Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Back in Time for School

(18 Posts)
Callistemon Mon 18-Oct-21 15:46:45

Were the participants from drama school?
Doodledog they are definitely playing to the camera

It may be the way they interact now, but wouldn't have been in the 19th century
Nor in the 1950s either.
They are so much more confident than we were, perhaps on the verge of insolence towards the teachers.
The 1960s will be interesting to see how they behave and interact.

Callistemon Mon 18-Oct-21 15:41:26

Pittcity

I used to love school tapioca!

Oh, yuk, yuk, yuk, Pittcity!
I never managed to bring spoon to mouth!
Luckily someone else on my table liked it and ate mine.

Antonia Mon 18-Oct-21 15:32:40

It was unrealistic. The teachers never seemed to take it seriously and there was far too much 'I hate giving you this medicine' and 'I can't imagine caning a child' etc.
Victorian teachers had up to 50 children in a class and were necessarily strict.
I remember another programme along the same lines, although I don't think it was part of the 'Back in Time For' series. It involved a larger class, going back to 1950s type education. I remember the children being very surprised that they actually had to stop talking when they were told to. They quickly got used to not being on their phones, and enjoyed interacting with each other in the playground. I do feel that a lot of social interaction has been lost for today's children.

Doodledog Mon 18-Oct-21 14:10:56

The things that didn't ring true spoilt it for me. The teachers were far too chummy with the children, and the giggling at the way things used to be done seemed at odds with the point of the programme. It may be the way they interact now, but wouldn't have been in the 19th century.

I have only seen the first two episodes this time round, but saw it when it was first broadcast. My school years were in the late 60s/70s, and I think that episode did bring back memories, but I hated school, so they probably weren't happy ones.

Fennel Mon 18-Oct-21 11:29:26

I enjoyed it. my school years were 1940-54 and it brought back memories. Though there were some details that didn't ring true. Some teachers wore their gowns all the time, but not all.
There were some teachers who were bullies. In primary I had the cane, or a good shaking a few times.
Strange about liver and onions - that's one of our favourite dinners now. Remember beetroot juice as blood, and sago as frogspawn?

Doodledog Mon 18-Oct-21 00:51:33

I liked this one least out of the other similar series’. The early ones were much more realistic, and concentrated on a family who seemed to buy in to the idea of living as people used to.

This was different in that it was a whole class, but I found both the children and the staff annoying - they all seemed to be overacting, and there was little attempt at realism. Were the participants from drama school?

Chestnut Wed 13-Oct-21 10:11:29

Interestingly when I announced I was coming out of role at lunch time the children all complained, they liked the strict teacher.
That proves that children like boundaries and rules, so they know where they stand. Too much liberation when they're young can make them feel there is no guidance.

trisher Wed 13-Oct-21 09:42:13

I thought it was interesting but I agree the staff didn't take their roles seriously. I did when we had a Victorian day in my primary school. Children all had to line up, no talking, no fidgeting and I was strict and serious. Interestingly when I announced I was coming out of role at lunch time the children all complained, they liked the strict teacher.
Domestic science was still called that when I took my O levels. The teacher tried to introduce a scientific element by discussing things like the temperature eggs cook at. It was still just cookery. I believe it became Food Technology at one point.

FannyCornforth Wed 13-Oct-21 09:34:09

lemongrove single sex schools are definitely academically beneficial for girls; whereas it’s not the case for boys

lemongrove Wed 13-Oct-21 08:10:08

I agree Chestnut
None of the staff were at all convincing and didn’t give the flavour of 19th century teaching staff at all.
What was interesting is that the boys didn’t like lessons in class without the girls, and the girls felt liberated ( in spite of corsets) without bothering about how they looked, hair and make up etc. They felt more assertive and free to be themselves.

Chestnut Tue 12-Oct-21 23:53:58

If the teachers don't take it seriously how can you expect the children to do so?

Chestnut Tue 12-Oct-21 23:53:05

I think I started watching it the first time but gave up. I didn't think the teachers were taking it very seriously, all giggling and joking about it. It certainly didn't seems as realistic as the other 'Back in Time....' series.

Grandma70s Tue 12-Oct-21 20:37:49

Why were all the boys wearing caps indoors? They didn’t. Nor would the head master be wearing his hat indoors.

Apart from silly details like this I enjoy the programme and am happy to watch it for a second time.

Trisha57 Tue 12-Oct-21 20:23:10

Sorry Maybee70, crossed posts!

Trisha57 Tue 12-Oct-21 20:22:32

Is this a repeat?

MayBee70 Tue 12-Oct-21 20:22:14

I love those series! It is a repeat but I’m happy to watch it again.

Pittcity Tue 12-Oct-21 20:19:39

I used to love school tapioca!

lemsip Tue 12-Oct-21 19:19:57

BBC2 7-8pm so on now... one of the back in time series....Back in Time for School....