Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Christmas Ghost Story

(15 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 18-Dec-21 06:38:29

The classic for me is The Turn of the Screw but The Others is excellent and very moving. I hope these might be on somewhere.

Sweetpeasue Fri 17-Dec-21 20:51:51

We love. (haven't opened the sherry yet, honest)

Sweetpeasue Fri 17-Dec-21 20:50:46

Weove a Ghost story at Christmas too. Some years ago we watched Woman in Black (Susan Hill) on a Christmas Eve. Will look out for The Mezzotint.

lemongrove Fri 17-Dec-21 20:38:13

It’s a good creepy story and is guaranteed to have you looking out of the window to see what’s crawling up the drive the next day.?

Pepper59 Fri 17-Dec-21 17:40:49

Oh yes, ghost stories are one of my favourite things. Looking forward to The Mezzotint on Christmas Eve.

Lincslass Fri 17-Dec-21 13:42:39

Oops got that mixed up with The Monkeys Paw, another creepy tail by WW Jacobs.

Lincslass Fri 17-Dec-21 13:40:13

Grandmabatty

lemongrove I agree with everything you say. I, too, like the stories of M R. James and The Signalman is a masterpiece by Dickens. Whistle and I will come to you was a disappointment despite starring John Hurt.

Remember reading the story, excellent and as a teenage horror story buff scared me to bits , it makes good of the phrase “be careful what you wish for.”

Deedaa Fri 17-Dec-21 12:14:00

I haven't seen the John Hurt version, only the Michael Hordern one.

Grandmabatty Thu 09-Dec-21 09:09:48

lemongrove I agree with everything you say. I, too, like the stories of M R. James and The Signalman is a masterpiece by Dickens. Whistle and I will come to you was a disappointment despite starring John Hurt.

lemongrove Thu 09-Dec-21 08:54:41

It’s the best short story by Charles Dickens ( The Signalman) but I haven’t seen it on tv, so glad it was well done ( must watch it sometime.)
I also like the stories by M R James, a Cambridge don who had plenty of time on his hands to make up ghostly tales set in East Anglia ( the area seems made for ghostly goings on.)
I didn’t like a recently watched filming of Whistle and I’ll come to you my lad....too different to the actual story.

Grandmabatty Thu 09-Dec-21 07:22:13

I think it's become a Christmas tradition for me. I love a ghost story at Christmas.

Deedaa Wed 08-Dec-21 23:19:09

The Signalman is so good. Denholm Eliot was always one of my favourite actors. I'm looking forward to The Mezzotint too!

Blossoming Wed 08-Dec-21 22:20:34

Yes, it’s a family tradition. The Stalls of Barchester is amongst my favourites. When I was young I used to watch snuggled up against my big brother for reassurance!

MayBee70 Wed 08-Dec-21 22:18:06

Up to a point. But I was watching the Mark Gatiss programme about horror stories that was on after it and had to switch off because they showed an excerpt from Lost Hearts….

BigBertha1 Wed 08-Dec-21 22:11:59

We love a good ghost story especially on Christmas Eve. We have just watched The Signalman as we do every year. Anyone else enjoy a ghost story at this time?