Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

(Prince) George’s World

(126 Posts)
MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 09:45:12

A new animated series about the Royal family portrays Prince George as a scathing commentator on palace life. The Prince, which will air on the US streaming service HBO Max, has a cast that includes Orlando Bloom as the Duke of Sussex and Frances de la Tour as the Queen. It is based on an Instagram run by Gary Janetti, a writer for Family Guy and Will & Grace

Hmm- not at all sure about this.
I suspect Frances de la Tour (whom I have always admired up to now) will be waving goodbye to any OBE/CBE/Damehoods in future Honours lists.
It does seem to be crass to make a cartoon series about living people and (maybe I am being a wee bit patriotic here) about our Royal Family who for the most part are held in high respect both at hone and abroad ( OK maybe not ALL of them!) .

25Avalon Fri 30-Jul-21 14:24:52

As a safeguarding officer this programme strikes me as abuse. An 8 year old should be protected not bullied and ridiculed. At best it is in very poor taste.

Blossoming Fri 30-Jul-21 14:26:21

Exactly Namsnanny. It shouldn’t even be a thing.

eazybee Fri 30-Jul-21 14:27:24

Meghan, Trump et al are adults and responsible for their own actions; Prince George is a child, and to use him as the mouthpiece, to be portrayed as a scathing commentator on palace life, is crass.

But for some, any method of attack on the Royal Family is justifiable.

Anniebach Fri 30-Jul-21 14:55:56

How can anyone excuse this abuse of a child.

Jabberwok Fri 30-Jul-21 15:23:04

It is abuse of all three children, particularly Prince George. Surely this is illegal?

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 15:27:04

Galaxy

We mock Trump mercilessly.

But children?

Isn't there something very sick and distasteful about mocking real children?

I thought we were trying to be a better society than mocking certain sectors of society and children surely should come into the category.

Namsnanny Fri 30-Jul-21 15:27:27

If it was illegal, wouldn't his parents try to stop it airing?
Or is it because it's an American production?

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 15:29:01

Blossoming

I think if any of George’s school friends see it he may well be subjected to ridicule or bullying. I realise it’s aimed at an adult audience but it won’t stop any 8 year old with a tablet or ‘phone finding and sharing it. That’s my main concern.

Luckily Blossoming, as far as school friends, and their parents, are concerned I think they will all find it utterly ridiculous. George's school in Battersea is nothing like that huge place set in acres shown in the trailer. The children at London prep schools are categorically nothing like those portrayed here, and they certainly don't travel by helicopter for play dates! As the Head of George's school I would just ignore the whole thing and rise above.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 15:39:15

I have just spoken with someone very knowledgeable who says the school would be well within their rights to seek legal advice about the portrayal of the young pupils dressed in that particular school's uniform.
On the other hand you have to weigh up whether it's just best not to react.

Namsnanny Fri 30-Jul-21 15:41:06

How on earth does a parent protect their child from something like this?

Currently the Johnsons and the Sussexs (any others?) prevent the press from publishing photos of their children.

Which gives an indication of the current thinking by high profile parents, of how damaging they think focusing press attention on their children can be for them.

Against this background this program has been launched.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Jul-21 15:49:57

That’s so naive ellianne don’t you realise kids will talk or take the micky etc look at all the bullying that goes on on Instagram etc, to say just ignore it is a very unhelpful Kids won’t ignore it
I have no great feelings for the Royal Family but this seems wrong on all counts
I can’t stand American programmes especially the so called funny ones I don’t have the same sense of humour Dislike intensely The Simpsons and other similar ones so I wouldn’t watch anyway but I think it’s wrong full stop and shouldn’t be shown or made…. nasty

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 15:56:47

Bluebelle, with respect, but as an ex Headmistress myself, you are wrong to call me naive in this instance. I think you misunderstood. I did not say to just ignore any bullying behaviour from other pupils in the school. Certainly not!
I did say, I would ignore the programme and its message, "the whole thing."

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 16:17:55

Ellianne

I have just spoken with someone very knowledgeable who says the school would be well within their rights to seek legal advice about the portrayal of the young pupils dressed in that particular school's uniform.
On the other hand you have to weigh up whether it's just best not to react.

That uniform is pretty normal to me, could be any school's, could be my GCs except they have ties.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 16:24:21

Pretty close, I'd say. Just an observation.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 16:27:26

Cartoon

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 16:37:02

Like this one, or this one or..........

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 16:43:04

Nope. My images are far closer than yours, unless my eyes deceive me.

Rosie51 Fri 30-Jul-21 16:50:36

The cartoon uniform even matches pale blue open necked shirt.

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 16:57:59

Pale blue open necked shirts are common as school uniform My DSs all wore them and the jumper with neck stripes and a badge is similar to many on the internet. It isn't identifiable or even unusual. So hardly a matter for legal action.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 17:02:59

I think the playground banter of the last few comments is lost on you trisher!

Rosie51 Fri 30-Jul-21 17:05:43

Round here all school shirts are white (usually) or very occasionally grey. Can't think of one school, either primary or secondary, that has blue open necked. Must vary across the country. I agree I don't think there would be grounds for legal action but it quite clearly is supposed to be George's school uniform. Whatever, the cartoon's a nasty, vile abuse of a child. I wonder if they plan to feature Archie and Lilibet.

Galaxy Fri 30-Jul-21 17:06:43

I wonder what the legal guidelines for portrayal of children in fiction are, I have listened to a number of podcasts/dramas about children who have been involved in crimes, traumatic incidents. They or their guardians cant have given permission for those portrayals.

grannyactivist Fri 30-Jul-21 17:07:02

This is wrong.

It’s not satire when the person being parodied is an 8 year old, it’s bullying. If that was my child or grandchild I would be deeply concerned about how such a show might affect his self-esteem.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 17:14:01

grannyactivist

This is wrong.

It’s not satire when the person being parodied is an 8 year old, it’s bullying. If that was my child or grandchild I would be deeply concerned about how such a show might affect his self-esteem.

I agree Grannyactivist especially when the protagonist's name is in the title of the programme. Uniforms aside, it is hardly difficult to miss who the bullying might upset the most.

Blossoming Fri 30-Jul-21 17:16:30

Ellianne “posh” children at “posh” schools are just as capable of sneaking and bullying as we lesser beings.