Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The English.

(52 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 13-Nov-22 08:39:04

Anyone watching this? It started on BBC2 the other night, Thursday I think.

After a good review on the TV guide, I caught the first episode last night.

Starring Emily Blunt, set in the Wild West.

Different.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Feb-23 23:23:11

You really have to concentrate. I did get a lot of characters mixed up and ended up rewatching it.

Pittcity Sun 05-Feb-23 09:41:45

We have started to watch this...late I know...and needed the subtitles.
To get them on iPlayer, press pause and icons appear at the top of the screen. One is for subtitles.

Enjoying the programme but very confused by the plot. Spending a lot of time trying to remember what the actors have been in before.

Calendargirl Fri 16-Dec-22 07:11:07

MayBee

I’m always going on about people who binge watch, then spoil it for others, but once programmes have gone out in their ‘proper’ time, I think it’s fine to comment on the content then.

If others have to catch up later, they shouldn’t read about it beforehand.

MayBee70 Fri 16-Dec-22 01:49:30

….someone who hasn’t seen it. Why does auto correct change things in such a weird way sometimes?

MayBee70 Fri 16-Dec-22 01:47:58

I watched it on iplayer first time round without subtitles, which I need. So I missed a lot of key things. So I’ve watched it on the tv with subtitles each week thereby making more sense of it. One of those series that I wish I could forget completely just so I could watch it again for the first time. I actually felt more emotional watching it the second time. There’s another reason why I loved it so much but I can’t really say why because it would be a terrible spoiler for someone yesterday to see it. But it’s about something else I saw a long long time ago when I was in my teens which actually had a very profound affect on me.

Arlme Thu 15-Dec-22 22:58:11

We thought it was excellent, although I was a bit confused after episode 1, got who was who gradually. Loved Eli Whipp. It was beautifully produced and the Spanish scenery was very scenic. Yes it was different and made a nice change.

Deedaa Thu 15-Dec-22 22:34:27

Oh Wow! I've just watched the final part. It's one of the rare television programmes that has left me silent. I was glued to the final hour and I'm left with so much to think about.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Dec-22 14:09:28

My daughters just finished watching it. I was desperate for her to watch it all so we could discuss it. Both agreed it was brilliant. I watched all of the interviews with the cast and Hugo Blick etc last night. I don’t know how he thought up this storyline.

Delila Sat 19-Nov-22 23:03:26

Brilliant! Television drama at its very best.

Chestnut Fri 18-Nov-22 23:58:10

Calendargirl

I didn’t know what a prairie oyster was, but thought it looked horrible.

Have just looked it up!

🤮

Me too. It is a bull's balls. Plenty of cattle out there and lots of balls being chopped off I suppose. Yuk and double yuk, poor animals.

MayBee70 Fri 18-Nov-22 20:19:03

Just watched the last two episodes and thought it was amazing. I’m still struggling with who’s who but I’ve never understood plot lines.

Calendargirl Fri 18-Nov-22 19:45:51

I didn’t know what a prairie oyster was, but thought it looked horrible.

Have just looked it up!

🤮

Nightsky2 Fri 18-Nov-22 18:15:46

Have watched the first 2 episodes and will definitely stick with it.

Chestnut Fri 18-Nov-22 18:06:01

Juliet27

The eating of ‘prairie oysters’ put me off.

That belonged in I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here 😂

NotSpaghetti Fri 18-Nov-22 16:19:00

I thought it could have been really excellent but crammed what ought to have been a much longer series, somewhat uncomfortably, into just 6 episodes.

It was beautifully filmed with sweeping camera work and it had (mainly) strong and interesting characters - it was the most promising drama I've seen for a long time.
Unfortunately it ultimately failed to live up to its promise. All that work and obvious quality - just not enough of it to fully explore the themes it raised.

Such a pity.

Juliet27 Fri 18-Nov-22 15:39:57

The eating of ‘prairie oysters’ put me off.

Aveline Fri 18-Nov-22 15:33:36

Persevere kirkcubbin. I found that switching on the subtitles helped.

kircubbin2000 Fri 18-Nov-22 13:46:17

I was told it was great and wasted an hour watching the first episode. Didn't enjoy or understand it.

MayBee70 Fri 18-Nov-22 13:18:05

Trying not to binge watch. Unfortunately I can’t get subtitles on my iplayer so I struggle to hear what they’re saying most of the time. Just starting episode 4. I do miss the days before catchup though, when I looked forward each week to see the latest episode of something I’m gripped by.

Chestnut Thu 17-Nov-22 09:44:06

With today's movies you have no idea what is fake and what isn't. Even a supposedly natural view may have been altered to suit the effect they wish to create.

Aveline Thu 17-Nov-22 07:39:43

The scenery wasn't fake. It was filmed in Spain. Wide open skies and little wind.

Granmarderby10 Wed 16-Nov-22 23:56:29

I watched the whole series on iPlayer over three nights and it is indeed very violent but in a surreal way, it reminded me of Kill Bill in that respect.
It was refreshing and moved along at a fast pace BUT it was confusing, in part because the speech was not always clear at vital moments.
The theme music and intro were good but the “ scenery” was fake albeit spectacularly because I noticed those clouds in the skyscape scenes just did not move- but maybe this was all part of the deliberate surrealist effect.

Sassanach512 Wed 16-Nov-22 19:56:44

I'm glad I stuck it out. I was going to give up at episode 2 but OH wanted to continue so we actually binge-watched the rest and it turned out quite good, if sad. Yes it was a bit violent at times but it was the wild west after all.

Aveline Wed 16-Nov-22 16:50:29

I've just finished the series. Boy. It was powerful stuff. A sad story of pretty awful times. There was some violence shown but most of it was alluded to rather than overt which was most effective.
I'm still a bit stunned by it all. It might win prizes. A bit different from the usual cop or costume dramas.

Chestnut Wed 16-Nov-22 16:26:24

'Violently nasty' is a good description Oreo and that is why I stopped in episode 2.