Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Colston Statue : What Next?

(12 Posts)
varian Thu 03-Jun-21 16:36:06

Tonight on The One Show (BBC 1 at 7pm) the exhibition at the M Shed (one of Bristol City's museums which is situsted by the Harbourside) will be featured.

The exhibition -The Colston statue: What next? will run from tomorrow 4th June until 5th September and has been designed as a consultation exercise to gather the views of the Bristol public.

It will feature the reclining statue of Edward Colston, which was toppled into the Harbourside, a selection of placards left by protestors and a history of slavery and its connection with Colston and other wealthy Bristolians.

www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/m-shed/whats-on/the-colston-statue-what-next/

Smileless2012 Thu 03-Jun-21 16:39:23

I'm glad that the views of the residents of Bristol are being sought with regard to the future of the statue.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 17:55:18

The statue of Edward Colston in Bristol’s city centre was pulled down from its plinth and thrown into the harbour during a Black Lives Matters march in June 2020. Several days later, Bristol City Council retrieved it.

Colston was one of the wealthiest and later most infamous names associated with the transatlantic traffic of enslaved African people to the Americas. The statue will go on display at M Shed from June 2021.

Join members of the museum’s project team who have been involved in creating this display, as they talk about how it began, what it will contain and what it is aiming to achieve.

This free, online talk will be held over Zoom. Please book your place below. Details of how to join the session will be in your registration email. Please check your spam folder if the email does not arrive. Bookings close at 2pm on Tuesday 8 June.

www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/m-shed/whats-on/the-colston-statue-what-next-developing-the-museum-display/

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 18:02:37

I'm just sick of it all !

Talullah Thu 03-Jun-21 18:06:43

I think that sounds rather interesting. Thanks, varian.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 20:16:19

The item about the Edward Colston statue and the exhibition at the M-Shed was the first item on tonight's "The One Show". If you missed it you can catch it on iplayer-

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wp3p/the-one-show-03062021

Sarnia Fri 04-Jun-21 18:22:50

There is an interesting article in the paper today about the statue. It's a good idea to ask the people of Bristol about it's future. Hopefully they will get a well balanced response.

Doodledog Fri 04-Jun-21 18:29:50

I didn't see The One Show, but I will catch the clip on iPlayer - thanks for the link, varian.

GillT57 Fri 04-Jun-21 18:30:01

Yes, the people of Bristol are the right ones to be consulted about the future of this statue, the exhibition sounds very interesting, I shall have a read of it. Thank you.

varian Tue 08-Jun-21 18:40:54

'Save our Statues' campaigners who want the Edward Colston statue reinstalled on its plinth block-book tickets to museum in a bid to stop people from visiting

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9659487/Campaigners-want-Edward-Colston-statue-reinstalled-block-book-tickets-stop-people-visiting.htm

These people are against the aim of the exhibition which is to consult the people of Bristol about the future of the statue. They are insisting that it must be reinstated as it was without any consultation.

Fortunately their childish ploy of block booking tickets will not work as museum staff will allow entry to whoever turns upt when there is enough safe space.

Redhead56 Tue 08-Jun-21 18:50:20

If they wanted to rid Liverpool of statues building etc with regard to the slave trade. Liverpool would look like a bomb site you can’t erase history but you can learn from it.

dolphindaisy Tue 08-Jun-21 19:56:28

I'm not the least bit interested in statues, most people don't take any notice of them and a little boy once told me "they are only there for the birds to poop on" (only he didn't say poop). We can't change what happened in the past but I think we should put more energy into fighting modern day slavery, it's going on up and down the country from young girls forced into being sex workers to the Chinese cockle pickers who drowned in Morecombe Bay.