Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Call the midwife

(263 Posts)
Beswitched Sat 25-Dec-21 21:57:12

What did you think? It was nice but a bit dull on my opinion. Loved Lucille's wedding dress.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 19:20:30

Yes that was a relief. Sr Julienne and Dr Turner connect CTM to its origins and Phyllis is also a strong connection to the world in which CTM was founded. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

Smileless2012 Mon 21-Feb-22 12:10:22

I enjoyed it and was relieved that non of the main characters were killed off.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 12:09:00

I was surprised when Sr Julienne said 'my life will be a short one' to Sheila.

I presume she is in her early seventies, which wouldn't have been considered a particularly young age to die in 1967.

SueDonim Mon 21-Feb-22 11:51:27

Calendargirl

Well, there were two deaths that featured in the story.

The poor train driver with the wife in labour, and the scalded tea lady that Sister Julienne had delivered of numerous children in the past.

And the premature baby. ?

Peartree Mon 21-Feb-22 11:48:50

I too thought the Sr Julienne story was a bit pantomimey. One minute she was saying thats me lot! to Mrs Turner then shes wheeled in to Doc Turners bed and SURPRISE! she wasnt having a heart attack ? at all. Im glad really I like all of them except Nurse Corrigan who has always got a smacked axxx face.

Josieann Mon 21-Feb-22 09:52:13

I'm in two minds whether it was a good idea to have put Reggie on the front news of the newspaper to tell the story. I mean in those days back when? I can remember a lot of unpleasant comments about disabilities as a London child in the 60s.
But I like his character.

Luckygirl3 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:37:10

The miraculous changed diagnosis of Sister Julienne felt a bit trite!

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 09:35:41

Well, there were two deaths that featured in the story.

The poor train driver with the wife in labour, and the scalded tea lady that Sister Julienne had delivered of numerous children in the past.

snowberryZ Mon 21-Feb-22 09:08:04

Aveline

Still too sickly sweet for me!

Yes I know!
They could have given us at least one death.
We were robbed grin

snowberryZ Mon 21-Feb-22 09:06:24

Beswitched

I notice we never see the two Turner daughters together any more. I wonder why. They used to be like Siamese twins.

Yes I noticed that. And they used to say Yay! a lot.
Now they're oder They will hopefully get given a few more lines.

Josieann Mon 21-Feb-22 09:05:22

I enjoyed it. I'm glad we got know what happened to everyone in the end rather than leaving the story dangling.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 09:03:33

I notice we never see the two Turner daughters together any more. I wonder why. They used to be like Siamese twins.

snowberryZ Mon 21-Feb-22 08:57:47

I wish they wouldn't play that awful soppy music whenever they show Cyril and Lucille together. It's always the same tune.
It was OK the first few times, to set the scene - young love and all that, but now it's turned into a joke. As a family we laugh when we hear it.
Not the reaction it's supposed to provoke?confused

Same with the Yay! Twins.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 08:30:28

I've just looked up Brian Rix' Wikipedia page. They list his 4 children but there is no Olly or Oliver amongst them.

sodapop Mon 21-Feb-22 08:18:31

Well I enjoy watching Call the Midwife, lots of great memories evoked. Last night's series finale was excellent, hope Sister Julienne gets back to her usual self in the next series. Phyllis was wonderful getting everyone organised.

Gwyneth Mon 21-Feb-22 08:17:57

Really enjoyed it and pleased that the main characters survived. Look forward to the next series and yes Matthew is gorgeous. Hope Trixie comes back and they continue their relationship.

Beswitched Mon 21-Feb-22 08:11:55

Calendargirl

What a turnaround!

Last week, there were cries of “CTM has run its course, time for it to be dropped!”

“Turning into a soap opera”.

This week, it’s all tears of joy and happy endings, “can’t wait for the next series”.

What a fickle lot we are!

I know! It just brought back shades of what it used to be.
Although the neat packaging of Carol's story, in particular the rather clunky conversation with Sr Frances as they were wheeling the pram down the road was a weak point, I thought.

LullyDully Mon 21-Feb-22 08:09:56

I do think CTM has had it's day, but still watch it with a tissue. (Silly old lady.)

LullyDully Mon 21-Feb-22 08:08:25

Matthew is Brian Ricks' son according to Wikipedia. He is like his father .

Aveline Mon 21-Feb-22 07:26:53

Still too sickly sweet for me!

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 07:20:15

What a turnaround!

Last week, there were cries of “CTM has run its course, time for it to be dropped!”

“Turning into a soap opera”.

This week, it’s all tears of joy and happy endings, “can’t wait for the next series”.

What a fickle lot we are!

Lilypops Sun 20-Feb-22 22:54:26

Granny Laine. Hands off , Mathew Elwood is mine , I saw him first. !!

SueDonim Sun 20-Feb-22 22:53:27

Awwww! Happy sigh. Wasn’t Phyllis’s perm something to behold! grin

GrannyLaine Sun 20-Feb-22 21:44:40

I'm a bit in love with Matthew Elwood. Sighhhhh.....

Bellanonna Sun 20-Feb-22 21:37:31

Much relieved that Sr Julienne lives to play in future episodes. I’m glad Dr Turner is OK, and that Carol has found a new family to befriend. Just what she needed.