Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Quick ! Help !

(41 Posts)
Lucca Sun 28-Nov-21 18:21:28

I’ve been confined to bed/sofa for days and I need something good to watch i have Netflix I player etc but not Amazon etc. Nothing to do with Christmas please ……nothing too gory and no “fantasy”

Namsnanny Tue 30-Nov-21 13:09:16

Lucca You sound as if you have enough suggestions for now, but I just had to add this one in case others were reading.

My Octopus Teacher on Netflix. A beautifully filmed gentle (but sad) program. Not to be missed in my opinion.

Hope your better!

Lucca Tue 30-Nov-21 11:59:46

Thank you ! Also apologies for typo “I’d got that” should have been “I’d go for that “

Marydoll Tue 30-Nov-21 08:24:53

Starter!

Marydoll Tue 30-Nov-21 08:23:59

Lucca, here is your strater for 10. It's a bit slow for the first couple of episodes, but bear with it!
Then again, you might think it's a load of rubbish, but it has won awards!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5wR_qNeZY

Marydoll Tue 30-Nov-21 08:00:50

Happy to oblige, it will need to be later today, though.

Lucca Tue 30-Nov-21 07:35:21

Marydoll

Lucca

I love medical stuff! Have to confess to watching all of Chicago Med and Chicago Fire??
Seen the crown and Bridger ton. And loved three billboards!

Lucca you should try the Korean and Turkish medical drama series on You Tube. I'm hooked. Great on the days I'm struggling and unable to do anything, pure escapism. I'm no longer ashamed to admit to binge watching. I have developed some serious crushes! blush
If you want I can push you in the right direction.
Drama, intrigue, crime, humour, romance and gorgeous doctors all rolled into one!

I’d got that yes please!

Mollygo Mon 29-Nov-21 23:47:01

Murdoch Mysteries- we’re binge watching in the evenings when there’s nothing on TV.

CanadianGran Mon 29-Nov-21 23:08:44

We've been watching Kim's Convenience for light comedy.

theworriedwell Mon 29-Nov-21 22:56:55

Shandy57

BBCIplayer 'The Detectorists', it's delightful. My daughter has just finished working on a production called 'Hope Street', also on BBCIplayer.

Netflix - Breaking Bad, Schitts Creek, Downton Abbey, Anne with an E.

Did she like Donaghadee? My mother came from nearby and loved Donaghadee. I haven't been for many years.

Marydoll Mon 29-Nov-21 22:45:26

Lucca

I love medical stuff! Have to confess to watching all of Chicago Med and Chicago Fire??
Seen the crown and Bridger ton. And loved three billboards!

Lucca you should try the Korean and Turkish medical drama series on You Tube. I'm hooked. Great on the days I'm struggling and unable to do anything, pure escapism. I'm no longer ashamed to admit to binge watching. I have developed some serious crushes! blush
If you want I can push you in the right direction.
Drama, intrigue, crime, humour, romance and gorgeous doctors all rolled into one!

Namsnanny Mon 29-Nov-21 22:39:03

Dinner Ladies for me if I was on the sofa Lucca, The Detectorists too.

On Netflix, I enjoyed the
-Ozarks,
-Bloodline
-Explained (short enlightening documentary series).
- Effie Gray and Gosford Park (yes old I know).
-True Story, (a new series and quite difficult to adjust to the
lingo but worth it)

Hope your feeling better by now, if so you can refer to this list whenever.

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 22:35:29

I loved Nina’s clothes…..

highlanddreams Mon 29-Nov-21 19:07:31

Lucca

highlanddreams

Offspring is good on Netflix & also Rake both are top notch Australian TV series and if you can find it anywhere A Place To Call Home is fab too.It was on BBC iplayer but I think it's moved on to UKTV play app now

Offspring is my all time favourite !
Also loved Rake but a place to call hone a bit cheesy for me,

APTCH did get a bit cheesy towards the end I guess. I absolutely loved Regina though, her character was so conniving and underhand so she fun to watch to see what she would get up to next.

Anyone like Justified here? We really enjoyed that, not sure if it's on anywhere just now, sky maybe ? We liked it so much we bought the boxset but it did take me until the end of Season 1 before I really started to like it .

Aveline I miss the Proudmans too & also the wonderful Martin Clegg !

Aveline Mon 29-Nov-21 18:57:47

I've finished 'Offspring' and I'm so sad. I miss all the Proudmans and their associated hangers on. sad

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 18:43:22

highlanddreams

Offspring is good on Netflix & also Rake both are top notch Australian TV series and if you can find it anywhere A Place To Call Home is fab too.It was on BBC iplayer but I think it's moved on to UKTV play app now

Offspring is my all time favourite !
Also loved Rake but a place to call hone a bit cheesy for me,

Grandmagrim Mon 29-Nov-21 18:40:30

I loved Rake. Totally fell in love with Cleaver Green and Barney.

Trisha57 Mon 29-Nov-21 18:33:18

Is Bones still available anywhere? I have the box set, but if I didn't I'd certainly binge watch on Netflix, Prime or whatever it was on!!!

Nortsat Mon 29-Nov-21 18:30:26

I have been watching Victoria Wood’s ‘Dinnerladies’ on BBC catch up and have laughed out loud many, many times.

I second Radio 4 Extra for plays, serials etc. I have been enjoying ‘Eleanor Oliphant is Perfectly Alright’ on Sounds BBC Radio 4 Extra.

Hope your sofa confinement ends soon Lucca ?

crazyH Mon 29-Nov-21 17:57:37

Agree with lemsip - love Judge Judy ?

highlanddreams Mon 29-Nov-21 17:56:21

Lucca Mon 29-Nov-21 17:45:40

No no no no Christmas stuff. I’m allergic ….

Visgir1 Mon 29-Nov-21 17:40:56

Guilty pleasure on Netflix atm.. Re watching Merlin.
Plus check out Christmas films on channel 51 free view, all the cheesy ones!

MiniMoon Mon 29-Nov-21 13:43:29

I've been working my way through the films on iplayer. There are quite a variety to choose from. DH had never seen Bringing Up Baby, it's one of my favourite movies.

lemsip Mon 29-Nov-21 11:53:10

give judge judy a watch. always my go to.

Aveline Mon 29-Nov-21 08:28:48

Thanks for starting this Lucca. I'm finding the suggestions very useful!
Hope you feel better soon.
BTW I found myself watching Griff Rhys Jones in New Zealand on Netflix last night and thoroughly enjoying it.