Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Archers

(202 Posts)
Rosycheeks Thu 22-Jul-21 18:34:00

I just heard yesterdays episode on bbc sounds and i was getting really annoyed.
I know its not real life but the Alice story line is really irritating me.
Fallon interfering, Alice like a spoilt brat. Chris getting all worked up. I hope Alice does leave and Chris says good riddence to her and Fallon keeps her big nose out of other peoples affairs. Get back to Tracy and Gazzer and everybody else. The Alice alcoholic story is dragging on now imho.
Sorry if this upsets anybody.

DaisyAnne Fri 22-Apr-22 09:00:54

Thank you grumppa. I do worry about the character and the actor. They use her sparingly these days but she really brings another dimension to the stories she's in.

grumppa Thu 21-Apr-22 21:57:40

DaisyAnne, according to the BBC Peggy Woolley will be 98 in November, a mere child compared with June Spencer.

eGJ Thu 21-Apr-22 20:34:10

I mean Grey Gables being sold and all those redundancies

Farzanah Tue 19-Apr-22 19:57:12

Is she new? She sounds different.

eGJ Tue 19-Apr-22 19:14:51

Well, didn’t see that coming! Did any of you?

garnet25 Mon 18-Apr-22 15:04:02

I don't think it is a new Kathy, and I hope she stays.

DaisyAnne Mon 18-Apr-22 14:22:56

I love the Archers' writers.

Kathy: You know me. I'm good at keeping stum.

A new Kathy - I wonder where that's going to go.

DaisyAnne Wed 30-Mar-22 20:20:36

Farzanah

Great analysis DaisyAnne and pretty accurate I think. I didn’t realise that Peggy is almost 103, and she’s been included regularly lately. Her character seems to have softened, and her voice doesn’t sound feeble at all. Amazing.

"Peggy" isn't Farzanah. The actress is, amazingly. I tried to find out how old Peggy is meant to be but can't, I'm afraid.

chelseababy Wed 30-Mar-22 17:36:13

grandmaseadragon I used to be an Archers Addict! We both had sweatshirts with The Bull Ambridge on. People kept telling us the C of Cambridge was missing!

Farzanah Wed 16-Mar-22 18:31:03

Great analysis DaisyAnne and pretty accurate I think. I didn’t realise that Peggy is almost 103, and she’s been included regularly lately. Her character seems to have softened, and her voice doesn’t sound feeble at all. Amazing.

DaisyAnne Wed 16-Mar-22 13:29:30

June Spencer (Peggy) will be 103 in June this year by my calculations. I find that amazing. She has created such a rounded character although it has changed over the years as Peggy's life changed.

Joy is lonely. The lonely are often irritating. I find her a believable (if sad) character.

Blake seemed to have been brought back to show just how brainwashed 'modern slaves' can be. It also seemed to allow Kirsty to put Philip behind her. What I wondered was why the need to hurry that forward. Is it because she and Roy will eventually get together? It would explain the silly fish story as they bond over the nonsense.

It would be good to hear about social workers, health visitors and district nurses. It could allow them to point out the lack of public transport the cost of travel, etc. but I wonder if that would be more likely to make people doing these jobs move out of the village. The 'Archers' was and still is about farming. That is going to be very interesting as our own economic problems unravel.

Falon. Mmm. Not sure how well that character is being drawn. She has shown she has strong views in the past though. The bit I found unbelievable is that she actually saw herself as Amy's friend too. Jealousy perhaps? Or perhaps a storyline yet to be played out and offering a trigger (Falon telling Alice) for Alice to go back on the drink ...

Chris and Amy didn't seem like a natural couple to me. Mind you, neither did Chris and Alice. I know the word annoys some but Chris and Alice's relationship seemed based on sexual attraction and little else. Amy came back to the village suffering from burn-out so Falon could do considerable damage to both Amy and Alice.

Nannarose Wed 16-Mar-22 12:58:52

I thought they might work up a storyline in which Alice trains as a plumber (can't remember one of those in Ambridge either, but will stand corrected)

Iam64 Wed 16-Mar-22 12:28:00

I’m unsympathetic to Alice wanting to assume the full time carer role. She hasn’t been sober long enough to risk changing the current arrangements.

GrandmaSeaDragon Wed 16-Mar-22 09:13:07

Did anyone else used to be an “Archers Addict”, still got the badge somewhere. Given up listening anymore because all the younger characters sounded the same and I couldn’t tell one from the other!

Peartree Wed 16-Mar-22 08:57:06

What was all that about a goldfish jumping out of its bowl and the drama of picking it up to put it back. Roy is a total dipstick. Oh and now Alice wants full custody of Martha. Thats going to end in tears or vodka.

Peartree Fri 11-Mar-22 10:43:48

I dont think anyone in Ambridge got covid they were lucky. I dont think anyone got even a cold or flu.

Galaxy Fri 11-Mar-22 10:39:55

An off screen relation of Debbies died from it, no one in Ambeidge though.

merlotgran Fri 11-Mar-22 09:38:07

Did anyone in Ambridge get Covid?

Peartree Thu 10-Mar-22 16:21:09

Blake was his name. Hes gone now. Oh I had forgotten about Joy she was a bit annoying. I do like Leonard though such a kind soul and I can picture the actor too.

Galaxy Thu 10-Mar-22 15:07:42

Aaargh I have forgotten his name, it was one of the boys/men who were abused by Phillip.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Mar-22 14:41:20

I can’t remember, but it wasn’t Rob.

Farzanah Thu 10-Mar-22 14:29:46

Yes they drop a storyline, perhaps when an actor isn’t available for a while, and then pick it up months/years later.
Look how long they’ve kept Debbie in Hungary.
I thought the dreaded Rob was going to surface again a few months ago when Helen was getting anxious about someone in the garden, watching the house. I can’t remember how that resolved.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Mar-22 09:54:14

Oh yes Joy, the slightly irritating with a back story (estrangement with dd?) hasn’t been around. Wondered if she might be a second Linda Snell type character.

Galaxy Thu 10-Mar-22 09:04:56

I agree I wasnt particularly keen on Tracey but I have warmed to her over the last year. The Archers are good at developing characters although they dont seem to have achieved it with Hannah. Oh and what has happened to Joy?

silverlining48 Thu 10-Mar-22 09:01:38

The dementia journey that Jack Woolley was almost real time, matching my mums similar descent and that of Helen and Rob and coercion was also a slow burn and will have highlighted that problem.
These latest stories are poor and do the programme no favours.
Tracy and Jazza and the hotel bedroom was close to ridiculous, which is a pity as both are good characters,