Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

University Challenge

(48 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 19:48:52

Anyone watching the new series? Quiz night is back.

M0nica Thu 06-Oct-22 23:33:47

grumppa I was earlier than you think - 1964 -. The second year it was on. The first year our team were all Union grandees out for a jolly and they did disastrously. Second year, the Debating society organised competitive written quizzes and a dummy run in the debating chamber, and we did a lot better.

grumppa Thu 06-Oct-22 18:00:59

From my perspective, MOnica, he had a preference for Cambridge over Oxford. By the time you appeared, my earlier generation of undergrads. must have drunk a hole in the production budget.

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-22 21:28:28

grummpa I do not remember any post performance drinks, just thank you and goodbye and we were left to find our way back to a rather grotty hotel in an inner suburb of Manchester,

But Bamber Gascoigne had a preference for teams from Oxbridge Colleges, not northern red brick universities like ours.

But I enjoyed it

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 21:27:03

Is it worth a thread of its own Grandma70s?

Grandma70s Tue 04-Oct-22 21:18:18

I’m watching Jeremy Paxman talking about Parkinson’s on ITV. It’s very interesting.

dahlia Tue 04-Oct-22 19:59:39

We love Only Connect, but the questions seem even harder than before, and we even find the Wall impossible to "see". Such a relief to get one or two right in the anagrams - though sometimes the categories are so obscure. We like a challenge!

Grandma70s Tue 04-Oct-22 19:38:57

On ITV tonight at 9 there’s a programme - “Paxman: Putting up with Parkinson’s”.

hollysteers Tue 04-Oct-22 18:32:05

nanna8

I can’t stand the host . Past his use by.

If you mean Paxo, I heartily agree, even making allowances now for illness.
He’s always been a grumpy, miserable so and so.
‘Give us a smile!” I shout at the screen.
Ah, fond memories of the sweet Bamber Gascoigne.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Oct-22 17:44:43

What a memorable experience for you both M0nica and grumppa

I was over the moon last night and DH was fairly amazed that I got 10 correct answers.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 17:07:50

grumppa

Well done, MOnica. My UC record even longer ago was played one, lost one. Post-recording drinks were in the bar used by the Coronation Street cast - very exciting!

I used to live in Manchester. The cast used to drink in a pub called The Pineapple if my memory is correct. My then boyfriend kept telling me he had a great surprise for me which eventually turned out to be a visit to Coronation Street. Crikey, that was 50 years ago.

Bea65 Tue 04-Oct-22 16:53:17

I'm ecstatic when I guess a right answer...doesn't happen oftengrin

grumppa Tue 04-Oct-22 16:47:57

Well done, MOnica. My UC record even longer ago was played one, lost one. Post-recording drinks were in the bar used by the Coronation Street cast - very exciting!

Mollygo Tue 04-Oct-22 16:27:45

My first Virago book was Frost in May by Antonia White. Im sure it’s still on one of our bookcases. I’ll have to find it and reread it now!

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:23:54

I thought they might not know that Burgen was a bread given that it used to be aimed at menopausal women. And I only knew that Virago was a publisher because I bought one of their books years ago ( and still haven’t read it!).

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:15:02

Go by your first instincts, Witzend, the answer is probably hidden away in the recesses somewhere ?

Witzend Tue 04-Oct-22 10:13:18

Does anyone else find (UC) that wild guesses to questions are often right? But I’m sure that if I were actually on the panel (I was once asked to join a ‘professionals’ team but was far too chicken) - I probably wouldn’t have dared to say it, assuming that it’d almost certainly be wrong.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:12:46

MayBee70

The Mothers Pride one caught me out.

I got it because I'd heard of all the breads!! ?
Just chance, isn't it, on a question like that.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:11:10

The Oz ones were OK except for the superb lyrebird. Never heard of that
Yes, that was it! I couldn't remember. I'm off to look through my book of Australian birds.

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-22 10:07:33

I was on UC, back in the early days. Won 2 matches, lost the third.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 09:35:08

Aldom

MawtheMerrier

Weird hairdo? This one?
Presumably he chooses to wear his hair like this. Probably the height of trend among his buddies!

I think, from what I can see, that this young man. is possibly suffering from frontal fibrosing alopecia. I was diagnosed with the same condition a couple of years ago. Fortunately, steroid treatment plus a six month course of antibiotics had halted the condition for me. My sympathy goes out to such a young person.

That was what I thought which is why I felt awful about mentioning it and why it made me feel uncomfortable. I’ve got thinning hair and I tend to notice other peoples hair and probably project my embarrassment onto other people.

Mollygo Tue 04-Oct-22 09:20:24

We did really well on the ’walls’ on OC last night, which isn’t always the case. Then what fun the nursery rhymes were in ‘missing vowels’. The Oz ones were OK except for the superb lyrebird. Never heard of that.
UC passed in a blur of prep, but DH must have done OK because he kept saying Yes!!!.

Aldom Tue 04-Oct-22 06:49:10

MawtheMerrier

Weird hairdo? This one?
Presumably he chooses to wear his hair like this. Probably the height of trend among his buddies!

I think, from what I can see, that this young man. is possibly suffering from frontal fibrosing alopecia. I was diagnosed with the same condition a couple of years ago. Fortunately, steroid treatment plus a six month course of antibiotics had halted the condition for me. My sympathy goes out to such a young person.

MrsKen33 Tue 04-Oct-22 05:29:28

We were on form last night. DH got 3 OC and me 2 and we both got quite a few UC. Doesn’t always happen that way though. Got the Mother’s Pride though.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 00:55:57

The Mothers Pride one caught me out.

Callistemon21 Mon 03-Oct-22 23:20:41

I got a couple, some of both walls and the Australian animals apart from the bird which I'd never heard of. (Not Emu, that was easy, the other one ?)