Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Glastonbury on bbc2

(355 Posts)
lemsip Sat 25-Jun-22 21:02:17

anyone watching this........Not my thing just going to watch Noel gallagher though.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jun-22 12:22:00

Our young relatives (in their 30s) saw The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park on Saturday night. They said they were unbelievable and that Mick's energy is astonishing.

Chestnut Tue 28-Jun-22 10:53:40

Paul and Mick Jagger are both still performing because they feed off the adulation of the audience. Paul was the Beatle who wanted to keep doing the stage performances but the others (especially George) couldn't take it any more. Four years of 'Beatlemania' was enough, trapped in hotel rooms with screaming girls everywhere. That is why they stopped live performances and went into the recording studio from 1966 onwards. But Paul was back on stage as soon as he started Wings.

DanniRae Tue 28-Jun-22 10:52:46

Grandmabatty

I think as he wrote the songs, he's entitled to sing them as high or low as he likes!

Well said Gmabatty and how true!!

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:43:49

George's album is great kitty and he seems like a sweetheart.

Grandmabatty Tue 28-Jun-22 08:17:05

I think as he wrote the songs, he's entitled to sing them as high or low as he likes!

merlotgran Tue 28-Jun-22 08:16:27

If you are singing out of tune (usually flat) you are singing most notes slightly lower in pitch than is intended.

Singing a completely different note to avoid a high note is OK so long as it is in tune - that’s how harmonies work. Sorry if I’m not explaining it very well.

Diana Ross was singing flat a lot of the time - not quite hitting the notes intended which meant that any notes she changed to make a song easier to sing were still out of tune.

DanniRae Tue 28-Jun-22 08:14:08

He put on a great show and I was prepared to not enjoy it (having heard him sing outside Buckingham Palace a few years ago) His voice might not be as good as it was but it was a pleasure to see him perform and bring back all the memories of my youth when Paul was far away my favourite Beatle.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 06:47:08

merlotgran

He was still singing in tune, Glorianny even if he changed it to avoid the high notes.

There's a new one. So it doesn't matter what the tune is, if you can't reach the notes just change them!
He ruined it. Why not just admit you can't sing it anymore and let it go?

kittylester Tue 28-Jun-22 06:28:38

Sweetest Person in the World - oops

kittylester Tue 28-Jun-22 06:25:13

Kate1949

I love George Ezra. We bought his last album if that's what they're still called.

I have downloaded it kate. The track 'Most Wonderful Person on the Earth' (??) makes me quite emotional.

Chestnut Tue 28-Jun-22 06:08:09

Glorianny

McCartney and Ross needed their backing singers. His voice isn't what it was, he ruined "Blackbird". Watch Celeste for a fantastic voice that needs no support. She's great.

Celeste absolutely slaughtered 'Wonderful World' at the Jubilee. I couldn't bear listening, it was painful. I don't rate her singing at all.

If you want to hear a good female voice try Alison Krauss and Robert Plant at Glastonbury. She has a beautiful voice.

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jun-22 22:21:28

I love George Ezra. We bought his last album if that's what they're still called.

muse Mon 27-Jun-22 22:06:08

Cheered myself up with hours of Glasto yesterday.
Found some long time favourites and discovered a new one.

Elbow - who I’ve seen four times live. (Best time was at Eden Project)
Crowded House
Pet Shop Boys
Paul McCartney

Years and Years - outstanding.

Casdon Mon 27-Jun-22 21:58:10

Chewbacca

Glad it's not just me Kandinsky & MayBee70, Celeste didn't impress me with her mangling of It's a Wonderful World at the platinum jubilee but even less so at Glasto. I was so distracted by her waving her arms around, whilst mumbling and wailing that I lost track. First Aid Kit, George Ezra and Gabriels were gems though.

I really rate George Ezra, he’s got a great voice, that’s instantly recognisable whatever he sings, and he writes or cowrites all his own songs too. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s still around when he’s 80.

Katie59 Mon 27-Jun-22 21:24:41

Although I’m a big fan of Macca I don’t ever remember him having strong voice, he certainly doesn’t compare with Tom Jones.
That aside there is a world of difference between a recorded song and a live concert lasting over 2 hours, at 80 he did brilliantly.

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jun-22 20:10:31

He can do no wrong for me. Voice or no voice. As mention previously, The Beatles gave me 'something' in a troubled life.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jun-22 20:02:04

He was still singing in tune, Glorianny even if he changed it to avoid the high notes.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jun-22 19:30:36

Glad it's not just me Kandinsky & MayBee70, Celeste didn't impress me with her mangling of It's a Wonderful World at the platinum jubilee but even less so at Glasto. I was so distracted by her waving her arms around, whilst mumbling and wailing that I lost track. First Aid Kit, George Ezra and Gabriels were gems though.

Glorianny Mon 27-Jun-22 19:19:43

merlotgran

Paul’s voice might be weaker because of his age but at least he was always in tune and hasn’t lost any of his musical ability.

If you change the tune because you can't hit the notes are you still singing "in tune"? He dropped all the high notes in Blackbird

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:14:30

Kandinsky

*Celeste*?
Jeez. 5 minutes of her & you’d be depressed.
She’s so dull.

At least Paul is entertaining and upbeat.

Glad it’s not just me. She looked fantastic but I couldn’t make out any tune to anything she was singing. It all sounded the same and very dull!

Kandinsky Mon 27-Jun-22 18:59:38

Celeste?
Jeez. 5 minutes of her & you’d be depressed.
She’s so dull.

At least Paul is entertaining and upbeat.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:33:37

Paul’s voice might be weaker because of his age but at least he was always in tune and hasn’t lost any of his musical ability.

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:18:48

Yes but I wonder what her voice will be like when she's 80. I personally don't care if Paul's voice has gone. I watched it for the fantastic show, the songs and the brilliance of Paul.

Glorianny Mon 27-Jun-22 18:16:23

McCartney and Ross needed their backing singers. His voice isn't what it was, he ruined "Blackbird". Watch Celeste for a fantastic voice that needs no support. She's great.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:36:11

VB000

The young country singer with the wellie boots was Kacey Musgraves - she was great. Haven't seen Paul Mc yet, but Diana Ross' singing was very out of tune - totally relied on the backing singers! Was away in Bournemouth last week, and we managed to catch 3 shows of stars all around the 78 year old mark (we were very lucky!) George Benson (we barely sat down, he was amazing!), Roger Daltrey also sang well, but not too many familiar Who songs. Then Gladys Knight - wow, she looked and sounded like she was in her 50s - stunning performance! smile Any of those would be great in a future Legends slot!

Thanks for that. There seemed to be quite a few who looked similar. I’ll check her out on utube; really liked the last song that she did.