Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC2. COW

(7 Posts)
snowberryZ Mon 05-Dec-22 18:18:39

Well that was harrowing but very well made nonetheless.
Its a film/documentary following the life of a diary cow, from birth to death.
It might just prompt me to give up dairy.

I think it's on Catch-up.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:19:19

I couldn’t bear it.

snowberryZ Mon 05-Dec-22 18:22:20

Wish we had an option to edit posts.
Dairy not diaryconfused

BeverleyJB Mon 05-Dec-22 18:31:11

I don't think I could watch it - would give me nightmares.
I do my best to minimise the amount of dairy I consume, but vegan alternatives can be so expensive. At least by cutting down, I’m helping on some small way to cut down on any cruelty sad

Farmor15 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:37:37

I live in a rural area surrounded by farms, mainly dairying. I've seen various stages of the cows' lives, from calving, milking and also been to an abattoir a few times. It hasn't put me off dairy products or eating meat.
I live in Ireland where agriculture isn't very intensive and the animals are outside in fields much of the year and housed in sheds for a few months in winter.
I haven't seen the documentary referred to in OP.

snowberryZ Mon 05-Dec-22 20:24:07

I get the feeling the cows have it slightly better in the UK, compared to say, the USA , where they have these mega 'farms' where cattle never know the pleasure of being in the green countryside. They're kept in massive barns their whole lives.
Must be horrific.

snowberryZ Mon 05-Dec-22 20:27:22

Its especially distressing seeing the mothers separated from their calves and the one mother could hardly walk because her milk producing organs had been let get too big.
They had to raise her on blocks to milk her as it was dragging on the floor. angry