Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Archers - first couple in the world to have twin babies

(81 Posts)
Franbern Fri 22-Jul-22 19:09:40

I have been listening, with increasing annoyance,to the silly storyline about the coming birth of the twins.
They seem to be approaching this as if this couple, with so much local family support, etc are the first couple ever to give birth to twins
The fuss that Natasha has been making before they have actually been born is incredible. Perhaps they should have joined their local Twins Club where they would have met so many other parent who have had two or more babies in one go.

chelseababy Mon 26-Sep-22 17:35:56

And the actress playing Shula has left. Don't know if there will be a new actress once Shula comes back from "up north". She's 79 in real life so don't blame her for retiring!

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Sep-22 07:13:10

vegans I think they are making more of the Horobins since Tracey became so popular as a character.

vegansrock Mon 26-Sep-22 07:03:26

I prefer the Horobins to the smug Archers. I feel sorry for Beth, though as she seems a nice character.,

M0nica Mon 26-Sep-22 07:00:15

Yes, Greyduster, that was the last episode I listened to, as well.

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-22 08:37:10

Gosh I haven’t listened to The Archers since we stopped our car in a lay-by to listen while some bloke fell/jumped off a roof!! Bring back Dan and Doris, I say?!

Galaxy Sat 24-Sep-22 21:00:58

I think the last episode she was in was the one where she talked about the twins and passing things on generation to generation, it was moving. I may be wrong but I thought that was it.

midgey Sat 24-Sep-22 20:46:46

June Spencer retired last month, not sure of the date though.

Galaxy Sat 24-Sep-22 20:38:59

I have just caught up with listening, yes the father of the baby was a surprise.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Sep-22 18:01:16

We listen regularly and still enjoy it. June Spencer is amazing does anyone know her final episode? I don’t think I have missed it. Hope not.

M0nica Sat 24-Sep-22 14:53:54

I have browsed this thread with light interest.

I listened to the Archers for the first 60 years, my parents imposed a hush on the house so they could listen.

Then we had all the build up for the 60th anniversary, some momentous event, that had never happened before was going to happen, then all they did was kill off a popular character, while still dealing with the side effects of the previous untimely death.

I am not sure, why but the off switch triggered in my mind and I haven't listened since

Every so often I dip back into threads like this and when I see what plot lines are being discussed, I realise what a sensible decision I made

chelseababy Fri 23-Sep-22 21:38:42

Indeed Maw that will ruffle a few feathers!

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 20:09:56

Did I hear right tonight? The father of Chelsea's baby? (No spoiler alert)
That will put the cat among the proverbial pigeons!

chelseababy Fri 23-Sep-22 17:27:56

Is anyone still listening? Just when things were looking better for Tracy we find out that Chelsea (17) is pregnant - don't yet know who the father is. Any guesses? Hope it's not George.

bridie54 Thu 08-Sep-22 13:31:26

I listen now and again to The Archers and heard the part with Tracy being taken to the food bank.
Normally for a large food bank ie run by the Trussle trust (OH did work experience there) clients did need a referral from Social Work etc, but in a local town there is a Food Hub (just another name for a food bank) but clients need no referral.
Sadly many clients to the latter try to take advantage of it but I know a volunteer personally and she is well up to a lot of the chancers who try to do this. Some ‘make up’ children to try to get extra but being a small town it’s known they don’t have children and when this is pointed out they try and then say they are grandchildren or their nephews staying with them. I know these folk may well be desperate and I don’t know what the answer is.

Daddima Thu 08-Sep-22 12:49:28

Fleurpepper, I doubt it, but the others probably won’t read this thread!

I still think it strange that when Tom and Kirsty were getting married, Peggy only gave them a set of wine glasses, yet she coughed up for the rewilding ( I still don’t understand how that works), and now a stained glass window.
And whatever happened to Hazel?

Fleurpepper Thu 08-Sep-22 11:51:55

Just wondering- am I the only one here who has never ever listened to the Archers?

Galaxy Thu 08-Sep-22 11:50:57

Did Tracey not pay off the damage done by Chelsea or am I getting confused. Jazzer wont be well paid. I still thought the food bank storyline was moving the custard creams especially. I am loathing the storyline around Ruari at the moment.

Alypoole Thu 08-Sep-22 11:34:22

I think the writers have lost the plot too. The younger characters are laughable. The story lines are dire. I'll still keep listening though ?

Franbern Fri 02-Sep-22 10:27:01

Do wonder if the sw's ever live in the real world. Okay....I am happy that they thought to have a story line about being sympathetic to foodbank users.....BUT please get some facts straight first.

Tracy only left her job at the hotel about three months ago and received a financial redundancy package. Where has all that money gone? Since then she has been receiving a wage from the chicken factory, got the sack from that so, under the rules, made herself jobless and therefore not entitled to any benefits. Her live-in partner is in paid employment, both her teenage children have part-time jobs so they should not be totally on the breadline.

How come that she was able to be taken directly into the food bank and receive a bag of shopping - no referral. This can only strengthen than believe which is held by far too many, that anyone can just walk into these places to be given a 'handout'. No way can the volunteer workers in food banks make their own decisions as to to whom to give a bag of stuff, they have to receive that refferall chitty.

Surely, there are researchers for these scripts.

Farzanah Mon 22-Aug-22 09:34:31

The scriptwriters have lost the plot ?

eGJ Sun 21-Aug-22 22:36:51

I’m getting a bit bored with it all…….introducing vaping, then experiment and disaster in as many nights. Changing George’s character and hoe come Bradley suddenly appeared so bright?
Eddie would condone a small misdemeanour, but not a big one. Thinking of giving it up after a long, long time!?

Farzanah Sun 21-Aug-22 18:01:39

Is anyone else as disaffected with the Archers recently as me? Eddy condoning George’s awful behaviour, who are they trying to appeal to, certainly not parents and grandparents I would think, and can’t imagine many young ones tuning in.

eGJ Mon 08-Aug-22 12:27:23

But Hazel has all the dough!

MawtheMerrier Mon 08-Aug-22 11:39:38

Ah, so will it be HER memorial window?

Farzanah Mon 08-Aug-22 10:02:07

She’s apparently been trying to leave for the last year but they kept writing her into the script.
Memorial window……..perhaps they’re having a joke?