Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Classic FM and Scala

(10 Posts)
BigBertha1 Tue 21-Jun-22 09:16:23

I love Classic FM and have it on the radio most of the time but at 9am it has to go to Scala. I cannot stand Alexander Armstrong and his fake bonhomie. He sounds like a games show host (which he is and what a shame he could have been a good actor). I suppose its just me I need to be treated gently in the mornings.

volver Tue 21-Jun-22 09:23:04

Oh I thought it was just me who thought that. ? What a change we've had in the last couple of weeks with him on holiday....

At least there's two of us BigBertha1. Maybe its just us!

To be fair, I sat next to him on a plane once and he seems very nice.

MiniMoon Tue 21-Jun-22 09:43:01

I much prefer Scala to Classic FM these days. A few old Classic FM presenters gave migrated to Scala. I like Mark Forrest at 10 am after Charles Nove.
Alexander Armstrong annoys me too.

AuntieEleanorsCat Tue 21-Jun-22 09:46:49

I don’t “do” Alexander Armstrong since I found out he’s a supporter of hunting and blood sports.

Nice man.

He really gets on my nerves on Pointless, but DH has it on ?

Witzend Tue 21-Jun-22 12:47:24

I didn’t like him at all at first - so different from the calm, soothing tones of John Suchet! - but I’ve got used to him now. I get the impression that it’s not really fake bonhomie - it’s at least partly just how he is. If not, I don’t know how on earth he’d keep it up!

I really loathe the word when used to describe people, but if he were a young woman he’d probably be described as ‘bubbly’.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 21-Jun-22 13:08:03

I can’t stand him either. When he’s on I waver between a couple of other stations at different times. Never tried Scala so I might have to give it a go.

grannysyb Tue 21-Jun-22 14:34:39

I'm in the minority, really like AA, also he plays more sung music than some of the other presenters.

volver Tue 21-Jun-22 14:36:19

I do like the sung music. O sole mio this morning was fab!

BigBertha1 Tue 21-Jun-22 14:41:29

Thank you for the responses. Just to be clear I think he is a talented actor and from what one can tell he looks like a nice man its just he is so loud and 'too much' for me in the mornings and I really don't care for game shows whoever is hosting. Its been a lovely quiet time on Classic FM in the mornings with other presenters. Lovely programme at 10pm for going to sleep on and the one at 6am is a nice start to the day to doze iff again too

Floradora9 Tue 21-Jun-22 21:16:41

I have never listened since he came on the scene and John Suchet left his morning slot.