Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

No tv licence here - anyone else?

(4 Posts)
Lynette55 Mon 13-Jun-22 13:01:19

We gave up watching tv during the first lockdown. We realised we were just putting it on as though on autopilot and not really watching or enjoying it. So we tried a couple of weeks not watching and actually loved it! So I cancelled the licence and we got rid of the tv! I do have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime but rarely watch either. We do like Clarksons Farm and the Marvellous Mrs Maisel.
Only occasionally do I have a twinge of regret when there’s a program everyone raves about.
Mind you I get monthly letters threatening me with court action for not having a licence!

Allsorts Mon 13-Jun-22 13:05:27

Love my tv.next to my car and computer.

Calendargirl Mon 13-Jun-22 13:12:27

Would hate to be without a tv.

CaravanSerai Mon 13-Jun-22 13:14:37

Whether you need a licence or not depends on how you watch not necessarily what you watch.

If you watch TV programmes live on any online TV service, including Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, ITV Hub or All 4, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

If you watch or record TV programmes live on any channel or TV service, or download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever use online services to watch on demand or catch up programmes, except if you’re watching BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104