Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly Starts Tonight

(1001 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 23-Sep-22 09:25:27

Last week's postponed Strictly is on tonight at 7pm. Apparently Rose & Giovanni will be reprising their winning routine.

gillgran Sun 25-Sep-22 22:04:38

Prentice

Kandinsky

I used to like strictly but the same sex couples just ruin it for me now.
Ballroom dancing is man & woman.
Every year it’s getting worse for box ticking.
But it appears I’m the only one who thinks this way.
I’m glad everyone else still loves it.

You are not the only one who thinks this way, far from it I believe.Will everybody be honest in saying what they really feel? Probably not, for fear of being thought not politically correct.
It is nothing to do with prejudice it is the way that a man and a woman complement each other upon the dance floor, the way they look, move and so on.
I used to very much enjoy the programme, but with the way it has changed and the ever present fake joy as others have noticed I like it less and less.

I'm a great fan of Strictly, have been for years.
It takes me a few weeks to get to know the celebrities.
I understand what you are saying Prentice & Kandinsky, it would be my first choice to see the ballroom dances danced by a man & a woman, but the same sex couples can grow on me!
I became a real fan last year of John & Johanas. (sp)! so I'm sure that I will enjoy all the dancing & dancers.

I look forward to the following weeks, what an escape from everyday worries & woes for us.

Allsorts Sun 25-Sep-22 22:13:19

I was the biggest fan of Strictly, but didn't bother last night, it's got too diverse. When it's well under way and the pairings are down I will take a look.

BigBertha1 Sun 25-Sep-22 22:26:27

You are wise All sorts I whizzed it and just watched the dances. All the drivel that's talked in between bores me.

crazyH Sun 25-Sep-22 22:31:36

I forecast Elle is in for a long run, and will probably win. No one will vote her out. I admire her.
And yes, what has Kim Marsh done to her face ? ?

Sara1954 Sun 25-Sep-22 22:33:33

Been away for the weekend, so my granddaughter and I had to binge watch two programs.

Loved it as always, I’m not really sure how some of the pairings will work, but we’ll see.

My only problem, the really high scores. Where can they go from here?

Floradora9 Mon 26-Sep-22 21:50:34

They got their lowest viewing figures yet for this new series . Perhaps t has had it's day .

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Sep-22 08:30:42

According to critics online, those low figures are because Strictly has become too "woke".

Joseanne Tue 27-Sep-22 08:44:27

I think it is because the programme is too long with too many couples at the moment. Nearly 3 hours is crazy. Maybe they should have had fewer contestants and not started until the beginning of October.
It's all a bit of a miss mash too trying to make a point about stuff which has nothing to do with dancing and performance.

Joseanne Tue 27-Sep-22 08:45:16

But I'm still a loyal fan.

Grannynannywanny Tue 27-Sep-22 08:52:18

I just caught up with it last night and really enjoyed it. I loved Will and Nancy. I think they’ll go all the way to the final. I really enjoyed Jayde and Karen’s energetic dance and look forward to seeing how they progress.

I thought Kaye Adams made great progress. She looked awkward and ill at ease in the launch show. I was surprised how well she danced the tango.

Millie22 Tue 27-Sep-22 08:53:02

I have watched Strictly for many years and I tend to agree that the viewing figures are down because of the woke factor.

And there are too many couples which makes the programme sooo long.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 27-Sep-22 08:56:06

Millie22

I have watched Strictly for many years and I tend to agree that the viewing figures are down because of the woke factor.

And there are too many couples which makes the programme sooo long.

I feel the same.

DanniRae Tue 27-Sep-22 09:12:14

I watched "It Takes Two" last night and I really wish that Karen would stop fawning over her partner. I think Jayde must be thinking the same!

Mollygo Tue 27-Sep-22 09:24:50

Definitely too many couples, too much chit chat and too many back stories. It used to be more entertaining-remember Ed Balls? Now it seems to be more box ticking.

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Sep-22 09:55:45

Joseanne It's all a bit of a miss mash too trying to make a point about stuff which has nothing to do with dancing and performance.

Totally agree ... but I'm still a loyal fan too.

Sara1954 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:41:36

Yes, I’m a loyal fan despite the little irritations.
Yes, the opening show is too long, I absolutely hate it when they start all the “I’m doing it for my poor old gran” type of thing. I’m not interested.

But will I stop watching?
Never.

muse Tue 27-Sep-22 13:00:32

I've got used to watching Strictly with its many contestants and enjoy it. There have been 15 couples for the past 10 years bar one (covid year). I do agree that the chat between dances has got longer and could be limited.

At last - the contestants are given the choice of which sex to dance with - nothing woke about that.

Just watched and listened to Joyce Grenfell's "Stately as a galleon" ? .

Calendargirl Sat 01-Oct-22 20:13:31

Is anyone else watching? Thought they’d be a few more comments.

All seems a bit drawn out to me.

Why does Tessa’s dress remind me of Cleopatra?

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 20:15:32

I couldn't find the thread! Thanks Calendargirl!

Ellie and Nikita made me cry. ?

Zoejory Sat 01-Oct-22 20:16:27

I do enjoy it but I agree it's terribly long.

And I'm not a fan of having to wait until Sunday for the results.
I know that the results are available online if you know where to look but I try not to. I'd prefer it if they did it all in the one show.

Helen is looking very good, Will wasn't quite as brilliant as last week but the song wasn't inspiring. I do find that the music can have an impact on whether I like a dance or not!

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 20:20:10

Ellie was very good indeed.
I love the CBeebies presenter, what a lovely smile. Never mind the dancing ?

And Tony was unexpectedly good fun and not bad at all!

Casdon Sat 01-Oct-22 20:27:34

I liked Hamza, he has such a lovely smile and made a good effort. I also thought Kaye did well, she is 59, there’s no way I could have danced like that at her age, nobody has really stood out so far tonight for me though.

Calendargirl Sat 01-Oct-22 20:27:54

I totally agree about the music Zoejory. If I like the song, I view the dance much more favourably.

Why is Neil standing alongside Claudia and the previous dancers? He hasn’t got a partner, has he?

Is it a consolation prize for being overlooked, (not for the first time either)?

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 20:34:32

Molly (who is she?) was very good.
Did they miss with the umbrellas?

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 20:36:13

Oh!

I'm not such a bad judge then! Even Craig gave Molly 8 ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion