Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Leonardo

(13 Posts)
Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 19:20:40

We watched the first episode of this on the Drama channel. I rather enjoyed it. Aiden Turner as Leonardo Da Vinci.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 22-May-22 19:30:40

It has been on Netflix. Watched a few episodes but then didn’t bother.

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 19:32:28

Oh has it? We haven't got Netflix. I'm late to the party then!

Doodledog Sun 22-May-22 19:40:24

I saw it a while ago, but will watch it again. It is tosh, but I found it very watchable and entertaining.

Deedaa Sun 22-May-22 20:48:07

I tried the first episode but wasn't wildly impressed. For one thing Leonardo was 15 when he went to study with Verrochio and Aiden looks a lot older than that. I wanted more facts, I wanted to know if all the details of the studio were right and what research they'd done. Of course that might just be me!

Doodledog Sun 22-May-22 21:20:14

I don't think you can watch it as a history lesson. It is tosh. But Aidan Turner is very easy on the eye, and the story is the TV equivalent of a 'page turner'.

I don't think it's just you. Some people like programmes like this to be educational, and some just take them as entertainment - different strokes. Personally, I see them as a bit like historical fiction - the bare bones are there, but if you want the 'facts' (such as we know them about things that happened hundreds of years ago) read a text book, and even then, be very aware that historians interpret the past - they often know very little of the facts around interpersonal stories.

Kate1949 Sun 22-May-22 23:48:27

I think it's rather good. Just something to watch. Historical fiction but quite entertaining.

Greyduster Mon 23-May-22 08:25:45

I watched three episodes a while back. After that even Aiden Turner didn’t manage to hold my attention. Perhaps I’ll give it another go.

Sparklefizz Mon 23-May-22 09:26:54

I watched a couple of episodes and then gave up. As Greyduster says, "even Aiden Turner didn't manage to hold my attention."

henetha Mon 23-May-22 09:31:59

Aiden Turner? Oh my gosh! Another of my many crushes!
I've got Netflix... yippee!

Doodledog Mon 23-May-22 09:56:30

You don't need Netflix now - it's on the Drama Channel (Channel 20 on Freeview) and there is a catch-up app, too. It's not pretending to be a true story - it weaves a version of his life story into some of his paintings, suggesting that the paintings may have been influenced by events in his life.

henetha Mon 23-May-22 09:58:54

Thanks Doodledog. I've got Freesat and it does have the Dram channel so I'll look for it on there.

henetha Mon 23-May-22 09:59:15

Drama!