Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Traitors - new reality show on BBC1

(268 Posts)
Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 14:01:06

We have a new reality show starting on BBC1 Tues night called The Traitors which looks quite interesting. I will definitely give it a try. I notice they are starting it just as I'm a Celeb..... has ended. 😉
The Traitors on BBC1

VB000 Fri 23-Dec-22 10:35:52

Me neither, but here is the link anyway:
l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fentertainment%2Ftraitors-2023-applications-open-heres-28799155%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3YZ1b59YAAoWAYiMfOpgScFBx5I2O6Wd-xQFHPDBz8ILFkq8eAZjBiwKQ&h=AT27hsZwXLxltBlaVUCzN0G-nkvaIsQAaPZL0nQiHcBgbShAzwkFTwxMXjmfHjkra-JHTvPj3SBfcNS7doZQ4yZf6tyHGS-ud3PGFIkuwNWIotkSrPTIqUjxQbuEueBiLq0

Aveline Fri 23-Dec-22 10:28:34

I certainly won't be applying to enter! Too stressful!

VB000 Fri 23-Dec-22 10:24:45

OMG - what an ending! We were gripped! They are taking applications for the next series - hurrah!

Shows how (some) people will duck and dive to get the money. It seems the winners were the least threatening and most gullible contestants - at least Kieran helped the others see Wilf as he really was - they all owe him....

Doodledog it sounds as though there is a lot of psychological help for them all - see clip below:

metro.co.uk/video/alex-reassures-fans-traitors-cast-welfare-2832345/

BlueBelle Fri 23-Dec-22 09:43:36

Dragonfly I totally agree with you about Keiron I thought he was quite ok (unlike most on here) he didn’t really want to be a traitor but what choice did he have that or be murdered He was ousted at the beginning then brought in late when all the alliances had already been made so he was really an outsider I thought he was very preferably to Wilf who I didn’t take to from the very beginning Wilf certainly played the part very well (too well to trust in real life I would think) but I m very glad Keiron gave the clues to the others he played that well

Glad it s only a game but very interesting from the psychology point of view and shows how easy it is to manipulate people with a smile and pretend kindness and how hard it is to judge a seemingly ‘goodie’ and how easily people go with the majority
Maddy stuck to her guns about who was a traitor and was vindicated she was right all along

I hope they do it again

Chestnut Fri 23-Dec-22 09:39:17

foxie48 I rather hoped the remaining faithfuls would agree to share the money with Wilf because actually he'd been instrumental in keeping them in the game!

Exactly what I was thinking, but I dismissed it because I don't think they would ever consider sharing their money. Wilf must be truly gutted and if anyone will need counselling it will be him. He had worked much harder than anyone and had been within touching distance of £100k.

foxie48 Fri 23-Dec-22 08:56:53

I thought it was a really good programme with a satisfying ending. I also thought it was interesting to see easy it was to manipulate people once they thought they could trust you. I think with any reality programme it's important to remember that we only see a tiny snippet of the interactions and conversations and the real manipulation is being done by the editing of what the viewer sees. I rather hoped the remaining faithfuls would agree to share the money with Wilf because actually he'd been instrumental in keeping them in the game!

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Dec-22 08:11:52

I don’t agree about Kieran. He was put in an impossible position by Wilf and then Wilf threw him under the bus. I would have been angry in those circumstances.

Unlike the rest of you I didn’t like Amanda and was pleased when she went.

I was pleased Wilf didn’t get the money.

Aveline Fri 23-Dec-22 08:10:21

Did Claudia not say somewhere that there were counsellors or some sort of psychological support available? I'm sure I heard that. Maybe in a TV interview?

Doodledog Fri 23-Dec-22 07:41:08

I wonder if they will get psychological help afterwards to ensure that they aren’t scarred by the experience? It’s not real life - treacherous people are not randomly chosen in real life, and there’s not one in every group of people- and it would be a shame if Hannah (or any of them) had their faith in human nature dented. I guess they will have been screened for resilience at the point of selection-I hope so anyway.

Aveline Fri 23-Dec-22 07:31:33

I'm sure they will all get together at some point -except Kieran. He's a nasty piece of work. Wilf did what he had to do. He just lost it at the end and his hysterical behaviour was due to the incredible stress he must have felt.
I'm happy for Aaran's mum!

BlueBelle Fri 23-Dec-22 06:53:39

Ahh well we ll have to disagree
I didn’t take to Wilf from the very beginning and yes I agree he played it really well but I didn’t think his speech at the end sounded at all genuine if he d had said well done everyone you got me but he went so over the top to say how thrilled he was they d beat him and there’s no way he was thrilled at all

Hannah was so wrong and must make her think and poor old Maddy who no one on here seemed to like was correct from day one
It must have been awful to play a traitors part I still think Amanda was the best
I totally agree chestnut it would have been excellent to have a debriefing
But it was a brilliant show and I loved it I hope they do another series

Parsley3 Fri 23-Dec-22 06:35:17

It was an excellent final. It was also an excellent lesson in how our opinions can be based on the flimsiest of what we take as evidence and then changed on a whim.
I don't think Wilfred is a bad person but he didn't choose to be a traitor and he did what he did to survive. Future contestants will now know to trust nobody.

