Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Marriage.

(340 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 14-Aug-22 18:33:12

Who’s planning on watching this tonight on BBC1 at 9pm?

Starring the gorgeous Sean Bean and Nicola Walker.

Only snag, it’s written by the same bloke who wrote ‘Mum’, which most other GN’ers loved, and I thought was a load of nonsense.

I know I was in the minority.

Hope his latest effort is more to my taste.

But with Sean in it..,..smile?

Sara1954 Mon 22-Aug-22 12:15:17

Sorry, not very clear, what I’m trying to say is, that although some couples probably live like this, it’s not usual or normal, very sad for anyone living that life.

Sara1954 Mon 22-Aug-22 11:08:22

Marjgran
But you were obviously only seeing dysfunctional marriages, couples wouldn’t go for counselling if everything in their lives was happy.

Marjgran Mon 22-Aug-22 11:04:33

Sara1954

Marjgran
I found it completely unrealistic, I can’t imagine any marriage surviving that dreadful tedious boredom.
I know life becomes less interesting as the years go by, but there was nothing in this program that told me the characters had any joy in each other’s company.
Just sad and embarrassing
(In my opinion)

I was a couple therapist for thirty years and am married for 45 and it is realistic for the characters portrayed. Sorry you didn’t like it. I loved it.

Smurf44 Mon 22-Aug-22 10:46:18

A friend recommended this to me as she had seen episodes 1 & 2. So I persuaded my other half we would watch No 3. What a waste of time. It was very “bitty” and wasn’t easy to follow and simply nothing happened. Definitely the most boring hour of TV I’ve seen for a long time. OH gave up after half an hour. I wished we had watched the end of the European Championships instead! Especially as I don’t even like Sean Bean and rarely, if ever, like the characters Nicola Walker plays!

Bazza Mon 22-Aug-22 10:23:32

Well, it’s certainly caused a lot of opinions! 13 pages. We ploughed through it thinking it just has to improve. Wrong! Really hope they don’t do a sequel, I definitely won’t be watching it if they do.

Beckykess Mon 22-Aug-22 10:08:49

I binge watched this in the hope it would improve. However it is the most boring things I've ever watched. Life in real time while they wash up or make a sandwich! Think the "stars" should have got half pay as it only seemed to have part time acting in it!

Sara1954 Mon 22-Aug-22 08:22:14

Millie
I quite liked Jessica until the final episode, where I found her to be just as awful as her parents, I have never seen a program with so much fake, forced laughter.

Kate1949 Sun 21-Aug-22 23:18:52

Well we love it. I think it's a great observation of life.

MaggsMcG Sun 21-Aug-22 22:35:55

Some of it was filmed in my town. The Christmas Tree and snow bits were right in the middle of the first heatwave. ? I havent watched it because its had bad reviews.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 21-Aug-22 22:16:23

I watched all the episodes on BBC iPlayer. Suffice to say, I wish I'd done the ironing, painted the fence - and watched it dry. DULL.

Millie22 Sun 21-Aug-22 22:09:41

Well I've struggled through tonight's offering. What a strange couple they are. No real talking but then perhaps that's the point.

I think Jessica is lovely and her new boyfriend.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Aug-22 21:57:29

Zoejory
I’ve been married forty five years, and if our marriage was as forced and uncomfortable as this, I’d have walked years ago.

MayBee70 Sun 21-Aug-22 21:40:04

I think people make series with no proper ending to them just so another series will be commissioned. They seem to forget that the viewers want a few loose ends tied up.

Zoejory Sun 21-Aug-22 21:38:41

Nightsky2

GTDevon

I thought it was very clever and completely portrayed a long term, secure, loving relationship. Maybe if you have not encountered one then it is harder to appreciate? The long silences, the mutual understanding, the routine handholding/quick reassuring pecks on the cheek, the automatic protection of anyone who criticises your other half, the routines that require little or no comment. I could go on and on … Even the discordant (?) music has stuck. Both DH and I keep breaking into the lyrics ! It could never be described as boring. Brilliant acting by all concerned.

It could by me, boring, very boring.

Totally agree
It's definitely a case of emperor's new clothes.

I've been married for 35 years. We ate nothing like this couple. No friends of ours behave in this hideous way. Just grindingly dull.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Aug-22 21:21:18

I did feel sorry for the owners of the perfectly normal looking house that was described, twice, as a shit tip in the last episode (I’m not giving anything away there). I know people who had their house used for filming in another series, and they were so excited to see it on screen. What a slap in the face that must have been! grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Aug-22 21:15:49

Probably. I liked it very much, thought it was thought provoking and well acted. To each their own, eh?

Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 21:02:28

Perhaps that is the whole point?

Nightsky2 Sun 21-Aug-22 20:29:46

GTDevon

I thought it was very clever and completely portrayed a long term, secure, loving relationship. Maybe if you have not encountered one then it is harder to appreciate? The long silences, the mutual understanding, the routine handholding/quick reassuring pecks on the cheek, the automatic protection of anyone who criticises your other half, the routines that require little or no comment. I could go on and on … Even the discordant (?) music has stuck. Both DH and I keep breaking into the lyrics ! It could never be described as boring. Brilliant acting by all concerned.

It could by me, boring, very boring.

songstress60 Sun 21-Aug-22 20:29:20

Boring, boring, boring. Puerile rubbish with no story line at all. What a waste of good actors

MadeInYorkshire Sun 21-Aug-22 20:17:52

What a waste of 2 good actors! What on earth made them and their agents accept that - having watched all 4 (is that the end or not??) I still cannot see the point of it! What's the plot as it hasn't as yet dawned on me!!

grannybuy Sun 21-Aug-22 19:10:40

I’ve never found Sean Bean attractive, and watching this hasn’t changed my mind. It’s bleak.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Aug-22 19:03:50

Marjgran
I found it completely unrealistic, I can’t imagine any marriage surviving that dreadful tedious boredom.
I know life becomes less interesting as the years go by, but there was nothing in this program that told me the characters had any joy in each other’s company.
Just sad and embarrassing
(In my opinion)

Angela73 Sun 21-Aug-22 18:36:09

Marjgran

I remain astonished that those who didn’t like a production (that was loved by others) feel justified in saying it was crap. Say you don’t like it, yes, but pronouncing definite judgment like that is extraordinary. I haven’t had a chance to finish last episode but I intend watching it all a second time. I found it so true to life, two well drawn characters quietly revealing themselves. Of course many won’t like it - folk are different- but I jolly did! It may be unpopular but not “pretentious crap”.

That’s the way of Gransnet now. Not, “I don’t know what you think, but I…..” Not, “It’s just what I think, others might have a different view”. Not, “I’d be interested to hear others’ views, but this was my reaction….”

More - “I’m going to state what I think and woe beside anyone who thinks differently”

Marjgran Sun 21-Aug-22 18:28:14

I remain astonished that those who didn’t like a production (that was loved by others) feel justified in saying it was crap. Say you don’t like it, yes, but pronouncing definite judgment like that is extraordinary. I haven’t had a chance to finish last episode but I intend watching it all a second time. I found it so true to life, two well drawn characters quietly revealing themselves. Of course many won’t like it - folk are different- but I jolly did! It may be unpopular but not “pretentious crap”.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 21-Aug-22 18:00:49

I like Sean Bean - I used to think he was gorgeous, but he looks really old now - and I've watched 2 episodes of this today. I don't know if I'll bother watching any more. It's slow, and non-eventful. I kept thinking something would get better, but it didn't.