Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Prime Suspect BBC IPlayer

(6 Posts)
NanKate Wed 15-Jun-22 08:04:36

I am rewatching this series from 25+ years ago and it is excellent. However I notice the heavy smoking and the racist, homophobic comments.

Framilode Wed 15-Jun-22 09:33:30

If it's the first series of Prime Suspect, which I think was the best, you might also notice that Helen Mirren looks younger now than she did then.

CaravanSerai Wed 15-Jun-22 09:47:13

I binge watched all seven series a few months ago. I think my favourite was the one when she was in Metro Vice. My least when she was in Manchester investigating drug gangs and taking on Steven Mackintosh's "The Street". I liked the way Tennison's relationship with Otley (Tom Bell) changed over time. Top telly.

Lately, I've been watching all four series of the Danish Borgen, so politics not crime, but I think Sidse Babett Knudsen, who plays Birgitte Nyborg, has the same kind of screen presence as Helen Mirren playing Jane Tennison. Maybe it's to do with a women in a senior role succeeding by sheer hard work and determination in a predominantly male environment. Also highly recommended.

Chestnut Wed 15-Jun-22 10:51:42

NanKate heavy smoking is often still included in modern dramas because that is what used to go on. Racist, homophobic and misogynistic comments were also a part of life and are still often included in dramas made now to show what it was like back then. Today we see dreadful scenes of violence and gore that would never be shown on TV in the past, but which seem to be perfectly acceptable these days.

TwiceAsNice Wed 15-Jun-22 13:22:11

Loved the Prime Suspect series May watch again myself. I watched the previous Bergen so must watch this series too. I am selective about what I watch, can’t stand wasting time watching any old rubbish!

Shirleyw Thu 16-Jun-22 05:43:38

Yes, I like the Prime suspect series and have re watched them , infact I’m reading a Lynda Le Plants book At the moment, a Jane Tennison when she was a sergeant, called ‘unholy murder’, where a nuns body was found in a coffin with scratch marks on the lid.