Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Savoy

(19 Posts)
62Granny Wed 15-Jun-22 22:00:55

Anybody else watching this on ITV at the moment? ( Wednesday) does Gordon Ramsay have to swear all the time, I can't be alone in finding it irriating? even If I could afford it I am not sure I would eat there.

crazyH Wed 15-Jun-22 22:16:10

Yes, I watched it. Maybe I’m jealous, but the ‘ambience’ didn’t do it for me. Tell me I heard wrong - £1000 for a birthday party (that young man in tight leather pants) at the Savoy, didn’t seem too much. I’m sure my little granddaughter’s ‘Elsa party’ cost about £300+ ?

Kate1949 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:07:07

I was going to watch until I realised Gordon Ramsay was in it.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 16-Jun-22 10:15:12

I wasn’t in so am going to watch on catch up. One day I’d like to go there just to see what it’s like.

Shandy57 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:19:29

I used to prefer the Ritz, I occasionally met a friend there for afternoon tea.

Redhead56 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:25:14

I love to see how the other half live but some people living the luxury lifestyle can come across as so obnoxious.
Gordon Ramsey and other chefs like the sound of their own voice. He did a show ultimate home cooking I think it was very enjoyable no swearing and nice looking food.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:58:49

I am biased having stayed their for several of my birthdays.

The Grill is not pretentious, The American Bar is my favourite in London (one of our AS and wife love it also) the staff are efficient and caring.

I appreciate that I am lucky and spoilt.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:59:24

*there bit their

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jun-22 10:59:47

??? * there not their

Witzend Thu 16-Jun-22 11:19:44

I used to go to a major annual lunchtime do at the Savoy, but afterwards we’d pile into the Coal Hole next door, where the prices were rather less eye-watering than in the American Bar!

Also recall at one of said do’s, many years ago now, being charged a fiver for a glass of white wine that was truly undrinkable. To be fair there was no hassle about replacing it, though.

But I still have fond memories of the Savoy, though. Much more recently we had dinner there with friends making their annual summer visit to London.

After a previous such dinner, where noise levels were so loud we had to shout across the table, we requested a very quiet area for our Savoy dinner, and they really came up trumps. No more expensive than many other places, either.

Joseanne Thu 16-Jun-22 11:23:24

Surely 62Granny Gordon doesn't come into the dining room and swear though? I have met many famous chefs and I really couldn't care what they are like in their kitchens because the food us hood and they are polite when we chat after the meal.

Joseanne Thu 16-Jun-22 11:24:07

good not hood

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jun-22 12:03:15

Joseanne

Surely 62Granny Gordon doesn't come into the dining room and swear though? I have met many famous chefs and I really couldn't care what they are like in their kitchens because the food us hood and they are polite when we chat after the meal.

Gordon definitely does not swear in the restaurant when meeting the diners.

Kitchens are a stressful place to work, and Michelin starred chefs have to ensure that high standards and consistency are always adhered to otherwise they will lose their Michelin accreditation.

Floradora9 Thu 16-Jun-22 21:18:53

Michael, who won the award, is the late Linda Bellingham's son. He wanted to be an actor but failed but I am glad he is doing well now ,

Floradora9 Fri 17-Jun-22 18:02:18

Michael has left to work in Claridges . His mentor must be gutted .

TwiceAsNice Fri 17-Jun-22 18:14:50

I watched the series last year as well, I really enjoy it.

We went to the Savoy when my youngest daughter graduated for afternoon tea. She had a strange graduation time, too late for lunch afterwards and too wary for dinner. Their champagne afternoon tea was gorgeous and the pianist played beautifully . I think I need to go back for another special occasion!

TwiceAsNice Fri 17-Jun-22 18:15:23

Early not wary damn predictive text

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jun-22 20:20:39

Have just watched this on catch up. What on earth was Sean doing with that expensive wedding dress? He seemed to be dragging it across the kitchen floor, after telling us how much it cost!

To be honest, with Gordon Ramsay effing away in the kitchen, and that Savoy Grill manager, the David Niven lookalike who really was quite full of himself, and dear old Sean trying to be all things to all people, dashing about and looking ready to give himself a heart attack, it all came across as a bit of a parody.

And didn’t think the suites at £16 grand a night looked worth it actually.

ayse Sun 19-Jun-22 10:19:08

DD2 took her daughter to the Savoy earlier this year for afternoon tea. Apparently they had to complain because the table was very near the toilets or kitchen and very unrelaxing. They were finally moved to a slightly better table. Apparently the afternoon tea was not nearly as good as the Cafe Royale (last year’s treat). DD had the distinct impression that she wasn’t ‘the right sort of customer’.

Last weekend my 3DD’s took me to afternoon tea as a 70th birthday treat. DD2 said the gluten free options, especially the scones were far superior to those at the Savoy.

I didn’t watch as Gordon Ramsey and his bad language has put me off for ever.