Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Neil Oliver on GB News

(74 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 03-Aug-21 09:50:17

I have a been a Neil Oliver fan for some time, but no longer. I’m disgusted by his comments comparing the pandemic to WW2 and the Battle of Britain. Anti maskers/anti vaxxers are not heroic freedom fighters. What an insult to those who fought, suffered and died.

Billy Bragg puts it so well in this article.

tinyurl.com/2wb8bf4p

MerylStreep Thu 12-Aug-21 17:30:26

For those of you who view GB News as the spawn of the devil you’ve missed a very insightful view of the NHS from Lord Winston and 2 practicing GPs.

Galaxy Thu 12-Aug-21 16:48:04

In the same vein I am entitled to say that I find the use of pearl clutching etc deeply unpleasant when talking about people who have different views about things.

Blossoming Thu 12-Aug-21 16:20:00

Well, this certainly ran far, far away from my original post! I know some of you like to automatically disagree with anything I post but I prefer it if you don’t put words in my mouth. To recap:

1. I believe in free speech. Oliver is entitled to his views and I am entitled to disagree with them.
2. What I disliked was his revolting comparison to the actions fought, risks taken and lives lost in the Battle of Britain. I was not born until some years after WW2 ended and I’m grateful I haven’t had to face that situation. Once again, I am entitled to dislike his words and I’m entitled to say so.
3..My post did not comment on the ethics, intellectual level or quality of the GB News channel. Nor did it contain any mention of Farage so any UKIP supporters needn’t attack me.

Untwist your knickers ladies and unclutch those pearls.

Keep calm and carry on grin

FannyCornforth Thu 12-Aug-21 15:42:34

When I said on the previous GBNews thread that I thought that Neil had gone for good I was scoffed at.
No one ‘goes on holiday’ two weeks into their own new venture.
He’s made a right pig’s ear of it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Aug-21 15:27:22

Neil gone.

GBNews to become full blown Fox News

lemongrove Tue 10-Aug-21 22:20:34

Galaxy

I dont think it is actually. It's one of the problems we face at the moment. Dividing people into tribes, disliking everything that someone says because we disagree on one issue. Haranguing people because they liked a tweet of someone we dont approve. I like Andew Doyle, he is bright and has interesting things to say, I disagree with him profoundly on Brexit, hes on GB news, I am not going to stop listening to him because I loathe Farage and Fox. I have never watched Strictlygrin

I agree with all of the above.
I neither like or dislike Oliver ( or ...more importantly) what he says.It’s his view/ opinion which he is perfectly entitled to.
There are many interesting discussions on GB news, and no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater by not watching any of it because you dislike the views of one or two people on it.

MerylStreep Mon 09-Aug-21 11:26:24

Galaxy
I’m a fan of Andrew Doyle. What I like about him besides his wonderful humour is that he never gets angry, he’s not judgemental, just says it like it is.

FannyCornforth Mon 09-Aug-21 11:17:19

Galaxy I’ve noticed that ‘tribe’ thing, and even on here; some people think that if you believe this that it’s a given that you believe that.
It’s a very lazy way of thinking really, you have all your beliefs all laid out for you. No critical thinking required

Namsnanny Sun 08-Aug-21 16:07:18

Thank you Galaxy

Namsnanny Sun 08-Aug-21 16:06:24

Galaxy

I dont think it is actually. It's one of the problems we face at the moment. Dividing people into tribes, disliking everything that someone says because we disagree on one issue. Haranguing people because they liked a tweet of someone we dont approve. I like Andew Doyle, he is bright and has interesting things to say, I disagree with him profoundly on Brexit, hes on GB news, I am not going to stop listening to him because I loathe Farage and Fox. I have never watched Strictlygrin

I agree, it is a very big problem.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Aug-21 14:52:55

Got to admit I ve never heard of him doesn’t seem like I ve missed much ??

Alegrias1 Sun 08-Aug-21 14:49:35

BTW - he didn't mention vaccinating children.

Bit confused there, are we?

www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19486321.anger-scots-gb-newss-neil-oliver-says-cheerfully-risk-catching-covid-name-freedom/

Alegrias1 Sun 08-Aug-21 14:44:52

Stop being so insulting and assuming you know what I understand and what I don't.

You think Oliver was being clever and using hyperbole to make a point? You don't think he was appealing to the baser ideas of the audience he was addressing and reinforcing the falsehood that they are the victims?

