Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shetland

(154 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 16-Oct-21 09:42:05

Hooray! A new series of Shetland starts next Wednesday smile

Glorianny Sun 18-Sep-22 12:26:12

I loved Mark Bonnar in "Guilt" as the dodgy criminal brother. I did wonder if Shetland would end with Perez leaving the island to set up home with him, because he said in the first episode he would never live there again when he left jail. I suppose that means he won't be in any new episodes.

annodomini Sun 18-Sep-22 12:20:23

I thought the plot was too convoluted and far-fetched in the end. Dougie Henshall is a fine actor and was convincing as a man going frayed at the edges. However, for me the characters have strayed too far from the original books. Sandy, for one, in the books is a clueless and even something of a liability, but here he was efficient and sensible. However, he at least did sound like a Shetlander.
As an antidote to the TV series, I am now re-reading the books, starting with Raven Black which is an intriguing psychological thriller. But those of you who only know Perez as Dougie Henshall may be disappointed!sad

Aveline Sat 17-Sep-22 11:32:35

They will bring in some sort of black go getter to meet diversity targets and beef up the story by his/her struggles to understand the local area. It'll be like a chilly 'Death in Paradise'.

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Sep-22 11:06:32

I hope Tosh doesn't take over as the lead. At one time she seemed good but now she seems to have only one expression which is stunned mullet.
As for her daft-as-a-brush partner, hope they write him out too.

NanKate Sat 17-Sep-22 09:22:06

Sparklefizz ??

Sparklefizz Sat 17-Sep-22 08:41:26

Marydoll

PS, I prefer Mark to Dougie!

Me too!!!!

Sparklefizz Sat 17-Sep-22 08:39:56

NanKate

Thank you - another 11 days until I am the same age as Dolly Parton ?‍♀️

You know what they say - you're not old until Mick Jagger says you are!! Ditto Dolly Parton!

Parsley3 Sat 17-Sep-22 08:38:47

Mark Bonner is a brilliant actor. Unfortunately, he can't take over from Douglas.

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 23:16:11

PS, I prefer Mark to Dougie!

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 23:15:22

I agree, Grayling. I do like him. DH and I used to joke that every time, we turned on the TV, he was there.
He can be quite sinister at times!

Grayling1 Fri 16-Sep-22 23:12:33

Yes, he is Marydoll as we saw briefly in the last episode. Think I was just wishing he might still have a part to play given his prominence in the series but sadly not!! No doubt he has a busy schedule with other work coming up. He's a pretty versatile actor.

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 22:51:54

Is Duncan, ( Mark Bonnar) not in prison? It would be difficult to fit him into the storyline, if he is miles away in Barlinnie.

Grayling1 Fri 16-Sep-22 22:46:29

I feel that "Shetland" has been given a good run and time to move on but bit doubtful about the new series (most of which has already been shot) but there have been no leaks about the lead part. I nearly stopped watching the current one after episode two but kept going out of loyalty. My only real annoyance was "Where was Mark Bonner?" We only saw him very briefly in this last series which was strange as he was featured heavily before.

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 21:48:13

Thank you - another 11 days until I am the same age as Dolly Parton ?‍♀️

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 20:47:27

You're a spring chicken!

Happy birthday (whenever it is)

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 20:18:15

September 1946 - the Dark Ages.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 19:55:26

?
I might be older than you, NanKate
Dougie won't give me a passing glance!

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 19:53:52

You go for it Callistemon ? I’m a bit too old in the tooth for him. I think Cary Grant in his older years would have suited me more.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 19:45:41

He needn't bother for me, I'll take him as he is ?

Oops, is that un PC?

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 19:41:49

Callistemon21

NanKate

If I have upset anyone on this thread with my comments apologies. ?

I didn’t expect him to look like James Bond it was just an observation. He’s a good actor.

You haven't upset me

But you did upset Dougie, he's devastated.
He's started a fitness regime.

..... and looking for a new stylist!

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 19:36:29

NanKate

If I have upset anyone on this thread with my comments apologies. ?

I didn’t expect him to look like James Bond it was just an observation. He’s a good actor.

You haven't upset me

But you did upset Dougie, he's devastated.
He's started a fitness regime.

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 19:32:47

It was only in the pub, Kate!!

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 19:30:57

Lucky you Mary. He looks good for a cuddle ?

Marydoll Fri 16-Sep-22 18:02:58

Kate, it was a tongue in cheek remark I made, please don't be upset.
Anyway, I've seen him in the flesh! Many moons ago.?

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 17:39:56

I know Marydoll we are buddies ?

I should just keep my thoughts to myself. Often I open my mouth when I should keep it shut, well so my DH says ?

One last comment, Dougie’s eyes and forehead where just like my Dad’s when he was in his 40s. It gave me a warm feeling. ❤️