC one as interesting this week as I’m not all that keen on fashion photography. Must watch it again though, as I missed a bit in the middle.