Aye, right.

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 14:42:44

FannyCornforth

Baggs Clarkson is just such a brilliant writer.

Certainly good for a laugh, FC ?

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 14:42:04

Here's someone else, in a completely non-inflammatory way, making the same don't give covid vaccines to kids argument that NO is making.

I didn't go looking for it, btw. It came up on my Twitter feed from who knows where, certainly not from anyone I follow, as sometimes happens.

Photo shows who is speaking.

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 14:37:55

He stopped short of asking them to storm the seat of government. Just.

Hahahahahahaha! Now who's using inflammatory language?

You really don't get hyperbole.

FannyCornforth Sun 08-Aug-21 14:31:10

Baggs Clarkson is just such a brilliant writer.

Alegrias1 Sun 08-Aug-21 14:21:43

I quote Mr Oliver: "There's another Battle of Britain being fought now. It is being fought by a minority, outgunned and shouted down, by those who would accept freedom handed to them by MPs on condition they do as they are told. That's not freedom, that is tyranny. And I for one will not live under that yoke.

As I have done all my life, I salute the few. I hope to see you on the other side."

He stopped short of asking them to storm the seat of government. Just.

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 14:17:06

On the subject of hyperbole, I can recommend Jeremy Clarkson's article in today's Sunday Times. It's a perfect example of the 'genre' if one can get past one's dislike of the man ?

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 14:14:21

Tell me if I'm mistaken (I'm sure someone will wink ), but I don't think expressing concern about giving a new vaccine to children who are not highly at risk from the disease it is to help with and whose long term effects cannoy be known for quite some years, is "inflammatory language".

There was a discussion a while ago on GN about whether one would let one's kids be part of a study that wanted to test the efficacy of already well understood and used vaccines but in combination rather than individually. Quite a number of GN-ers, possibly the majority but I'm not sure about that without seeing the thread again, said absolutely not. Yet here was a much safer proposition as far as knowledge of insidious effects was concerned.

As it happens one of my daughters, as a baby, did take part in such a trial. It was to test the take-up of the meningitis vaccine when it was delivered alongside others. The Men-C vaccine itself was already thoroughly tested as to side effects, as were the others it was to be given with concurrently.

As I hear it, NO's argument and vehemence about his own kids not having a covid vaccine is not because he's an anti-vaxxer but because of the unknowns about the long-term effects on children. I get that. I don't know how I would feel about it if I still had kids. It's quite different from the scenario described above.

Also, one of the reasons given for injecting kids with a covid vaccine is that it might protect others. Many people think that the primary (possibly only ) reason kids have had vaccines so far is for their own protection and they worry about whether giving kids a long-term untested vaccine to protect others is even ethical.

Alegrias1 Sun 08-Aug-21 14:00:42

Why did you mention it then?

Because that's what he is confused

This does come across to me, whether it should or not, as a negative remark that implies self-publicising is something 'nice' people (or people one likes) don't do.

Like I said, you're reading a lot into a very short post....

He's a self publicist that has been very good at getting us all to talk about him. In addition, and in an unrelated way, he is a twonk.

Baggs Sun 08-Aug-21 13:55:23

Baggs. Being a self publicist is not a fault, I didn't say or imply it

Why did you mention it then?

Well I understood that Oliver is a self-publicist trying to get ratings for his show
This does come across to me, whether it should or not, as a negative remark that implies self-publicising is something 'nice' people (or people one likes) don't do.

GillT57 Sun 08-Aug-21 13:48:30

FannyCornforth

The Fox & Farage. ?
Now that’s a public house to avoid

It would be all beer, with 'something for the little ladies' maybe a Babycham.

Big D peanuts behind the bar to give the purchaser a thrill as every bag ripped off exposes more of the pneumatic breasts

Everyone able to smoke inside the bar

Barmaids to be grateful for the attention of the beer breathed lotharios attention

Having one for the road before you jump in the car to drive home for lunch cooked by the missus. None of this drink driving nampy pamby Health and Safety gone mad nonsense.

Alegrias1 Sun 08-Aug-21 13:37:20

And Farage blaming the EU for his disaaastrous foxtrot grin

FannyCornforth Sun 08-Aug-21 13:36:58

The Fox & Farage. ?
Now that’s a public house to avoid