Doodledog Fri 23-Dec-22 01:54:18

I completely agree with your post of 00.08, Chestnut.

I think the psychology of the game has been fascinating, and also the psychology behind the posts on here grin

Thanks all, for an interesting discussion.

Chestnut Fri 23-Dec-22 00:13:56

What I would have liked was a final scene where the last 8-10 got together for a chat, because the last time they see each other is when someone walks out. They must all want to express their feelings on the ending and two traitors being expelled just in time!

Chestnut Fri 23-Dec-22 00:08:40

Well the ending was amazing!

I feel that Kieran is not a very nice person, and could be very nasty indeed if he meets up with Wilf again. He was absolutely raging at the end and made some really inappropriate comments.

Wilf played such a brilliant game, I feel he deserved at least some of the money, but unfortunately lost the plot when he could see it slipping away. He became quite hysterical, and Hannah was onto him straight away.

It might seem as though Wilf is a back stabber but I like him a lot more than Kieran who I definitely wouldn't trust in real life.

Doodledog Thu 22-Dec-22 23:53:29

Agreed, Oreo.

I didn't like the way he explicitly swore he was a faithful, but I thought his congratulations at the end were sincere. Yes, he would have preferred to win, as would every single one of them, but given that he lost I think he was pleased it went to the ones who were his friends.

I am also looking forward to the next series.

Oreo Thu 22-Dec-22 23:25:26

How do you know he pretended tho!😂
Of course he wanted the cash, they all did, but he said he was glad that it was those three who got it once he was out of the game.
I see it as better to lose with good grace than to storm off and rage and cry.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Dec-22 23:07:27

No I still see Wilf as two faced, as all the way through he was saying how he had to win and he would throw anyone under the bus to win, he stabbed all three of the other traitors in the back to win so yes he played a blinder and did really well BUT and here’s my but at the very end he pretended and this is where I find him totally lacking he pretended he was thrilled they d caught him out and he was so pleased they d won the money I didn’t like that at all

Oreo Thu 22-Dec-22 22:59:08

Chestnut

Amanda is my favourite and I really thought she had it in the bag until that fatal mistake. I think she may have blown it. My second favourite is Aaron. Yes I know he cried but he has also impressed me once or twice on the challenges being quite resourceful and brave. For a 24 year old he is fairly sensible.

For some reason I'm not keen on Andrea, she just seems a bit needy and doesn't seem to contribute, just hangs onto the others.

👍🏻

Oreo Thu 22-Dec-22 22:56:44

Doodledog👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Wilf had to do what he had to do BlueBelle a bit much to call him a twofaced git! In fact thinking about it, it’s way too much.
lixy he didn’t play the game as well as Amanda, but better than Alyssa.
Although it was a cracking final and three good people won the money, I think it was iffy of the game producers to allow
Kieran to tell the others that that Wilf’s name was a parting gift.
Both Alyssa and Amanda accepted the verdict with good grace.
Kieran was lousy as a traitor and left with bad grace.
Can’t wait for the next Traitors, hope it’s not too long.

lixy Thu 22-Dec-22 22:48:46

I was glad Kieron did what he did at the end. I do think Wilf was a really good 'Traitor' and played the game very well.

Trouble is that I would find it very hard to trust him at all should I ever meet him in real life having watched that amazing performance. I know actors play 'baddies' but this was sustained manipulation.

I thought Claudia W was excellent.

Doodledog Thu 22-Dec-22 22:42:31

BlueBelle

I agree Visgirl I was shouting at the tv and I m glad Keiron said what he did and got them all thinking but I think Wilf turning it round like he was thrilled at losing when we know he was furious shows what a two faced git he was (is) I d be aware of him in real life he d throw anyone under the bus

I really don't see it like that. It's like saying that someone who wins at chess is a two faced git for manoeuvring the game so that their opponent lost.

In real life, someone who told a friend they would stand by them then didn't would be a bad person, but this was a game where the point was to win. Plus, the traitors were randomly chosen - what were they meant to do? The only alternative to playing to win would be to spoil the game, and there is probably something in the contract to prevent them from doing that.

lixy Thu 22-Dec-22 22:40:25

I'm so glad for Hannah, Meryl and Aaron's mum - well played all of them.
I wonder if there'll be a reunion like at the end of the Bake Off - that would be worth being a fly on the wall for!

nanaK54 Thu 22-Dec-22 22:40:23

Excellent ending, Wilf should not have issued that ultimatum

BlueBelle Thu 22-Dec-22 22:34:39

I agree Visgirl I was shouting at the tv and I m glad Keiron said what he did and got them all thinking but I think Wilf turning it round like he was thrilled at losing when we know he was furious shows what a two faced git he was (is) I d be aware of him in real life he d throw anyone under the bus