Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Audible. Does anyone subscribe to it?

(107 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 02:52:45

Just found a podcast I want to listen to but it’s on audible. I can get a 30 day free trial but after that I have to pay. Is it audio books as well as podcasts? Given that I seem to listen to podcast more than read these days I might give it a go. Then again there are always lots of things to listen to on BBC Sounds….

Doodledog Tue 18-Jan-22 12:38:56

No, you keep them, but my credits would go if I cancelled - you can't have credits sitting there if you have left.

Mollygo Tue 18-Jan-22 12:41:48

I’d just have a splurge then. They only allow you to build up 5 credits anyway.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 12:42:10

I think I’ve discovered a whole new world. I only have an iPad. Can I listen to it on that? When you pay your monthly fee do you get free books with that or do you have to pay for each book? Can you only listen to it once? If I get a months free trial does it actually finish after 30 days or do they pressurise you into subscribing? Do they read the whole book or is it abridged?

Doodledog Tue 18-Jan-22 12:45:07

I’d just have a splurge then. They only allow you to build up 5 credits anyway.
I have six just now?

FannyCornforth Tue 18-Jan-22 12:49:25

Yes, your fee includes a credit, or two depending on your subscription.
Some are abridged, others not.
There is absolutely loads of stuff on there including BBC comedy, plays etc.
I’ve just bought Ayckbourn’s The Norman Conquests which promises to be a treat.
I can’t imagine that they will hassle you, you’ll just cancel online.
Give it a go, it’s great!
I’d even recommend buying an Echo dot just to listen, cheap as chips sometimes.
Sorry, I’m a fully paid up disciple of Bezos! blush

FannyCornforth Tue 18-Jan-22 12:50:27

I’ve got 11 credits, but then I’m a VIP! wink

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 13:47:10

I might have to apologise to my books and ask their forgiveness. Much as I hate Bezos audio books would help me with my zero waste policy I guess. And his ex wife is giving a lot of her divorce settlement to charity I believe.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-Jan-22 14:27:09

I know MayBee, it’s awful isn’t it. If only he were more like Gates.
But, not exaggerating, Amazon and Audible got me through the pandemic; and as someone who is practically housebound (I hate that phrase) I couldn’t do without them

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 14:35:10

Same here. BBC Sounds at night let’s me drift into sleep without my mind racing and worrying about things. Last night I was listening to 30 animals that made us smarter. I did read that our brains don’t remember things that we hear in the way that it remembers things that we read which is reassuring in that I don’t remember things these days. As for Amazon, my daughter has Amazon Prime and often buys things for me, but I’ve realised I still have an Amazon account so have bought a few things recently and to receive something you’ve purchased so quickly is amazing. I do save the packaging as I intend to start ebay’ing some of my clutter and I can reuse it.

Floradora9 Tue 18-Jan-22 15:38:30

I have joined intermittently but do not find much to listen to . I really want it for autobiographies and " enjoyed " Miriam Margolis if you ignore all the f words. I really wanted Billy Connolly's book as well but found his delivery so boring . I much prefer to get my Alexa device to read my any one of my hundreds of books on Kindle . You cannot do this away from a wi fi signal but I listen in bed . I buy books for a pound and she reads them to me. I have really enjoyed Halley Mills , Tom Jones , Dusty Springfield and many more and all for a fraction of the price of Audible .I can even listen to books from Kindle Unlimited which is the same price as Audible unless you get a good deal as I did .

FannyCornforth Wed 19-Jan-22 02:35:52

Have you started a trial MayBee? smile

seacliff Wed 19-Jan-22 02:53:54

I found the same Flora. I can also get audible books etc free from my local library online.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 04:15:00

FannyCornforth

I’m going away for a couple of weeks so I’m planning to catch up on watching some DVD’s while I’m there. I’ll get started when I get home. Staying at my daughters when I get back to look after her dog so that might be a good time to start.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 04:15:01

FannyCornforth

I’m going away for a couple of weeks so I’m planning to catch up on watching some DVD’s while I’m there. I’ll get started when I get home. Staying at my daughters when I get back to look after her dog so that might be a good time to start.

RillaofIngleside Wed 19-Jan-22 10:35:24

I joined thinking I would listen to loads of books. To be honest so far I haven't liy to one. We haven't done any long enough car journeys and I fall asleep the minute I try to listen to one. I am a reader not a listener. So it's worth a trial, but it wasn't for me.

RillaofIngleside Wed 19-Jan-22 10:36:09

Sorry that should say listened.

sarahcyn Wed 19-Jan-22 10:44:30

Audible is the best thing ever! I can read while knitting, walking the dog, driving, washing up, cooking, rocking my granddaughter to sleep
...pretending to be listening to my DH moaning on....

Willow68 Wed 19-Jan-22 10:45:10

Yes, I love audible! I listen to it when I’m
Doing jobs around the home. The only time I pause is to hoover, then straight back on, as get ingrosed in the story.
I have all genres, and usually listen to meditation at night, health and self improvement during the day, or a good novel. I couldn’t be without it now x

MissElly Wed 19-Jan-22 10:49:14

I love it too. I find myself walking much longer than I had intended to when I have an interesting book on the go! Only difficulty is turning it off to talk when I get home smile

Graygirl Wed 19-Jan-22 10:52:15

Used this for 8+years, 1 credit per month plus all the free stuff heaven . Have app on phone and kindle so they sync, play on dot at night,

Cherrytree59 Wed 19-Jan-22 10:56:08

I swap between audible and kindle unlimited.
Both 7.99.
I am on kindle unlimited at moment as have taken up a reduced price offer.

I prefer this to audible because it is unlimited books and magazines, no faffing with credits and I read a book over several days, so find it more cost effective iyswim.

I have found with audible that if you cancel your subscription at end of month they ask why and if you tick too expensive box they will offer you next month at a reduced cost usually (half price)

Willow68 Wed 19-Jan-22 11:03:05

Just to add to my post, it’s also brilliant if you are not a great sleeper. I often use it at night or if I’m awake in the night, I have a night list of books such as david Attenborough, they interest me enough to listen but there is no story to follow so my brain slows and I fall asleep ?

MeowWow Wed 19-Jan-22 11:03:44

Yes. I love being a member of Audible. Having wireless earbuds allows me to listen to my books whilst doing chores.

Coco51 Wed 19-Jan-22 11:09:02

I get audio books from my library with the ’Libby’. The only trouble is they might not have whole series, and after a while the list gets a bit stale.

Granny1810 Wed 19-Jan-22 11:23:54

Audio books add another layer to novels. I read Keri Beevis's new novel but then got the audio version. So so creepy much creepier than I read it as